Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evaporated milk vs. regular milk in no-bake cookies

Posted by jenn (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 19:20

I have a recipe for no-bake cookies (made in a saucepan on the stove, then dropped by spoonfuls onto a tray to set) that calls for evaporated milk. I don't have evaporated milk, so I'm wondering what's the worst that might happen if I use regular milk. I know the difference in the milks -- I'm just asking if the texture of the cookies might be wetter, sweeter, or what.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evaporated milk vs. regular milk in no-bake cookies

Jenn,
I have only ever used regular milk which is what my recipe called for. My cookies have always turned out. Hope this helps
Jackie

o

jenn, I've used evaporated milk in no bake cookies, also in fudge and baked goods.

I can't tell the difference in taste, the chocolate and peanut butter in my cookies are assertive enough that the evaporated milk isn't a taste factor, in my opinion.

Annie

o

Evaporated milk just has less water in it. It's more important if your milk has less fat than regular, and, in fact, non-fat evaporated milk is often used in recipes as a substitute for full fat fresh milk.

If you want to evaporate your milk, just heat it gently and let it reduce. Best way is in a glass vessel in a saucepan with water on low simmer, stirring fairly regularly, but for cookies, you could probably just put it in a non-reactive pan right on the heat and stir a little more.

o

Thank you for your replies.

I may try evaporating my milk and see how it turns out. However, I am very pressed for time.

What if I reduce the amount of milk by 1-2 Tbsp. and add the same amount of butter?

o

jenn, I wouldn't bother to reduce the milk or the amount, I think it's fine, but I don't think it would hurt to swap some milk with butter either. I often switch skim and whole milk, use milk instead of cream, evaporated milk in place of regular milk, etc. I do get a better texture in things like cream soups or ice cream with the higher fat alternatives, but in candy and baked goods I use whatever I have on hand. Things like Ann T's scones are better with cream, of course, but they are entirely acceptable with milk too. I think your cookies will be fine but I also don't think more butter is ever a bad thing. (grin)

Annie

o

Could you add some dry instant milk to regular milk? If you added enough, it might approximate the thicker texture of evaporated milk.

o

This may be too late............

Evaporated milk substitutes:

-double-strength powdered milk (use twice as much milk powder) Example: for 1-cup of milk using Grandma's Country Cream Non-fat Milk, the recipe is 2 T. milk powder to 1 cup water. For double-strength use 4 T. milk powder to 1 cup water.

-half and half

I've included the link for Cook's Thesaurus where you can find food substitutes galore. A useful tool to check when you need a quick substitute idea.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cook's Thesaurus

o

Grainlady - not too late at all, thank you!

And thanks to all of you. I have a few options.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here