Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stovetop smoker question

Posted by ynnej (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 19:18

I've been considering purchasing a stovetop smoker, and most of the ones I've seen boast that they cook with no fat. To me, this is a bad thing, as I am a big believer in healthy fats. I'm assuming that you could add fat if you prefer, but that it's not necessary, correct? I would love to hear about your experiences, on veggies especially.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stovetop smoker question

ynnej - I don't think smoking has anything to do with fats, but I don't know which smoker you're considering. Most smokers have a place to hold the smoking materials - typically wood or wood chips - over a heat source. The food being smoked is put somewhere in the path of the smoke which is produced by heating the wood chips. Fats are not involved, other than perhaps by oiling the rack where the food being smoked is placed.

I've never owned a stovetop smoker, but we smoke in an electric smoker outdoors, and I've smoked in a wok. There is no fat used in either.

Cheryl

o

You can smoke anything with or without fat, but fat is good for smoking. It takes in smoke flavor very well.

Think bacon, smoked salmon, smoked duck ------.

dcarch

o

Thank you!

o

I remember you asking about these on another thread and wondering exactly what you were talking about - and I'm still curious. :)

o

FOAS, I'm not quite sure I know what I'm talking about either. No brilliant plan, that's for sure. Just longing for some smokiness, and smoked salt isn't quite cutting it.

o

ynnej - do you have a wok? You can set up a simple smoker using a large wok with lid, even a lid made with foil. The link below gives an example of this. I've done tea-smoked chicken and duck in a wok, and it was delicious. I used a mix of sugar, salt, aromatic spices (cinnamon, star anise, cloves) and tea for my smoke. I've also done salmon this way. It is a bit more work than using a dedicated smoker but if you don't want to invest in one, woks are a way to get good results.

Cheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: smoking salmon in a wok

o

Dear 'Backwards Jenny', ((as brought to the forfront
by our own lovely Lpink, (Lord bless her soul)),
Do you have ANY outdoor space? Only 4 square feet is
all that is necessary for an outdoor electric smoker.
They have a footprint of a dormatory sized refrigerator.
AND, I believe they use less electricity than the
aforementioned fridge. The one that I have, (which
many of the CF members have), is sooooooo simple
to operate. It's all digital and only requires you
to plug it in and push a few buttons. Of course,
you've got to obtain some wood chips, and soak them,
but other than that, it's EASY PEASY, (a term that is
popular here on CF, and describes the process 'PERFECTLY').
The brand I have is Mastercraft, and I purchased it at
Bass Pro, (yes, they sell things other than guns),
for $199.00 a few years ago. I have to admit,
it is one of the BEST purchases I have EVER made.
Peace be with you, My Child.

o

And also with you. An outdoor smoker is something I would like to get eventually, but is currently out of our price range. And no, I don't own a wok either. I suppose if I had to choose between the smoker and the wok, it would make more sense to get the latter, and use the method described in the link. I don't know how I feel about having a nickname. Sometimes it feels like you guys are giving me a swirly in the girls bathroom. But if that's what it takes for you to hang out with me...

o

Have one of those stove top smokers... picked up for less than $5 at a yard sale... never even used before. Have done my spin on "pastrami" in it. FOund recipe for a rub to go on a corned beef... after simmered till tender. Though not technically a pastrami, was a successful experiment.

Years ago, bought a cast iron thingie at Walmart, I think. A box... maybe 6X8X1?? Ya put soaked wood chips in it and placed it right in the gass grill. They slowly smoldered and did a nice job on a smoked turkey breast.

o

ynnej - a wok wouldn't set you back a whole lot. I don't know what kind of range you cook on, but check out the link (no affiliation). The traditional round-bottomed carbon steel woks work very well on gas. If you cook on an electric element, try the flat-bottomed woks.

Check out freecycle and craigslist as well. A lot of people buy woks and wok sets but never learn how to use them, so will sell at low cost or give away.

Cheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: the wok shop

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here