SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

Tomato tart...or pie.

lindac
11 years ago

Rather than add to the right turn of the "friend for lunch" thread, I thought i would start a new one.

Several years ago a friend asked me for Sunday night supper. she had a recipe she wanted to try....and thought I was a likely guinea pig.

She served a tomato tart....or pie. It was in a pie shell layeres with sliced tomatoes, basil leaves on top.....and mayo??

I ate and enjoyed before I asked for the recipe.....and of course lost the recipe as it was scribbled on a napkin.

Ever hear of such a recipe? I had no idea there was mayo.....and perhaps there was some cheese too, but not a lot.

And she doesn't remember....think it came from Bon Appetite or Cooking Light....or perhaps Gourmet.

Thoughts?

Or perhaps a different recipe for a tomato pie or tart.

Comments (18)

• jadeite
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Linda,

The link below is to a tomato tart I've made. With good tomatoes it is delicious, BUT I recall that the tomatoes rendered a fair amount of liquid making the tart soggy. If I were doing it again, I would salt the tomatoes and let them drain before layering into the pastry shell.

Cheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: heirloom tomato tart

• kathleenca
    11 years ago

Hi Linda,

I have 3 tomato pie recipes I like a lot. Ruthieg_tx posted this one:

Tomato Pie
    6 servings

1 9-inch pie shell
    1/2 yellow or red onion, chopped
    3-4 plum tomatoes, cut in half horizontally, seeded, squeezed to remove excess juice, roughly chopped, to yield approximately 3 cups chopped tomatoes
    1/4 cup sliced basil (about 8 leaves)*
    2 cups grated cheese (combination of sharp Cheddar and Monterey Jack, or Gruyere or Mozzarella)
    3/4 cup mayonnaise
    1 teaspoon (or more to taste) of Frank's Hot Sauce (or Tabasco)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    *To slice basil, chiffonade them by stacking the leaves on top of each other, roll them up like a cigar, starting at one end slice the "cigar" crosswise in thin slices.

1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Place pie shell in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes or longer until lightly golden. If you are starting with a frozen crust, you'll need to cook it a little longer.
    2 Squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the chopped tomatoes, using paper towels, a clean dish towel, or a potato ricer.
    3 Sprinkle the bottom of the pre-cooked pie shell with chopped onion. Spread the chopped tomatoes over the onions. Sprinkle the sliced basil over the tomatoes.
    4 In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, Tabasco, a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground black pepper. The mixture should be the consistency of a gooey snow ball. Spread the cheese mixture over the tomatoes.
    5 Place in oven and bake until browned and bubbly, anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes. Ruthieg tx

And this one came from glenda_al, who posted it on the Kitchen Table Forum:

Tomato Pie
    3 cups chopped tomatoes, put in colander, salted to pull the juices and squeeze with paper towel.**I used Roma.
    MAKE SURE YOU GET AS MUCH JUICE OUT OF THE TOMATO AS POSSIBLE - let set in colander at least 20 minutes to drain, then squeeze with paper towel.
    9 inch pie shell, slightly browned, bottom pricked and egg wash.
    1/2 onion thinly sliced (much better if you caramelize)
    2 cups Italian cheese, grated, or Cheddar will work**I used Kraft Italian
    3/4 cup mayonnaise, NOT Miracle Whip
    1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/8 tsp Italian seasoning

Place onions, then tomatoes, then top with basil in pie shell.
    Mix together mayo, cheeses, garlic and Italian seasoning.
    Spread over pie
    Bake 350 25-45 minutes. Let cool completely, serve at room temp or slightly heated. I ended up cooking it 45 minutes. Glenda-al
    I baked it last nite, put in refrigerator, took it out when I went to water class, and had it in the oven and timer set. Heated it at 250 until warm, 1 hr or less, and I put an aluminum tent over it.
    You need to let it set if you are serving it that day, to warm or room temp so it won't be runny.

This last one came from Bon Appetit in the '90s.

Tomato, Cheese and Herb Tart
    8 servings

1 pie crust, baked until pale golden, and cooled
    5 medium tomatoes, cut in 1/2-inch thick slices and drained on paper towels about 45 minutes
    9 oz Emmenthal or Gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
    1 Tbsp minched fresh basil or 1 tsp dried
    1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp dried
    1 tsp minced fresh oregano or 1/4 tsp dried
    3 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    Pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    Top crust with Emmenthal cheese slices.
    Arrange tomatoes atop cheese, overlapping slightly.
    Sprinkle herbs, then Parmesan cheese over tomatoes. Season with pepper.
    Bake until cheese melts and tomatoes are tender, about 35 minutes. Cool slightly.

• Related Discussions

Tomatos, Squash & Pie Pumkins??

Q

Comments (0)
    I have a 6ft by 16ft plot that I am planing to put 10 to 12 tomatos in on about 32 inch spacing. I would also like to get a few squash and pie pumpkins in somewhere. Can I put a squash or pie pumkin in between the tomatos? Has anyone tried this before? Anyone know of any problems with compatability? Or I am just trying to stuff too much into a small plot? Any comments appreciated!!
    ...See More

NCHFP Green Tomato/Apple Pie Filling

Q

Comments (2)
    My understanding, especially after I looked at the recipe, is that they mean the candied peel that one uses in fruit cakes, for instance. This time of year you should see the plastic containers of candied pineapple, cherries, mixed fruits, etc., ... and hopefully you can find just the candied orange or lemon peel. While it is true that you can "make" your own candied peel (and I've done that with thin slices of orange and grapefruit years ago, and it is a lengthy process), but you don't want to try and cook that up now just for the recipe. And I don't believe that just slicing the peel from a fresh piece of citrus fruit would give you (and the recipe) the true taste it needs. But that's an option, of course. One-quarter cup isn't a huge amount. This recipe actually looks really delicious to me, and I bet it has the taste of almost-mincemeat. While that might not appeal to you, it does me! ha ha I hope you let us know how it turns out, and what you think of it. Good luck. Oh, and you do know that the "white raisins" the recipe calls for are really golden raisins, right? You should be able to find those in any major supermarket along with the boxed standard darker raisins.
    ...See More

Tomatoes, Squash & Pie Pmupkins

Q

Comments (2)
    Honestly it sounds over-crowded to me. Plus since it is 6' wide you'll need an access path in there somewhere. Over-crowding can lead to all sorts of disease and pest problems. But the two big problems that jump out at me are 1) squash bugs infesting the tomatoes and 2) all the vines climbing the tomato cages/stakes, either pulling them over or smothering the tomato plants. Consider bush varieties of squash in a container away from the tomatoes and the pumpkins off one end where the vines can run out onto the yard rather than toward the tomato plants. Hope this helps. Dave
    ...See More

Thank you for your Tomato Pie recipe, Glenda_al!

Q

Comments (2)
    Tomato pie recipe 3 cups chopped tomatoes, put in colander, salted to pull the juices and squeeze with paper towel. 9 inch pie shell, slightly browned, bottom pricked and egg wash. 1/2 onion thinly slicked (much better if you caramelize) 2 cups Italian cheese grated or cheddar will work 3/4 cup mayonnaise 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil 1/4 tsp garlic powder 1/8 tsp Italian seasoning Place onions, then tomatoes, then top with basil in pie shell. Mix together mayo, cheeses, garlic and italian seasoning. Spread over pie Bake 350 25-45 minutes. Let cool completely, serve at room temp or slightly heated.
    ...See More
  • deeebert
    11 years ago

Allrecipes.com has some tomato tart/pie recipes.

• caliloo
    11 years ago

This isn't a Tomato Pie, but it is tomatoes on a lovely phyllo crust with parm and herbs. Maybe this recipe from Chase would work for you?

Stacked Pizza

7 sheets phyllo pastry
    1/2 cup butter melted
    7 TBSP freshly grated parmesan
    1 1/2 cups grated mozarella
    1 sweet onion sliced thinly
    5-6 roma tomatoes, sliced
    1 tsp oregano
    salt and pepper to taste ( I don't use any I find the parm salty enough
    and I forget about the pepper!!!)
    fresh herbs sprigs thyme, oregano or rosemary

Preheat oven to 375. Follow package instructions to thaw phyllo. Place
    1 sheet of phyllo on baking sheet, brush with butter and sprinkle with
    1 TBSP of the parmesan cheese. Repeat until all layers are used. Press
    down firmly so layers stick together. Sprinkle top sheet with
    mozerella. Place onions on top then place tomatoes on top. Season with oregano.
    Bake for 20-25 minutes until edges are golden, and the bottom is
    cooked. Decorate with fresh herbs and cut into squares.

Notes: I slice the onions and then cut circles in half to arrange on
    top. I also try and line the tomatoes up in a diagonal pattern I don't
    place them randomly and then when I cut it I cut the squares so each piec
    has 1 roma slice. I also don't measure anything anymore I just
    sprinkle the cheese. I use rosemary but I cut the leaves off the stems. I've
    often cooked it with the rosemary on it. I also line my baking sheet
    with parchment paper.

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

I use this one by Paula Deen. (discovered years ago before she went nuts) Draining the tomatoes in a colander gets a lot of the water out of them. My variations are: pre-bake the pie crust for about 10 minutes. Keeps it crisper, use mozzarella and grated parmesan cheese but only enough light mayo to moisten cheese. 1 cup is way to much for me. Fresh basil and green onions are required! as are garden tomatoes lol
    Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/tomato-pie-recipe/index.html

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

Glenda has made one and posted it a few times both here and at the Kitchen Table.

Tomato pie recipe

3 cups chopped tomatoes, put in colander, salted to pull the juices and squeeze with paper towel.**I used roma
    MAKE SURE YOU GET AS MUCH JUICE OUT OF THE TOMATO AS POSSIBLE let set in colander at least 20 minutes to drain then squeeze with paper towel
    9 inch pie shell, slightly browned, bottom pricked and egg wash.
    1/2 onion thinly sliced (much better if you caramelize)
    2 cups Italian cheese grated or cheddar will work**I used Kraft Italian
    3/4 cup mayonnaise NOT Miracle Whip
    1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/8 tsp Italian seasoning

Place onions, then tomatoes, then top with basil in pie shell.
    Mix together mayo, cheeses, garlic and italian seasoning.
    Spread over pie

Bake 350 25-45 minutes. Let cool completely, serve at room temp or slightly heated. I ended up cooking it 45 minutes.

You need to let it set if you are serving it that day, to warm or room temp so it won't be runny.Think my refrigerating it overnite helped, and then heated it to warm this morning.

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

I wish there was an edit button sometimes, and this is one of those times.

KathleenCA posted Glenda's recipe, and I missed it.
    I remember RuthieTX posting hers as well, at one time. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention, Kathleen.

• bbstx
    11 years ago

This is similar to others posted...just a little different. I love this recipe and have made it often.

Basil Tomato Tart

one pie crust (Pillsbury Redi-crust)
    1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella (6 oz), divided
    5 Roma or 4 medium tomatoes
    1 cup loosely packed fresh basil (or equivalent dried basil, appx 2 Tblsp)
    4 cloves garlic
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/8 tsp white pepper

Unfold pie crust according to package directions. Place in a 9 inch quiche dish or pie plate. Flute edges. Pre-bake according to package directions. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of mozzarella.

Cut tomatoes into wedges; drain on paper towels. Arrange tomato wedges atop melted cheese in shell. In a food processor bowl, combine basil and garlic; cover and process until coarsely chopped. Add remaining mozzarella, Parmesan, mayonnaise, and pepper. Briefly process - just enough to barely blend. Spoon over the top of the tomatoes - spreading to evenly cover the top. (This will be stiff - you'll have to use your fingers to spread.)

Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until top is golden and bubbly.

8 appetizer servings or 4 main dish servings

Note: When you take this out of the oven, the tomatoes seem to stay hot for a long time. Be careful when eating.

• kathleenca
    11 years ago

I really like tomato pie/tart, jasdip. I think I'll make bbstx's this weekend since our weather has turned lots warmer.

• angelaid
    11 years ago

We tried Glenda's recipe. Hubby loved it!

• lindac
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well....we are still a way from tomato season......going to have to save these recipes.
    But I am really looking for a tomato pie that is not full of cheese....not a "faux pizza' but more of an honest tomato pie!

Think I'll go out and water my tomatoes again.

• kathleenca
    11 years ago

Hi Linda,

I've gone through even my old collectible cookbooks & may have found a few recipes for you. If you're interested, I'll be glad to post any or all of them.

First, Irma Rombauer in the Joy of Cooking has a Quick Tomato Tart that has no cheese, but with mushrooms, cream of tomato soup, tomato puree, liver sausage & stuffed olives. (She's really trying here.) Her second Tomato Tart has tomato puree, white sauce, chicken livers & stuffed olives.

Judy Rodgers, who owns & runs the renowned Zuni Cafe in San Francisco, has an onion tart without cheese, but with saffron, tomato & anchovies - but it isn't exactly the classic tomato tart.

And I found two recipes with just 1/2 c Parmesan in a classic tomato tart, I think in Junior League cookbooks.

Kathleen

• lindac
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Please post (or send to me) the one from the Zuni Cafe and the one in the Jr League cook book....
    Not interested in chicken livers and tomato soup...I am looking for one that showcases garden fresh tomatoes!
    Thanks for the search!!
    Linda C....watered the tomatoes tonight....it'll be a while!!

• happyintexas
    11 years ago

Here's my favorite...it gets rave reviews from the family when I bring it to our events.

Southern Tomato Pie

Serves 10-12
    8 plum tomatoes ,any well flavored, ripe tomato works
    1 tsp. salt
    12 thick bacon slices
    1 and a half cup fresh spinach, stems removed, and leaves chopped roughly
    2 cups shredded Italian six cheese blend
    1 and a half cups light mayo (I use just enough to moisten, so I rarely use that much.)
    1 cup canned artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    1 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
    4 green onions, thinly sliced
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 tsp. crushed red pepper
    2 ready made, roll out pie crusts, shaped to fit 9x13 pan

1.Cut tomatoes into half inch slices. Place on a paper towel lined wire rack. Sprinkle tomatoes with salt. Let stand for 20 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.

2.Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium high heat 8-10 minutes or until crisp, remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon.

3.Combine crumbled bacon, spinach, and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl until well blended.

4.Spread half a cup spinach mixture on bottom of piecrust.

5.Layer with half of tomato slices; top with half remaining spinach mix. Repeat layers once. Cover loosely with foil. I like to end with tomato slices and a sprinkling of cheese.

6.Bake pie, covered at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Bake an additional 25 minutes without a cover. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

• kathleenca
    11 years ago

Hi Linda,

Here are the Zuni Cafe & two Junior League recipes for tomato pies. I included the California JL recipe because it calls for Cheddar rather than the milder white cheeses that most recipes specify, so it's different. (This cookbook has been one of myt favorites & very reliable for me for over 30 years.) I hope you enjoy.

Savory Onion Tarts with Saffron, Tomato, Anchovies & Olives
    Adapted from The Zuni Cafe Cookbook
    4 servings

1 package puff-pastry, defrosted
    3 tbsp. olive oil
    3 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
    salt
    1 bay leaf
    a sprig of thyme
    a few saffron threads
    1 small, very ripe tomato or 15-20 cherry tomatoes (about 3 oz)
    4 salt-packed anchovy filets, cut lengthwise into 3 or 4 strips each
    extra-virgin olive oil
    4 mild black olives

Warm the olive oil in a frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and a few sprinkles of salt. Let the onions cook until they start browning, then stir and let the onions cook again, stirring every few minutes until all the onions are lightly golden. Add the bay leaf, thyme and saffron, stir and cook until the onions are golden and tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
    Slice the tomato about 1/4 �inch thick or halve the cherry tomatoes, and salt very lightly. Let set for a few minutes to drain, then pat with a towel to sop up moisture.
    Drizzle the anchovies with extra-virgin olive oil
    When you are ready to assemble the tarts, turn on the oven to 400F. Grease a baking sheet or cover it with wax paper. Remove the puff pastry from the box and lay flat in a working surface. Cut the pastry into squares measuring 8" across. To get two squares out of a 13" packaged sheet, you may have to cut out one square and then combine the two resulting rectangles.
    Place one fourth of the cooled onions into each rectangle and spread, stopping about 1" from the borders. Top with the tomato slices, the anchovy strips& the olives. Fold up the borders. Bake until golden, about 20-30 minutes.

Fresh Tomato Tart
    From the Junior League Celebration Cookbook
    6 servings

1 pie crust, baked
    3 large ripe tomatoes
    seasoned salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
    1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried
    1/2 c. mayonnaise
    1/2 c. grated/shaved Parmesan cheese
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 c. cracker crumbs

Slice the tomatoes & place in layers in the tart shell. Sprinkle with the seasoned salt, pepper & basil.
    Combine the mayonnaise, Parmesan & garlic powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture over the tomatoes.
    Sprinkle with the cracker crumbs.
    Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Serve warm or cold.

Tomato Pie
    From the California Heritage Cookbook, Junior League of Pasadena
    6-8 servings

1 9-inch pie shell, baked
    2-3 medium tomatoes, peeled, cored &thickly sliced
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    1/4 c chopped fresh chives or green onions
    1/4 c mayonnaise
    1 c shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (4 oz)

Line the pie crust with the tomatoes, covering the bottom completely. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, basil & chives.
    In a small mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise & cheese. Spread the mixture evenly over the tomato slices, making sue to seal the edges of the pie crust completely.
    Bake at 425 degrees for 35 minutes. Serve at once while hot & bubbling.
    Note: May also be prepared using 6 tart shells about 2 inches in diameter. Divide ingredients among the shells & bake at 400 degrees for 2-25 minutes

• kathleenca
    11 years ago

I did make bbstx's Basil Tomato Tart this weekend. Rich, & very good. There was enough for a dinner & a lunch & I shared two slices with a friend. Thanks for posting it!

And I'm looking forward to trying HappyinTexas's recipe. I haven't seen a recipe for a tomato pie before that will feed a lot without making two pies, nor one with bacon & spinach - yum! I have to confess it's never occured to me to use 2 pie crusts for a 9x13 dish. DUH!

• lindac
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kathleen, those 2 Jr League recipes are more like what I am thinking of!
    I am going to need a whole separate file in my recipes for tomato pies!!
    Thanks all!

• anoriginal
    11 years ago

Tomato "pie" in the South Philly area is sort of a pizza without sauce or cheese. Pretty sure it's basically GOOD dough, olive oil and thin sliced GOOD tomatoes.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm