SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Bread bakers - Have you heard of Japanese milk bread?

shambo
11 years ago

A while ago I came across a blog entry devoted to Japanese milk bread and was intrigued by the "water roux" method -- tangzhong. It's supposed to give the bread an incredibly soft & fluffy texture while improving its keeping qualities. The last few visits my daughter & her husband have brought us baked goods from a popular Japanese bakery near their home. The pastries all seem to be made with a very soft dough. Yesterday they also brought some bread. It, too, was very soft. As I was munching away, I remembered the milk bread recipe. I think the pastries & bread probably used a similar recipe.

Have any of you used a water roux before? Do you think it really makes a difference in achieving a super soft texture? The roux is created by mixing bread flour and water together and cooking it at gentle heat until it reaches 65 degrees. Supposedly, by adding it to the dough, the resulting bread or roll texture will be very moist and soft.

I'm just curious about the whole idea. Also, I'm wondering if the same technique could be used with whole wheat flour, especially the finely milled white whole wheat flour.

The link below shows several recipes from TasteSpotting. Here's a link to a fairly representative recipe: Japanese Milk Bread

Here is a link that might be useful: TasteSpotting examples of Tangzhong

Comments (10)