SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Crustless spinach pie failed

lpinkmountain
9 years ago

I just can't do quiche or spanikopita anymore with the fat and carbs in the crust, so I'm trying to perfect a crustless spinach pie. My first attempt was beginners luck, I just mixed up some cottage cheese, feta, spinach and eggs in a 9x9 pan. It was good, very creamy but not very thick or "pie-like" more like runny scrambled eggs. This time I tried it in a greased pie pan, with more eggs, a few splashes of cream, and a mix of ricotta, parmesan and goat cheese. I used ricotta because I had some to use up. It was too done on the outside, and not done enough on the inside, and it stuck to the pan.

I combed the Internet for recipes and used 5 eggs, 1 cup of the cheeses, and about 1/4 cup of the cream, 10 oz or so of drained, squeezed chopped spinach.

What to do next time? Perhaps make in a bain marie? I'm not going to use the pie tin next time, maybe just a 9 inch round cake pan. Other than that . . . wondering about maybe more cream. All those eggs make it kind of rubbery but it was ultimately overcooked. Also I baked it at 375, not sure if that was too hot. That was the temp. called for in my quiche recipe, that's the only reason I picked that temp. Oh, and now I find that the ricotta is not setting well with my lactose intolerance. Once again, this baffles me since cottage cheese does not bother me!

Comments (9)