Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Potato Hash - can it be frozen?

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 18:10

This is one of my absolutely favorite recipes. We are going to the beach with friends. Most breakfasts will be cold cereal, fruit, bagels, etc. As a treat one morning I would like to fix this dish. I would like to make it up to the point of adding the eggs, freeze it, and take it with me in a cooler, of course. It would partially thaw on the way and I would probably finish cooking it the next day.

Do you think freezing is going to change the flavor or texture of the ingredients? Would there be some reason to cook and freeze the meat (which may be sausage or may be bacon) separately?

Any other pearls of wisdom?

Sweet Potato Hash with Caramelized Onions, Sausage & Eggs
serves 8

2 pounds onions, about 2 large
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Table salt
1 pound fresh Italian sausage or chorizo
3 pounds sweet potatoes, about 3 large potatoes, ideally organic
6 large garlic cloves
4 long stalks rosemary, about 1/4 cup of leaves
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more to taste if necessary
Freshly ground black pepper

To serve:
Large eggs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Parmesan cheese, to serve

To make the hash:
Heat the oven to 450 degrees F. Peel the onions and cut them in half lengthwise, then cut them into thin half-moons. Cut the half-moons in half. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. When it foams up add the onions and sprinkle lightly with salt. (Don't worry if they are crammed into the pan; they will rapidly cook down.) Lower the heat slightly and cook the onions for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, and lowering the heat if they seem to be burning. Cook them until they are very dark brown.

Meanwhile, put the sausage in another skillet and brown over medium-high heat, chopping it up into fine crumbles with a spatula. Cook the sausage for about 10 minutes, or until it is browned and beginning to crisp. Drain away any excess fat.

While the onions and sausage are cooking, chop the unpeeled sweet potatoes into cubes that are about 1/2-inch to a side. Finely mince the garlic and rosemary leaves, and toss them in a large bowl with the sweet potatoes. Toss with the olive oil, kosher salt, and a generous helping of black pepper.

When the onions are dark brown and the sausage is crispy, stir these into the sweet potatoes as well. Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, and spread out the sweet potatoes evenly. Roast the sweet potatoes for 30 to 45 minutes (roasting time depends on the size and uniformity of the sweet potato chunks, as well as the variety of sweet potato you buy) or until they are soft and browned.

Refrigerate the cooled hash for up to 5 days.

To serve:
Heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spread a relatively thin layer of the (already cooked) sweet potato hash in a baking dish, such as a cast iron skillet or a 9x13-inch baking dish. You can also bake in individual ramekins. Make small wells in the sweet potatoes and crack in large eggs. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are hot and the eggs are baked through. (Test the eggs by prodding them with a fork to check the firmness of the white and the yolk; baked eggs are deceptive in that the white often looks much less cooked than it really is.)

Serve immediately, with shavings or sprinkles of Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Potato Hash with Sausage and Eggs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Potato Hash - can it be frozen?

Sounds heavenly!! Why would you need to freeze it? Just take in a cooler.....and then add the eggs and bake.

o

I was going to freeze it so that I could make it now. We won't be going for about 2 weeks and I would like to get as much done ahead as I can. There are many other things I will procrastinate about! I know the last couple of days I will be doing laundry, getting a pedicure, packing, unpacking, deciding those pants don't look so bad, packing them again, realizing the perfect top to wear with them is still at the cleaners and it closes in 5 minutes, etc etc etc.

o

I think that recipe looks wonderful! (C/P'd, thanks bbstx)

In all frankness, I think it would be so much better made fresh while people are standing around visiting. Yes, it would probably freeze but quality just won't be the same for either the sweet potatoes or the meat (I'd use chorizo - Yum!).

Also, try to get some fresh garlic for that dish! Big fat cloves, like Ann T.'s. Worth the splurge. Heck, you don't get to spend every week at the beach, right. Make it an occasion & cook that up with some flair in your biggest skillet! :)

/tricia

o

Triciae, you are right. It would be better made fresh, but it is a time consuming recipe. First you have to caramelize the onions. I do that very slowly. Then you have to cook the sweet potatoes until soft. It takes me about an hour to do all of that.

Maybe I'll caramelize the onions and freeze them. Then all I have to do is peel (unlike the recipe, I peel my sweet potatoes) and chunk up the potatoes. That might cut it in half.

I use frozen garlic. ann_t's was beautiful, but I've never seen fresh garlic in my life! None of the farmer's markets or vegetable stands around here carry it. All we get is garlic that has been shipped in here. It think it is referred to as cured.

I am in zone 8. It may not grow well here. After the other thread about chinese garlic, I'm considering calling the local ag school for advice. If I can grow my own, I just might!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here