Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bialetti Cookware

Posted by jae_tn (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 17:50

I saw this mentioned on TV this morning and looked it up. They have a website as well as in Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Has anyone had any experience with them? They have great reviews but wondered if anyone here has experience with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bialetti

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bialetti Cookware

Cute but cheap......maybe for a college girl's student apartment....but not for serious cooks.

o

Did you watch the video? I guess I was impressed that it was non-stick. I appreciate your opinion.

o

A little butter or oil and any pan is non stick.

o

I've been a somewhat interested in new technology non-stick being as my new Calphalon doesn't hold up nearly as well as my old Calphalon, and I've not been impressed with the durability of the cheap skillets I've bought at my local restaurant supply.

I never heard of the Bialetti pans before this, but the immediate thing that stood out was the the Aeturnum line is not oven safe. That would be an immediate deal-breaker for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: eco friendly pans

o

Take a look at these reviews

Here is a link that might be useful: reviews

o

Look at the reviews.....then read them....
Cheap pans not for serious cooks.

o

Thank you olga. I appreciate constructive and factual remarks to my query. These reviews differ greatly from those on the BBB site and, of course, the Bialetti site. FOAS, thank you for the link that gives good information about the new technology used to make the surface non-stick. I will not be buying them due to reading both of your informative replies.

o

You can season a carbon steel pan or a cast iron pan to make it nearly as non stick as teflon, and they're practically indestructable (unless you soak them or put them in the dishwasher).

I have a lot of well seasoned cast iron, but I just recently acquired some carbon steel pans from deBuyer and one carbon steel pan from Paderno. They all have enough mass to sear a steak really well, and cleanup is a snap once they're seasoned. And if you do happen to screw up the seasoned surface (say, a neat freak guest takes an SOS pad to them) they can be reseasoned; and you can safely heat them higher than you can a Teflon pan.

If I were starting out today, I think I'd skip the heavy cast iron and go with carbon steel. Not terribly expensive, it's versatile and probably will outlast you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paderno carbon steel

o

Bialetti make great stovetop espresso makers, though. We've used them for years.

o

John that connection caught my eye, too.

Unfortunately I have yet to see any "ceramic non-stick" stand the test of time. The green pans all get mixed reviews with many comments about them scratching up and wearing off easily. Williams Sonoma sold a product for a short period of time. I was interested but could never find one that wasn't scratched up right off the shelf. I kept looking for a while and then they were gone altogether. Wonder why. I saw some demo'd at a Le Creuset outlet a while back. Seemed interesting, but now seem discontinued.

o

Arley, I wish I had seen your posting a couple of months
ago. I purchased a Lodge cast iron fry pan. It works
'okay', but I now agree with your way of thinking.
Time for me to go 'carbon steel' shopping.

o

Thanks Arley! That one is priced the same and it's great to know when something really works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here