Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
questions on pita and other flat breads

Posted by liz_h (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 17:32

Do you have any hints on finding a pita bread that easily opens into pockets? DH prefers this type, and also does the shopping. Are the puffy ones more likely to open easily? Is thick better than thin?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: questions on pita and other flat breads

The main thing to consider is how fresh they are - check dates before buying. You will generally have a better selection at a Middle Eastern market, but if you are buying at HEB, check for the "best by" date. I tend to buy the whole wheat ones, although they are slightly more difficult to open. If the ones you have are old or stale, spray them with a bit of water before heating them. I heat them on an open flame so that I can stop the heating process before they become toast. How you heat them is also important.

Lars

o

Lars, I'll definitely check the dates. What do you consider the best method for heating besides an open flame? My stove top is electric.

o

Without a gas burner, I would use a very hot cast iron skillet for heating pita bread. It needs to be heated at a high temperature very quickly. Maybe someone else has another method that works - gas burner is the best, but you can also use the barbeque grill, since that can get very hot.

Lars

o

Great! That's the way I heat tortillas, so should have no problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here