SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Milky Way Cake

amck2
14 years ago

I clipped this recipe that was shared by a local restauranteur in our newspaper in 1977 when DH & I were married, and have made it for his birthday ever since.

It is a rich, dense, flavorful cake encased in creamy Chocolate Fudge. Even sweets lovers will be satisfied with a small piece, so it provides many servings. Leftovers keep well in the fridge. DH usually keeps his birthday celebration going by having small wedges for dessert every night for about a week, LOL!

You will see from the ingredient list that it is a decadent indulgence, but we only have it once a year..

The original recipe calls for it to be baked in a tube pan. One of my kids'(& husband's) favorite things about it is that in addition to icing the top & sides, I fill the hole left in the center of the cake with the fudge frosting so that when you cut it you get fudge on all but the underside.

Last year I made it here at the lake for the 1st time and didn't have a tube pan, so I used two regular layer cake pans instead and filled the layers with the frosting. I actually liked the texture of the cake better that way - & it was easier to bake - but my family missed the "fudge tunnel." If you use layer pans, shorten the baking time. This cake is done when set & batter begins to shrink from the sides of the pan. As with brownies, if you bake until a cake tester is completely dry and crumb-free, it may be overdone.

MILKY WAY CAKE

8 Milky Way Bars (standard 2.05 oz. size - not the minis)

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter

2 cups sugar

4 eggs

3 cups flour

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 l/4 cups buttermilk

1 TBS real vanilla extract

1 cup chopped walnuts

In a medium saucepan (nonstick works best) over medium low heat, melt MW bars and l/2 stick butter until smooth & blended. Set aside.

In large bowl cream remaining stick of butter with sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.

Combine flour & soda in large bowl. Add to the butter/sugar/egg mixture alternatively with the buttermilk. Then add the melted and slightly cooled chocolate bar mixture and blend well. Add the vanilla, then add the chopped nuts to batter.

Pour batter in a greased/floured tube pan and bake at 325 F for approximately 1 hour, until cake is set and tester comes clean. Cool on rack in pan for 10 mins., remove from pan then cool completely before frosting.

MILKY WAY CAKE ICING

2 1/2 cups sugar

1 cup evaporated milk

6 oz. semisweet chocolate chips

1 stick butter (cut in small pieces)

1 cup marshmallow cream

Place sugar & evaporated milk in a deep saucepan (nonstick works best) and cook to the soft ball stage. This takes about 6 minutes AFTER the mixture has come to a full boil. (My note: It takes quite a bit longer for me to get to the soft ball stage. For success, make sure you cook it long enough) Then add remaining ingredients and stir till smooth. Frost cake when mixture is warm and spreadable as it will set up to a fudge consistency when cool.

This cake is SO good with a glass of ice cold milk!

Comments (8)