Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fondue question

Posted by ynnej (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 17:03

I haven't ventured very far into the world of fondue. The only one I've made is the basic cheese fondue recipe. I'm wondering, if I wanted to add bell pepper and onion, could I cook it directly in the fondue pot? I saw a recipe for bell pepper fondue and they cooked it separately. Couldn't I just crank the heat up and sautee the veggies, then add the rest of the ingredients?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fondue question

A cheese fondue pot is properly made of pottery....it's pretty much a cheese melter not a device to sautee peppers and onions.
I would sautee the veggies separately and add to the melted cheese.
Just curious....will you be serving this the traditional way with bread and forks for dipping? How will the pieces of onion and peppers get picked up with the bread?
I think you would be better served to sautee up a mess of peppers and onions and serve them as a side to the fondue.

o

I suppose it depends on how hot your fondue pot gets. If it is possible to "crank up the heat," I don't see why it wouldn't work. The peppers and onions should add a nice flavor to your cheese even if you can't pick them up on your fork. I'd mince them very fine; that way they'll be a part of the fondue, not a separate element to try to spear.

Let us know how it goes :)

o

Thank you for your responses. If I ever get this recipe right I will let you know- at this point... yeesh.

o

Unless you have an electric fondue pot that has adjustable temps, you should make your cheese fondue in a separate pot on the stove. Transfer the melted cheese to the fondue pot and keep it "fluid" with the heat source underneath(sturno, tea lites). Saute the minced peppers and onions in a separate pan also. NancyLouise

o

Thank you, Nancy. It does have adjustable temps. I should have included that little tidbit earlier.

o

The problem as I see it is that if you get it hot enough to cook the onions and peppers, the cheese will be ruined. I prefer to stick to the traditional!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here