SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Seeking Ideas For, And To Go With, A Tuna

John Liu
13 years ago

I'm having some friends and neighbors over for dinner on Sunday. The main ingredient is a 17 lb tuna that my neighbor bought for me.

''Sashimi-grade'' fish, bled out and flash-frozen on the boat, bought off the dock on last Saturday, it has been frozen ever since. Nice big fish, still whole, about 8 inches deep from back to belly. It is too long to fit in my refrigerator, so I will move it into an ice water bath on Thursday to hopefully be fully thawed by Saturday, I'll clean and cut it up then, and move the loins to the refrigerator until Sunday.

First, what tuna dishes would be fun? I want to make multiple (as many as possible) dishes from this fish, idea being to explore different ways to use a tuna. Currently thinking of:

- sashimi, naturally

- simmered - thinking in dashi with a sauce of reduced dashi-mirin-soy sauce

- a spicy tuna roll - anyone know how to make sushi bar ''spicy tuna'', I've never tried

- ? what else ? A seared / grilled tuna recipe? Anything interesting I can make with the head, or the skeleton, or the organs?

Second, what would be good accompaniments? I'm thinking of a meat dish for a bit of variety, and we could do some greenery, starch, or fruit too.

Not looking exclusively for Asian-type ideas. Weather permitting, this will be eaten outside. Beverage might be sangria.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!