Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Healthier flour for bechamel

Posted by ynnej (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 16:42

Hello everybody. I've really been enjoying experimenting with bechamels lately. I've found that olive oil can be used successfully as a substitute for butter as long as the seasonings are right. (Coconut oil works even better, but I'm not made of money.) I'm wondering if I can healthify them further by replacing AP flour with something else. Anyone tried? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Healthier flour for bechamel

IMO, even using unbleached AP is healthier.

I'd try using 1/4-1/2 white whole wheat and see what happens. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work - you may need to add a little more milk.

I like making bechamel replacing 1 cup milk with white wine & adding a big glob of whole grain mustard plus some minced garlic. It's very good over chicken.

Have fun.

/tricia

o

Back in my bechamel days I used to routinely use whole wheat flour, just the run of the mill AP stuff which you were lucky to get back then. You get little flecks of wheat bran in your sauce, but I actually prefer the taste. Laurel's Kitchen Cookbook recommends using pastry flour for the best taste, and I usually have that on hand these days.

o

Thanks guys. Lpink, what happened to your bechamel days?

o

I generally make veloute instead of bechamel, in order to avoid the milk, and I've been using all whole wheat flour for some time. I prefer the flavor that it gives, although it is somewhat difficult to just doneness of the rue by color. For that reason, I will still use white flour when making a rue for gumbo.

Lars

o

Just a little aside, Lars, it's a roux. Rue is a street. You did make me smile!

o
RE: Alternatives

You can substitute a bechamel for other things. If you want a cheese sauce, just melt cheese into creme fraiche. What are you putting your sauce on?

o

Another option for a creamy white sauce that I recently discovered in Giada's Fonduta sauce that is used in her Manicotti with sausage and peas. I have not made the manicotti part yet, but I have made the fonduta a couple of times and it is quite good.

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: Manicotti with Sausage and Peas

o

Thank you for the link Alexa. Islay, the sauces I make are usually for pasta. I like experimenting with different flavors- curry, southwestern, and plain old garlic. I use almond or coconut milk when cooking for myself but use real milk and cheese when cooking for the rest of the family.

o

And is the pasta you are putting it over whole wheat pasta?
My thoughts are that the amount of flour I use in a bechamel is so small as to not be much of a factor in my nutrition level.

o

Thanks, Islay - it was really late at night when I posted - I realized my error too late! I did have big problems in French class because so many words sounded the same but were spelled differently.

I agree with Linda that the amount of flour is a bechamel is so small as not to be much of a factor. That said, I still prefer the flavor of whole wheat, but if you prefer the flavor of white flour, I don't think it is worth worrying about. I also prefer the flavor of whole wheat pasta to white pasta in most cases.

Lars

o

We also much prefer whole wheat pasta. Several years ago we discovered Bionaturae Organic Whole Wheat pasta and it's been in our storage program ever since. We love both the flavor & texture. I highly recommend giving a package a try. It's available in my Cranston, RI Whole Foods, in our local Mystic health food store, & a few shapes are available at amazon.

FWIW, I also really like the company. Bionaturae Organic pasta is my contribution to global trade! (grin)

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Bionaturae Organic Whole Wheat Pasta

o

I usually do use whole wheat pasta unless it is unavailable, which, in our small town, is not uncommon. I just feel like topping whole wheat pasta with a bechamel made of white flour is sort of like getting a quarter pounder with fries and a diet coke. Actually, that's a pretty ridiculous comparison. I'm just trying to eat as well as I can without sacrificing taste. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll give the wheat flour a try.

o

A combination of things has put an end to my bechamel days. First, the attempt to eat lower fat and calories, but also I have become increasingly sensitive to lactose, or something or other in what passes for milk these days. I was never a milk drinker and just don't use it enough to warrant getting raw milk, which I'm sure would help with the flavor and lactose issues. The last couple of times I have tried to make it I just wasn't satisfied and I think it has to do with the shelf stable milk I used, which is what I have on hand nowdays. I read the alternative recipes posted here with great interest. I find that mostly these days I just use a reduced liquid for my sauces, even pasta. Or just top with evoo and parm. or feta cheese.

o

Have you considered using brown rice flour? I have used it in making gravies -- not the same as a bechamel, though -- and it worked fine. I've also used it successfully for dredging baked chicken wings, eggplant rounds, and other foods.

o

I'm sensitive to dairy, too. I haven't had any for a while- maybe a month or two, I haven't kept track. But I feel much better at this point. Sue, I've never worked with brown rice flour. I haven't worked much with any flour besides AP.

o

I don't put bechamel on pasta.A slimming world light "carbonara" is very healthy and tastes rich and creamy.
Fry an onion and some garlic in a light spray and a couple of tbls veggie stock. Grill some lean bacon - all visible fat removed.Add to the onion. In a bowl, mix together a 100g tub 0%fat fromage frais, a couple of eggs, 1 tbls grated parmesan, some parsley and s&p. Cook the pasta of your choice, drain then pour over the sauce and mix. Yum.

o

Interesting on the brown rice flour Shambo. I have some in the freezer that I thought I would never use up. Must try it as part of some breading.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here