Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NYTimes: A paella contest between friends

Posted by jkom51 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 16:39

This was a great read, and the photos will make one hungry, LOL! They give the recipes for both paellas, as well as the rose sangria that everybody got snockered on. I'm actually not a paella fan, but my spouse loves it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Paella: land versus sea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NYTimes: A paella contest between friends

Sounds fun. I'm wondering about the (currently) only comment on the article, "The rice concoctions described in this article are not paella." Wish they would have expanded on that. Anyone?

o

That was a strange comment. And unnecessary. Traditional recipes always have variations based on, not only income, but geographically if you are coastal or inland. They did wait for the rice to crackle leaving it undisturbed.
It looks so good but i prefer a mixed seafood fish stew, brothy, with a nice crusty bread, sometimes adding spicy sausage. It's the sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the rice to burn i can't take...i'm just way too forgetful and multi-tasking to add cooking stress to my game. : )

o

Loved that article. Well written and I felt like I was there.

It got answered if you want to go back FOAS :)

o

Thanks Robin - I just read through the responses and maybe I missed something because I'm multitasking but I don't see the answer. I see a lot of opinions about which proteins are traditional, etc. which I'd probably attribute more to regional differences or more likely "how my abuelita makes it" but not something that specifically defines the dish.

o

You see the answer. The person answered that the ingredients were wrong, I think. Something along the lines of, you may have a Philly Cheesesteak (how do you spell that!) replacing the meat with tofu, and it may taste good, but it's not really a Cheese"steak". Which, I think, they were being petty. The distinction/comparison with ingredients/chili is made throughout the article. If it's true, then I disagree with the comment.

Well for me, it's BBQ where I argue. I don't see dry rub without the sauce (Memphis style) being BBQ . Now I won't deny you find it to be BBQ, you can call it that, but I won't see it as such. I'll just see it as "ribs grilled with seasoning", for instance. I may eat it and enjoy it, thouroughly!, but call it BBQ, nope.

;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here