SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

What's wrong with this recipe - Lemon Icebox pie

loves2cook4six
11 years ago

Just made this for a BBQ tonight and the filling only filled about 1/3 to 1/2 the pie and then the meringue barely reached to the top of the crust. I've never made a lemon meringue or icebox pie before so no idea if this is normal. I thought these pies were supposed to be mile high:

{{gwi:1539150}}

Lemon Icebox Pie

print this recipe

If you have been receiving my newsletter for any time, you know that I am a fool for desserts. Although you won't often see me turn away a slice of chocolate cake, I have a particular weakness for desserts made from fresh fruits of the season.

While lemons are available to us year around, their bright color and refreshing taste make them ideal for summer meals.

I have been making this recipe for lemon icebox pie for many years and I never tire of it. It is similar to Key lime pie with just a little more punch.

Ingredients

4 tbsp. sugar

1/2 cup lemon juice

1/4 tsp. cream of tartar

1 tsp. lemon zest

2 egg whites

1 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk

1 1/4 cup graham cracker

1/3 cup butter, unsalted, melted

Instructions

Begin by making the graham cracker crust. For me a lemon pie just isn't the same with any other type of crust. Combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar, and then add the melted butter. Stir this together until you have a crumbly mixture. Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and bake at 350 dgrees F for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

Pour sweetened condensed milk into a medium sized bowl and gradually add lemon juice and grated rind. Stir this until well blended and then pour into cool graham cracker crust.

Now you are ready to make the meringue. In large bowl, add the egg whites and the cream of tartar. Beat until all the egg white turns into foam. Add the four tablespoons of sugar and beat until stiff enough to hold a peak, but not dry. Pour the mixture on top of the pie filling and bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees F for 15 minutes.

After removing the pie from the oven, chill it in the refrigerator until the filling sets. This usually takes a little over an hour.

Comments (13)