Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipe From A Movie

Posted by moonwolf (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 16:35

Hi everyone,

I am watching one of my favorite movies (Steel Magnolias), and they mention a recipe that I've been wondering about. It's just three ingredients. "1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup fruit cocktail with the juice. Mix and bake at 350 degrees until golden bubbly." Truvy (Dolly Parton), adds "I serve it over ice cream to cut the sweetness." Sounds good to me!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipe From A Movie

Cuppa Cuppa Cake!

It is good. Sorta kinda like a cobbler. We only serve it with ice cream. Be sure to grease the pan before baking it, serve it warm.

ML

o

I've never made it but I looked it up. Pioneer Woman makes it with self-rising flour. That might be a given in for people who always use self-rising flour but I thought it was worth mentioning as that would make a world of difference in the result vs all purpose flour.

I'd want to cut in some cold chunks of butter, too. About a half a stick. But that's just me. :)

Eileen

Here is a link that might be useful: And the photo looks better than I thought it would.

o

My version that I first tasted at an office potluck is a Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa Peach Cobbler - and besides, I don't like fruit cocktail.....

- 1 stick real butter
- 1 c flour
- 1 c sugar
- 1 c whole milk
- 2 cans sliced peaches, in heavy syrup

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Place butter into a pyrex baking dish (or similar). Place into oven while it preheats, and take out once melted.

3. In the meantime, Whisk together the flour, sugar and milk til mostly smooth. Pour over the butter in the baking dish.

4. Spoon the contents of both cans of peaches over the batter, syrup and fruit.

5. Bake at 350, until golden brown and crust is done (about 50 - 60 minutes, depending on your oven).

6. Serve hot with a scoop of ice cream for a wonderful treat!

o

Yay! I'm so glad that this is a highly recommended recipe! And The Pioneer Woman made it too! Which was extra awesome since my mom and I love watching her :). I will have to give Cuppa Cuppa Cake a try sometime. Thank you, everyone!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

hey Brad
I have used teresa nc's recipe for many many years...first got it from my former husband's grandmother so at least 40 years ago. Point is very old recipe. I use fresh peaches when available and add a half teaspoon of almond extract to the sugar flour milk mixture. Also DO NOT stir the ingredients together, you just layer them....melted butter, then mix the milk, sugar, flour (self rising) together and pour over melted butter DO NOT STIR then gently spoon the fruit on top of that. Again DO NOT STIR As it bakes the batter rises up through the fruit along with the butter....extremely good.
ALSO this recipe is great with blackberries too...just add a bit of sugar to your berries (depending on how sweet they are and how sweet you like) stir gently until some juice appears add a bit of water to create some juice if needed and proceed with recipe.
Since this is fresh peach season, I suggest you try it soon :)
Enjoy with or without ice cream!
Murphy

o

Wow, both versions sound extremely delicous! Mom loves the sound of the peach version :).

Teresa and Murphy, do you have to change the size of the baking pan from 8 inch to 9 x 13 inch because of the 2 cans peaches and the 1 cup milk?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Also, what size cans are the two cans of peaches?

o

Brad....I sometimes use an 8" square pyrex baking dish. Like for brownies. Most of the time I use a 1.5 liter deep round corning ware casserole. For 9 x 13, or a 2.5 liter deep round casserole dish, I just double the recipe. I like a "deeper" cobbler.
Sherrmann....grandmother's recipe calls for the 1 lb size, my guess it is 15 oz or less now. I don't use the canned peaches...either fresh or home frozen ones. I just spoon the peaches and juice on top of the dough mixture until it is covered with peaches or berries. and looks right.
The recipe is pretty forgiving as for the amount of fruit....more fruit less buttery doughiness, less fruit more buttery doughiness (if doughiness is a word...) It is good either way.
This is one of those recipes you can play around with until you get it like you want. Once you mix it up, you will see that one cup of flour, one cup of sugar, and one cup of milk doesn't make a lot of batter volume wise. So start with the original amounts....I use that when just for 4-6 people. Double for crowds of 8-10.
Hope this helps. Teresa will probably be able to provide more info with regards to sizes. I am the kind of cook that "wings it" a lot....:)

o

Looks like you got it right, murphy - looks like we are in the same gardening zone! Two 15-16 oz. cans of peaches or one larger can of about 28 oz.(?) should be correct for the recipe I posted. I've never had this w/o the butter included. The "buttery doughiness" of this type of cobbler recipe is what makes it so delicious.

Hmmmmm....I have some fresh peaches and frozen blueberries on hand and I might just have to try a half recipe of cobbler today. I'll post my results!

Teresa

o

Thank you again, Teresa and Murphy!

Mom and I will be getting the ingredients today when we go to the store. I can't wait to try this!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Teresa_nc7, that is an old, old recipe.
I got in from my "Grandma-in-law" back in the '60s.
No idea how many years she had been making it.
But it was always a requested favorite
At any of the family gatherings.
She (and we) have always called it "Peach Cobbler".

Brad, I just know you & your Mom will really love it.

The fruit cocktail version sounds very good, too.
I'm saving that idea for when (and if)
It ever again gets cool enough
For me to use my oven!

Oh, and we've always used the 9 X 13 pan for it.

Rusty

o

Teresa, would you mind posting your recipe again. I thought I had it, but do not.

o

The Peach Cobbler version is the 4th post on this thread...just scroll upwards a ways!

Teresa

o

I made a peach & blueberry half a cuppa, cuppa, cuppa cobbler today:

1/2 stick butter melted in a small pie plate
1/2 cup self-rising flour (just because I want to use it up)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk

3 smallish fresh white peaches, peeled and sliced
1 cup slightly thawed frozen small blueberries

Heated the toaster oven to 350F.

Melted the butter in the microwave in the pie plate; whisked the self-rising flour and sugar together in a bowl then whisked in the milk until well blended. Poured the batter into the melted butter in the pie plate and smoothed it evenly. Spooned the peach slices onto the batter then scattered the blueberries evenly over the surface.

Baked for about 45 to 50 minutes. Didn't even let it cool before I spooned some in a bowl and topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Very yummy! And better than a huge casserole full of this stuff - only HALF the recipe!

I was worried that it would turn out dry because I didn't have any syrup liquid that you would have with canned peaches. Not to worry - it turned out fine.

Teresa

o

Brad. so glad you liked the cobbler. Knew you would :)

Teresa..Peaches and Blueberries!!! Buttery Doughiness!! Ice Cream! Oh My! As I said, this recipe is amazingly versatile. Don't forget those blackberries, that cobbler is really really good too.
Oh and I am in Upstate SC...a true "GRITS" Are you?
Murphy

o

Murphy, yes! I am a true GRITS also - a Piedmont area NC gal! I think the blackberry version of this dessert may have been one of the original versions. I had never heard of the fruit cocktail version until this thread.
Teresa

o

Thanks, Teresa. Don't know how I missed it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here