Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Country style shoulder bone-in pork ribs

Posted by countrygal_905 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 16:28

I am considering grilling country style pork ribs for Sunday dinner. We have between 20-25 most Sundays for dinner. It has been really hot and I want to only use the grill and not precook in the oven. I have never done that before. What temperature should I grill them at and approx. how long will it take? Thanks so much for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Country style shoulder bone-in pork ribs

How much time do you have? LOL!
they will be fabulous grilled as low as you can go for about 4 hours....with some source of smoke....like damp wood chips in a semi closed container.
Or you could cook for a shorter time at a higher temp.
They are done when tender. if the rest of the stuff isn't ready, spritz with sauce and wrap in foli and keep warm at the edge of the grill.

o

Interesting, years ago a butcher told me that shoulder chops made the best grilled pork because of the layers of fat marbled through the meat. Although your quantities are large why wouldn't grilling them according to thickness give you a good product?

o

They cook pretty quick compared to other style ribs. I did them in the oven for a couple of hours before putting them on the grill and they pretty much fell apart! You could do them at a low heat for 2 hours grill only and they would be delish. . They make great pulled pork too-tastier than the shoulder in my opinion:)

o

Thanks so much for the responses. They are on sale here this week so I think that will be the meat for Sunday dinner. Does low heat mean around 250 or higher than that?

o

Personally, I wouldn't go higher than 250° or lower than 200°. I use my Nesco Roaster for boneless country style ribs and use about 200°-225°, give them a rub, wrap them in foil and a little moisture of some type, whether it be BBQ sauce, beer (usually), root beer, Dr. Pepper, wine, Teriyaki sauce or whatever you happen to like. I often brown them a bit in the convection oven but it's not required.

The BBQ Pit Boys like to simmer them in beer, onion and BBQ sauce then they crisp them up on the grill after they're cooked.

Here is a link that might be useful: BBQ Pit Boys

o

I agree....low for me is about boiling point...212 if you can be that exact....otherwise just a little over 200.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here