SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Sale at Target, I ended up with a crockpot

Lars
10 years ago

Yesterday Kevin told me that Target was having a clearance sale on Paula Deen cookware, and so I said we should go and check it out. Almost all of the PD cookware had sold out, but I did find a nice PD black pot/sauce pan that I thought I could use. I liked the size of it - 7" diameter x 4-3/4" high (3 quart) and oven safe to 350 degrees. I already had a copper bottom sauce pan that is 7" diameter, but it is only 3-1/4" high and does not have an oven safe handle. Since I have a white kettle, I thought it would be poetic justice to buy a black PD pot. Unfortunately, it does not work on induction burners, but then almost nothing I saw at Target did.

While I was there (and I very seldom visit Target - maybe once or twice a year), I saw a 4-quart B&D crock pot for cheap and decided that it was time to try one out. At least it has an attractive polished aluminum finish, although I plan to keep it out of sight. I stored it where I thought I might store the bread machine, but now I am thinking of storing the bread machine in the garage, since I only use it once a week, and it is not heavy. It really is ugly to look at on the counter, and I found that I only have gold lame fabric - no silver lame - although I have not finished looking for suitable covering fabric, in case I decide to leave it on the counter. The crock pot fits easily in one of my lower cabinets, but the bread machine is a tight fit there.

I thought the crock pot might be useful in the summer, but all I can think of to make in it is beans and maybe a chicken. It is supposed to hold a 3 pound chicken, but I'm not sure I can find a chicken that small. If not, I can cut one up to fit in, I guess, or just buy thighs and breasts. It seems that crock pots are best for cooking beef, but I will not be doing that just for myself.

What is your favorite non-beef crock pot dish? Is it good for cooking cut up chicken, or should the chicken be whole?

Lars

Comments (19)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz