Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing Pancakes?

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 15:59

Looking for a breakfast idea for the 20th annual girl's canoe trip in two weeks.

One group is bringing the old stand-by scrambled eggs with ham for their breakfast contribution and I believe we are having a Mexican dinner one night.

So as not to duplicate meals/ideas, I was thinking of making up a batch of pancakes, maybe a couple different kinds. If I cook them, then freeze them individually with saran or waxed paper in between, would it work to just thaw and reheat them or would they lose their texture?

I've been wanting to try the Lemon Ricotta Hotcakes, can anyone tell me if this recipe would work for what I am trying to achieve?

Thanks!

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing Pancakes?

Pancakes will freeze and warm just fine.....but not sure about the ricotta ones....but things like pumpkin spice and whole wheat and buckwheat will be fine. may lose some texture....but sausage and syrup should cover for that.

o

In Joy of Cooking there is a good pancake recipe - just plain pancakes - with a half whole wheat version that is really good, best pancakes I have ever tasted. These will freeze just fine and will reheat well in a low skillet or wrapped in foil and laid on a fire grate over a low fire.
They are good with fruit and/or maple syrup.

I can provide the recipe for you if you need it.

Teresa

o

I agree with Linda, pancakes freeze quite well but unsure about those made with whipped egg white(?). Make a batch, freeze, & give'em a try before the trip.

Have fun! Wow, 20 years...what a cool tradition. Lots of memories.

/tricia

o

Teresa I would love that recipe, thanks!

I rarely make pancakes but not sure why. So I don't have a lot of recipes or ideas for combos/flavors.

Yes, I might just try the LRH and freeze to see how they fare. I could have sworn someone in the past had said they freeze well...

Linda

o

Fund Raiser Pancakes - from Joy of Cooking (I had them at a fund raiser, so I am calling them that name!)

3/4 cup cake flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 t. salt
3 TB sugar
1 3/4 t. baking powder
1 or 2 eggs (I used 1 large egg)
3 TB melted butter
1 to 1 1/4 cups milk
2 TB molasses (I only used 1 TB as I didn't want the molasses to be too strong)

Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Beat egg in another bowl and add in the melted butter, milk, and molasses. Mix well but do not over mix.

Bake on a lightly greased griddle or frying pan for 2-3 minutes and then turn once only to cook 1-1.5 minutes on the second side. Serve right away with sausages/bacon and syrup. The fund raiser had fresh sliced sweetened strawberries as an option also.

I cool the extra pancakes completely on a wire rack before I put them in freezer weight zip bags. You could cool them and wrap in foil, then put in a freezer bag to freeze and travel. Then, heat them in the foil before eating. I would only put 4 or 5 pancakes per foil package - I think they would heat faster with fewer pancakes per package.

Teresa

o

I regularly freeze pancakes, it's impossible to make a batch small enough for me and they reheat nicely in the microwave or a warm skillet.

I don't know about the LR ones, though.

Have fun!

Annie

o

Thanks, Teresa, I think I'll make a trial run batch this weekend. I have lots of strawberry sauce in the freezer from last year'ss strawberry picking that would be good to use on these, too!

I may try a batch of the LRH and see how they go as well.

I like the idea of the foil packages, too.

Linda

o

I freeze pancakes a lot and have found they freeze best if I use a heartier (oatmeal-type) recipe, make them a little smaller in size than normal (3-4 inches), and cool completely on a cooling rack. Quick-freeze the cooled pancakes flat on the cooling rack and use squares of parchment paper to separate them when I stack them for the freezer.

For smaller batches I use powdered eggs when I need to cut a recipe (1/4 or 1/2) and may need a fraction of an egg.

This recipe makes a small amount.....

High-Protein Oatmeal Buttermilk Pancakes

The night before, mix:
1/2 c. oatmeal (I use oat groats I flake myself)
1/3 c. buttermilk (kefir or yogurt will also work)
Let soak at room temperature overnight (I use a 2-cup glass measuring cup so pouring the pancakes is a little easier).

Have ready for the next morning the dry ingredients:
3 T. vanilla whey protein powder or unflavored whey protein isolate (I sometimes use hi-maize resistant starch instead of protein powder)
1 T. palm sugar (or any kind of sweetener you like)
1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt

The next morning add the wet ingredients to the soaked oatmeal:
1 egg
1 T. oil (I use coconut oil)
1 t. vanilla (optional)

Add the dry ingredients. Add more liquid if you want thinner pancakes.
-Grainlady

o

I also freeze pancakes. To reheat we pop them in the toaster. The texture is just the same as right off the griddle, couldn't be quicker or easier.. But I don't suppose you'll have a toaster in the canoe.

o
Huh.

Huh. DOUCANOE. Is your annual trip the origin of your name?

o

LOL, Sherman, yes it is!

Well, I made Teresa's recipe for dinner last night, but I must have had the griddle too hot, most of them got a little black on the bottom before they were ready to turn. Going to try them again, and maybe instead of my cast iron griddle I'll use the non-stick one. The flavor and texture were very good, but I may omit the molasses next time.

It's been ages since I have made pancakes, hope I haven't lost my touch! LOL

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here