Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
?recipe for breading zuccini slices to fry?

Posted by vieja (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 15:52

I like to slice the bigger zucchinis & batter & fry them. Anyone had a good batter recipe? I dip the slices in egg/milk & dip them in flour mixture with onion,, garlic salt, black pepper, etc. but would like to have some more ideas to use in the flour mixture.... mine taste rather bland!
Last year the zucchinis did so poorly in the garden & evidently all over as even the ones in the grocery were so small & SO $$ No problem this year however as I can't keep up with the picking as so many get ahead of me & get huge like clubs!! Neighbor likes them so she gets the big ones to grind up to freeze for zucchini nut bread later. Can't wait now for some tomatoes to ripen so I can make calabacita (stew) with the squash, onion, corn & chile!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ?recipe for breading zuccini slices to fry?

When I fry squash or zucchini I use the smaller ones and I have always just tossed them with corn meal, salt and pepper. I use the larger ones for relish or shredded in breads or cakes.

o

Thanks! I have tried that also & is good; I had thought I'd try something with more flavor in the breading but not quite sure what spices to use... maybe something with a bit of 'zip'!! Maybe I'll try a sprinkle of chile on a few to see.

o

Emeril's recipe can give it a little extra kick. We like it on grilled portabella mushrooms. Make the batch and use as you will.

Emeril's Essence

Ingredients

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Directions

Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Cover tightly to store.

o

I watched John Besh pan fry zucchini and small eggplant on his show on PBS yesterday. First he dredged the sliced veggies in plain flour, then put the pieces in a beaten egg and milk bath, then into some Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, then into a half-inch of oil in a frying pan. He cooked them until brown and done on both sides, then made a lovely salad with fresh tomatoes, sliced onion, fresh torn basil, the fried vegetables, some shaved Parmesan cheese and a light vinaigrette. Looked wonderful! And the salad looked appetizing too! Ha!

Teresa

o

Thanks ivmadison & teresa! I will tryEmeril's recipe & add some Parmesan cheese to it... sounds good! I had used a bag of breading I ad & liked the better flavor but unfortunately the ingredients were not listed. It added a bit of ?something that really added to the flavor of the fried zucchini!

o

I like to dip mine in egg white only (makes them crispier) then panko with parmesan and herbs, or bread crumbs/parmesan and herbs. They're awesome!

o

I use cracker meal. Not as gritty as corn meal and makes a nice crunch.

o

Not fried, but this looks good...zucchini pizza.
(just saw this last night looking for something else)

-i noticed only one zuke in my garden so far. The size of a pencil nub. I'm a month away from finding the two or three hidden giants that miss my harvest radar.

Here is a link that might be useful: zucchini pizza

o

I love that skinny jeans pizza, I think I would roast the zucchini before assembling the pizza.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here