Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broken Jaw, Need ideas (More details in message)

Posted by Buzz8522 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 15:47

I recently broke my jaw due to seizures, so they couldn't wire my jaw shut. Instead, they put me in braces and used rubber bands. Well after a week, they took the rubber bands off and said that i could start eating mushy food so long as I didn't have to chew (which was a huge relief because I was growing very weary of protein shakes and Cheesy broccoli soup, etc.). Now with my bands off, I was hoping for some good ideas of things I can drink/eat as long as it is mushy enough to where I don't have to thoroughly chew it. Some examples of things I've already gotten are Oatmeal, Malt-O-Meal, Easy Mac and Mashed Potatoes. But I know that I can't eat only these few things for five more weeks. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broken Jaw, Need ideas (More details in message)

Ouch! I hope you're healing well.

You can take any meat dish you really like and make it into a paté. There's a Julia Child recipe for a paté that my mother read and said, "She left out a step: Feed the pot roast to your family." For a paté, remove the solids from the liquid, try to have the meat be at least half of the total (vs. vegetables, potatoes, etc), and process it in a food processor or in small batches with a blender, until it's fairly smooth and sticks together. Use a small dish or cookie/biscuit cutter to make it into an attractive shape. Reduce the liquid to a gravy consistency and pour it over the paté. If you can have bread, you can spread the paté on it, but it should taste fine eaten straight with a fork.

How about eggs? Whisk until fluffy and scramble wet. Too much still to chew?

Broths are great. All kinds of meats, vegetables and fruits can be cooked down and strained to make broths. Basically you put them in water, cook them for hours at the simmer, and when all of the goodness is gone from the solids, into the water and strain. You can take them hot or cold.

o

Sorry to hear about the broken jaw, my mom also has seizures and I know how terrible it can be to have to live with them. I would think scrambled eggs if cooked soft enough could be eaten. It would be a good source of protein too, Polenta, creamed spinach, yogurt, cottage cheese, bananas if you mush them up first, jello, and puddings. I love avocados with lemon, salt, oregano, and a little olive oil drizzled on them. Just mush them up with a fork before eating. You can eat some soft bread dipped in the olive oil/lemon dressing so its nice and soggy. Maybe a chicken salad or a ham salad you chop everything really fine or even almost puree before mixing with the mayo. Hopefully this gives you some ideas or someone else chimes in with better ones.

o

Thank you so much for the ideas! I'm definitely going to try some of these. As for chewing, I can only open my jaw about an inch and I can't chew at all. No biting. I am pretty much required to only swallow whatever it is I eat. Lately, I've taken to blending milk and cookies and drinking that, but I need something healthier and with more protein, vitamins, fat, etc.

o

My mom's neighbor had surgery on his jaw and it was wired shut. He could only drink though a straw. She made a pot of her vegetable beef soup and whirred the whole thing up in a blender. I swear he lived on that stuff until he got unwired! Add extra broth to make it thinner if needed.

So sorry about your jaw. Bummer.

o

I had mine wired shut for 14 weeks. I would kill to have been able to have opened it that inch you've been blessed with!

I'm not sure what to add to the list, it looks pretty good so far :)

o

@Errant:

Lol I would so much call it a blessing. If I have another seizure, chances are that the muscles contracting and loosening so much would cause the 3 fractures to get moved back out of place. At least when they were banded shut, I felt safe that the seizure couldn't cause my mouth to open and shut vigorously. Re-braking my jaw isn't something I'm sure I could handle again. But, as long as I don't have another seizure, I am very thankful that i can open my mouth enough now to at least eat food with a spoon.

o

It is important to use your saliva to help digest the food. Squish your food like babies do. Use your food processor and blender heavily. Even meats and cheeses can be processed by adding some warm liquid. Whizzed up French onion soup, minus the bread, is quite tasty and satisfying.

Make a bowl of cereal and let it soften. Hummus is nutritious and easy to eat. Gazpacho is just chilled whizzed up vegetables and delicious. Make ices/smoothies from whizzed watermelon, cantaloupe, peaches and other fruit. They can be eaten through a large diameter straw. Soak bread in milk and heat it in the microwave, add a little butter and it is Milquetoast to savor.

Hope you heal quickly.
Nancy

o

Seizures can be triggered by many foods.

Is there a list of foods that you need to avoid?

dcarch

o

It is important to use your saliva to help digest the food. Squish your food like babies do. Use your food processor and blender heavily. Even meats and cheeses can be processed by adding some warm liquid. Whizzed up French onion soup, minus the bread, is quite tasty and satisfying.

Make a bowl of cereal and let it soften. Hummus is nutritious and easy to eat. Gazpacho is just chilled whizzed up vegetables and delicious. Make ices/smoothies from whizzed watermelon, cantaloupe, peaches and other fruit. They can be eaten through a large diameter straw. Soak bread in milk and heat it in the microwave, add a little butter and it is Milquetoast to savor.

Hope you heal quickly.
Nancy

o

You could make guacamole in a blender, and instead of chips, just dip your finger and lick! Yum!!

o

If you want to eat healthier stuff, don't forget about mashed veggies...rutabaga mashed with butter and nutmeg is a favorite of mine. Mashed cauliflower with butter and parsley is delish. Of course mashed white potatoes, but I love mashed sweet potatoes with maple syrup and nutmeg. And you can mash up butternut squash and acorn squash too. What a great excuse to have something like cream of rice cereal...haven't had it in years, but loved it as a kid, esp with chocolate sprinkles on it.

I have a fruit smoothie every a.m. with kale in it for health along with whey protein powder, chia seeds, coconut oil, a half of a banana, and a passel of frozen fruit. Very tasty and satisfying, even without chewing. Also, can you do plain yogurt and small curd cottage cheese? I mix my yogurt with vanilla and honey....delish. And who can forget ice cream? As long as it doesn't have nuts or other crunchies....

And there are all kinds of cream soups you can make...haven't had cream of carrot soup with ginger in awhile, but it's sweet and delish. Or cream of mushroom soup. Yum!

Man, I'm getting hungry!

o

Buzz, I'm sorry to hear about the seizures, my oldest daughter also has a seizure disorder, it's difficult to live with sometimes, although hers are very well controlled. She's had only one in the past 7 years, so that's very good.

Anyway, I think you also might be able to eat soft rice, like rice pudding or risotto. To make soup or broth a bit more substantial, some bread or crackers crumbled in until they are very soft might work for you too.

Shakes and smoothies are a good thing, as is pudding, yogurt, jello (ugh, can't stand the stuff but it's slippery and would slide right down. Oh, and even some pasta, like spaghetti cut into small pieces, like 1/8 inch or Spaghettios type stuff would be easy to swallow without chewing.

Good luck, I hope you heal quickly.

Annie

o

Margaritas, daiquiris.... Oh, Food! I'm thinking soups: carrot soup, butternut squash soup, tomato soup. Do you have an immersion blender?

Not soups but how about ice cream, applesauce. It seems like you should be able to make some things out of soft tofu too.

o

Anything you can toss into a food processor is fair game ... you will at least get the flavors and nutrition. Beef stew, spaghetti, tamales ...

Add just enough liquids to make it the right texture for easy swallowing.

Increase the herb and spice levels a bit to compensate.

o

I'd just like to take the time to thank everyone here for being so supportive and giving me these great ideas! It means more than you know!

o

I remember back when my Grandmother could not chew well and we kept a food grinder in the kitchen. No matter what we cooked my Grandfather would simply put a portion in the food grinder and grind it up...so she could eat pretty much whatever as long as it was ground up fine. Nowadays a food processor would work just as well. That way you can just make whatever you would normally be eating without having to find special recipes!
Joann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here