SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

1946 Alcatraz Prison menu

jakkom
10 years ago

Our local paper's food section photo'ed a copy and put it on the website. Fun little read, surprising menu! I love how "catsup" is its own category, LOL:

Here is a link that might be useful: SF Chronicle Food: Vintage menu from Alcatraz prison

Comments (7)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Interesting! Particularly that they ate pretty well. Iced cupcakes...

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    10 years ago

It would be a fun menu for a theme party.

dcarch

• colleenoz
    10 years ago

It's also a fairly balanced menu, with plenty of fruit and vegetables.

• compumom
    10 years ago

Fascinating! The quality of the food may have been questionable, but the menu is certainly varied!

• triciae
    10 years ago

I remember being in Alcatraz's "Mess Hall" well. The tour spent quite a few minutes with our guide talking about meal time protocols. Very interesting. The prisoners were not allowed to talk on the island except during meal time. Meals lasted 20 minutes and prisoners could eat all they wanted during those few minutes. After a meal was finished all the flatware was put on the tables and counted. Civilians ate alongside the inmates. I remember a long hall leading to the Mess Hall with a big clock inspiring the name - Times Square. The food served at Alcatraz was reportedly the best in the US prison system. It was a fascinating tour. I've taken visiting friends and family 3 times. Thanks for posting the menu.

/tricia

• trixietx
    10 years ago

Tricia, we toured Alcatraz several years ago and it I loved it! I didn't really want to do the tour, but DH did and afterward I was glad he did. I read every book I could find written by an inmate, guard or employee of the prison after returning home! So interesting! Thanks for posting the menu, it sounds like they ate good!!

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    10 years ago

Here you go. :-)

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: Make my Day