SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreaso_gw

Freezer died, need help rescuing meat

AndreaSo
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I just noticed that my upright extra storage freezer must have died at some point last night. We usually buy meat in bulk from a local farmer, and currently have half a cow's worth of various cuts that have defrosted. The freezer temp did drop below 40, so I think my best bet is to cook the meat, vacuum seal, and re-freeze for later use.

I have a couple chickens in the crock pot right now....and am going to cook the pork chops for dinner tonight.

The hamburger should be simple enough to cook and re-freeze....and I have a ton of cubed steak that I am going to marinade and toss in my dehydrator for jerky....the roasts are still frozen, so I think they should be fine.

My question is about the steaks....I have a variety of rib eyes, t-bones and hangar steaks....I was thinking I could slow roast them all in the oven and then shred the meat for future use. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to temperature/method for cooking a variety of cuts at once. I'm hoping to come up with a tender end product, but I cannot divide up my batches by type of steak, etc....I just don't have the time. I need to throw everything in at one temperature and get it taken care of.

UGH! So frustrating. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Andrea

Comments (8)