Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Recipe Review - July 2012

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 15:27

To follow through with my "eat less red meat" plan, I made these Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs last night. These would be good with a peanut sauce for dipping, but I just poured a little saucer of Mr. Yoshida's Sauce for my sauce last night. I'll have some more of these tonight with some fried rice.

I would make this easy recipe again in a heartbeat!

Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs

1 lb ground turkey breast
6 scallions, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, shredded
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
opt. sesame seeds to sprinkle on meatballs before baking

Teriyaki Sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Directions
In a large bowl, combine the turkey, scallions, carrot, egg, teriyaki sauce and bread crumbs. Blend well.
Using a 2-ounce scoop, form meatballs with wet hands and place on a baking pan lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Spray meatballs with vegetable oil.
Roast in a 375 F oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown on the outside and cooked through. Serve meatballs with extra teriyaki sauce, rice and/or pasta.

Sauce Directions:.
Combine all ingredients.
Blend well and heat in sauce pan, if desired.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Recipe Review - July 2012

Oops, I posted this on the wrong month of recipe reviews. Sorry.

I normally have two coleslaw recipes I use - an old North Carolina slaw recipe and an old BBQ restaurant recipe. However, yesterday (July 4th) I decided to use the following, very simple recipe. It is quite delicious and so easy. I also made a corn dish which was a new recipe for me; it is posted below the coleslaw recipe and we loved it.
Brookville Hotel Restaurant Sweet & Sour Coleslaw
1 1/2 lbs shredded green cabbage
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
1 cup whipping cream

Put shredded cabbage and salt in a bowl and mix. Refrigerate several hours or until well chilled.

30 min before serving time, mix ingredients in order given. (I did this about 2 hours before we were going to eat.)

Chill and serve.

I prefer to shred cabbage on a box grater. It seems to me that the cabbage is much more tender when shredded by this method, as opposed to a food processor.

Brookville Hotel Restaurant Cream Corn
20 ounces frozen corn
1/2 cup oleo
1 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese (I softened this to room temp)
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar

Cook on low in crock pot about 4 hours, stirring occasionally, until ingredients are well blended and hot.

o

Looks like a lot of sugar in coleslaw. How did it taste in terms of sweetness?
Olga

o

My slaw recipe calls for 1/2 cup of sugar for one large head of cabbage.....which is a lot more than 1 1/2 cups.......and it's quite sweet.

o

Lindac, thank you.I thought it should be sweeet:(
Olga

o

Walnutcreek, I'm intrigued by your method of shredding the cabbage with a box grater (partially because I don't own a food processor... :( I usually use a knife but just can't seem to cut it as thin as I like. I've heard some people use a mandolin, but I couldn't seem to get that to work for me either.

o

Actually, the coleslaw is quite tart with a nice sweetness; it is very tasty and refreshing.

To shred the cabbabe on the box grater, I cut it into wedges with the core holding everything together. Then I place one of the cut sides on the side of the box grater with the large holes and grate it, then reverse and grate the other side. I continue to do this until all that is remaining is the core and perhaps some of the tougher outside leaves.

o

Thanks for the info, I'll have to give that a try.

o

I made this with frozen scallops from Trader Joe's. Be sure to do a mis en place, because the recipe comes together rather quickly.

Scallops Provencal
from Ina Garten

INGREDIENTS
1 pound fresh bay or sea scallops
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour, for dredging
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, divided
1/2 cup chopped shallots (2 large)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 lemon, cut in 1/2

INSTRUCTIONS
1. If you're using bay scallops, keep them whole. If you're using sea scallops, cut each 1 in
half horizontally. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss with flour, and shake off the excess.

2. In a very large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over high heat until sizzling
and add the scallops in 1 layer. Lower the heat to medium and allow the scallops to
brown lightly on 1 side without moving them, then turn and brown lightly on the other
side. This should take 3 to 4 minutes, total. Melt the rest of the butter in the pan with the
scallops, then add the shallots, garlic, and parsley and saute for 2 more minutes,
tossing the seasonings with the scallops. Add the wine, cook for 1 minute, and taste for
seasoning. Serve hot with a squeeze of lemon juice.

Serves 3

o

I got a very large bag of arugula from the CSA farm Saturday. I'm not an arugula fan. It is fine in small amounts or as a garnish, but I find it overwhelming otherwise.

I served Wilted Arugula with the Scallops Provencal (above). In small bites, it complemented the scallops.

Wilted Arugula
Martha Stewart

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
8 ounces baby arugula, rinsed and drained well
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant but not browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add arugula; cook, stirring constantly, until slightly wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add vinegar; cook, stirring constantly, until most of the vinegar has evaporated, about 1 minute. Stir in salt; season with pepper. Serve immediately.

Serves 4

o

I had a log of chevre that needed to be used. I found this recipe and had all of the ingredients on hand.

I followed the recipe below, except I halved the ingredients and didn't do the individual cut outs. I just rolled out the sheet of puff pastry and made one tart. I then cut the tart into 4 pieces for DH and me for lunch. It wasn't "cute" but it was good!

Tomato and Goat Cheese Tarts
Ina Garten

YIELD 4 individual tarts

INGREDIENTS

1 package (17.3 ounces/2 sheets) puff pastry, defrosted
Good olive oil
4 cups thinly sliced yellow onions (2 large onions)
3 large garlic cloves, cut into thin slivers
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons dry white wine
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, plus 2 ounces shaved with a vegetable peeler
4 ounces garlic-and-herb goat cheese (recommended: Montrachet)
1 large tomato, cut into 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
3 tablespoons julienned basil leaves
INSTRUCTIONS

Unfold a sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface and roll it lightly to an 11 by 11-inch square. Using a 6-inch wide saucer or other round object as a guide, cut 2 circles from the sheet of puff pastry, discarding the scraps. Repeat with the second pastry sheet to make 4 circles in all. Place the pastry circles on 2 sheet pans lined with parchment paper and refrigerate until ready to use.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium to low heat and add the onions and garlic. Saute for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are limp and there is almost no moisture remaining in the skillet. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the wine, and thyme and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned. Remove from the heat.
Using a sharp paring knife, score a 1/4-inch-wide border around each pastry circle. Prick the pastry inside the score lines with the tines of a fork and sprinkle a tablespoon of grated Parmesan on each round, staying inside the scored border.
Place 1/4 of the onion mixture on each circle, again staying within the scored edge. Crumble 1 ounce of goat cheese on top of the onions. Place a slice of tomato in the center of each tart. Brush the tomato lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with basil, salt, and pepper. Finally, scatter 4 or 5 shards of Parmesan on each tart.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown. The bottom sheet pan may need an extra few minutes in the oven. Serve hot or warm.

o

I made a Peach Cake recipe from America's Test Kitchen. Looked like it should work, roast the peaches to exude some of the juice then toss with panko so the cake would not be soggy. It was not good. Edges were overbaked, middle was not done and still soggy where the peach pieces were.

I was so hoping this cake would be good. I have made the summer torte that made the rounds here last year and while it is delicious right from the oven I found it dried out very quickly.

Ah well.....back to the drawing board.
Linda

o

Have you ever made clafouti, Linda? It is somewhat eggy along with being cakey but very good and delicious with peaches, plums, berries, cherries.

Teresa

o

We love clafouti. It calls for very little sugar. Made one with raspberries couple weeks ago.

Raspberry Clafouti

3 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups raspberries

Beat the eggs until foamy. Add the remaining ingredients except the raspberries. Beat on low speed until smooth. Pour the batter into a buttered 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle the berries on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.

~Jayne (former CF member)

o

I have a few recipes I've saved over the years for clafouti and have been meaning to try it but never have. Maybe this is just the motivation I need to just do it!

Thanks!

Linda

o

doucanoe, I've been making this recipe which came from our local newspaper. It is very very good and doesn't last long enough in the house to get dry! I've made it separately with peaches (without the raspberries), with plums, and with nectarines.

I've also tried to make it a little more diabetic friendly subing Splenda for the sugar, whole wheat pastry flour and spelt for the AP flour, and 3/4 cup almond flour for the sliced almonds.

Peach Melba Cobbler (Diane Rossen Worthington - Chicago Tribune)
Serves 6-8
You can personalize this recipe to include your favorite seasonal fruits, such as nectarines, plums, blackberries or boysenberries. Just make sure to add enough sugar to sweeten the fruit you are using. I have added my own twist of toasted almonds to the dough to complement the fruit

Ingredients:
6 large or 10 medium peaches (about 10 cups), cut into 1-inch pieces
3 cups raspberries (three 6-ounce baskets)
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon finely chopped lemon zest
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Dough:
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 large egg
2 tablespoons sliced almonds

1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Butter and flour a 9x13-inch baking dish.

2. Prepare the filling: Combine the fruit, sugar, lemon zest and flour in a bowl and mix well to combine. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish. The fruit should come up to 1/4-inch from the top. (Save room for the cobbler dough.) Place the dish on a baking sheet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly.

3. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the 1/2 cup of almonds on a baking sheet and toast for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Let cool. Transfer to a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until finely ground.

4. Prepare the dough: In a medium mixing bowl combine the ground almonds, flour, 5 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in the butter with your fingers or two forks until it resembles the size of small peas. In a small bowl combine the buttermilk, vanilla, almond extract and egg, and whisk to combine. Pour it into the center of the dough mixture and mix to combine with a wooden spoon. The dough will be sticky.

5. When the fruit has cooked for 20 minutes, remove it from the oven. Use an ice cream scooper to drop the dough onto the hot fruit. You can spread out the dough and make it as even as you like. The more uneven the dough, the more cobbled the dough will look. Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of sugar and the sliced almonds over the dough and return the cobbler to the oven for about 20 more minutes or until it is golden brown and the dough is cooked through. Let cool for 30 minutes, and serve with French vanilla ice cream. The cobbler is best served warm.

Advance preparation:
May be prepared up to 8 hours ahead and kept at room temperature. Serve room temperature or reheat in a 350 F oven for 10-15 minutes.

o

Ovenbird, that sounds delicious! I made peach cobbler last week with peaches we brought home from my DD's in east Texas, they were so good. I haven't made this yet, but it is on my to try list, from Simply Recipes.

Cherry Clafouti Recipe

Traditional clafoutis recipes call for using cherries with their pits still in, which are supposed to lend some almond flavor to the dish. In this recipe the pits are removed, making the clafouti easier to eat, but you can do it either way.

Ingredients
2 cups of fresh sweet cherries, pitted
2 tablespoons of slivered almonds
3 eggs
1 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour, sifted
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of whole milk
2 teaspoons of Amaretto -or- 3/4 teaspoon of almond extract
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
Powdered sugar for dusting

Method

1 Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter and lightly flour a 9X9 or 10X7 baking dish. Toss in the cherries and slivered almonds.

2 Whisk the eggs, sugars, salt, and flour together until smooth.

3 Add the milk, Amaretto (or almond extract, if using), and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth. Pour into the baking dish.

4 Bake for 40-50 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. When you pull it put of the oven it will wiggle a bit which is normal. Place on a wire rack to cool. The clafoutis will have puffed up quite a bit and will deflate while cooling. When cool dust the clafoutis with powdered sugar. Serve.

Serves 6.

o

This was pretty good. If you want to make the exact recipe, use almond butter instead of the peanut butter, and don't add the chili garlic paste.

Peanut Dipping Sauce from Sunset magazine, July 2012
(original name Almond Hoisin Sauce)

1/4 C crunchy peanut butter
3 T water
2 T hoisin
2 tsp low sodium soy
2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp chili garlic sauce

Whisk or stir peanut butter with water, add remaining ingredients and stir or whisk.

Serve.

o

teresanc, Thanks for the meatball recipe. Sounds really good and I too am on the "eat less red meat" plan. But, was wondering, did you use the "made" teriyaki sauce in the meatballs or did you use a "store bought" kind?
Bet the mixture would make good burgers too.
Thanks
Murphy

o

I came across these Greek potatoes, at Ann T's blog. A Canadian blogger (Peter Kalofagas) posted the recipe originally. I couldn't get my mind off of them, and I made them tonite.

I made Chicken Marabella last nite for dinner, and I just had to make these potatoes. They don't really go together, as they are two flavourful sauces on their own. But hubby just loved them, and he didn't notice or care, about the 2 different flavours. Next time, I'll make a simple grilled chicken breast as the side.

Anyhoo, they are Patates Plaki, roasted with potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, onions and garlic. Chicken broth, seasonings and oil round out the flavours. Highly recommend.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patates Plaki

o

A reader in a magazine I subscribe to sent in a recipe for a cactus garden salsa. I made it but was appalled that it called for 4 1/2 c of sugar; I couldn't figure out why, and thought the whole thing rather bland. But I liked the idea, did some searching on pectin (which I had never used), bought more ingredients & twitched the recipe around last week. It came out much better this time - enough that I'm sharing it around with friends & neighbors. Some of the ingredients have a quantity range: I used the larger amounts for more zestiness. I think I changed the recipe enough to rename it:

Pickled Cactus and Jalapeno Salsa Jam
Yield: 6-7 4-oz containers

1 3/4 c seeded, chopped tomatoes (red are better than orange)
3/4-1 cup nopalitos (canned marinated cactus), chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2-2/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/3-1/2 cup chopped pickled jalapeno chile peppers
1 tsp finely shredded lime peel
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4-1/2 tsp bottled hot pepper sauce
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup water
1 3/4 ounce package premium fruit powdered pectin (less or no sugar type)

1. In a large bowl stir together tomatoes, nopalitos, onion, cilantro, tomato sauce, jalapenos, lime peel, lime juice, hot pepper sauce, and salt. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. In a small saucepan stir together the water and pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring occasionally, and boil for 1 minute. Pour over vegetables. Stir for 5 minutes.
3. Spoon jam into half-pint freezer containers, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before serving. Serve over cream cheese with tortilla chips or crackers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Notes on pectin half way down the screen

o

Murphy, I always have a big container of Mr. Yoshida's Sauce on hand - I love it for baking chicken, using as a dipping sauce, and adding to recipes like the Turkey Teriyaki Meatballs. It is pretty sweet, so I don't use too much of it.

Teresa

o

Been wanting to try this for a few months. Now that the fresh tomato harvest is winding down (except for the Sun Golds) figured now was as good a time as any.

Added fresh garlic and a couple minced hot peppers (along with the crushed). First time eating perciatelle pasta. It was perfect with the heavy sauce. Definite keeper.

Amatriciana (from The Italian Dish blog)

o

I made this today with our first picking of scapes. I made it as written except I used more scapes. Probably wasn't necessary...we will knock over anyone who who comes withing breathing distance, lol. It was yummy served with pita bread triangles. Next time I might add some tahini and call it hummus.

White Bean and Garlic Scapes Dip

Time: 15 minutes

1/3 cup sliced garlic scapes (3 to 4)

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, more to taste

1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt, more to taste

Ground black pepper to taste

1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, more for drizzling.

1. In a food processor, process garlic scapes with lemon juice, salt and pepper until finely chopped. Add cannellini beans and process to a rough puree.

2. With motor running, slowly drizzle olive oil through feed tube and process until fairly smooth. Pulse in 2 or 3 tablespoons water, or more, until mixture is the consistency of a dip. Add more salt, pepper and/or lemon juice, if desired.

3. Spread out dip on a plate, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with more salt.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Bean and Garlic Scape Dip

o

Robbie, DD#1, gave me this recipe a few weeks ago and we have really enjoyed it. It really is more like a salad than a relish, to us. I double it, easily. Quick and easy,and tasty.... what more could one want!

CORN RELISH/SALAD
1/4 C. white wine vinegar
1 1/2 T. sugar
A little olive oil
S & P
Add:
2 C. grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
2 ears fresh corn kernels
1/2 C slivered or chopped red onion
2 T. minced fresh parsley
1 T. chopped chives
1 T. thinly sliced basil
Toss to mix.

jude

o

Jude, that sounds really good. Sweetcorn is just starting here and I picked my first cherry tomato yesterday. So it will soon be time to try your recipe.

Thanks to you and your DD#1!

Nancy

o

Robbie, DD#1, gave me this recipe a few weeks ago and we have really enjoyed it. It really is more like a salad than a relish, to us. I double it, easily. Quick and easy,and tasty.... what more could one want!

CORN RELISH/SALAD
1/4 C. white wine vinegar
1 1/2 T. sugar
A little olive oil
S & P
Add:
2 C. grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
2 ears fresh corn kernels
1/2 C slivered or chopped red onion
2 T. minced fresh parsley
1 T. chopped chives
1 T. thinly sliced basil
Toss to mix.

jude

o
RE: New Recipe Review - July 2012/

Sorry, I didn't mean to do that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here