Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jotul cast iron waffle/pizzelle/krumkake maker

Posted by empress (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 15:09

I recently purchased a heavy, cast iron *something* and I am trying to figure out what to make in it. I thought, in my delight at seeing it, that it was a pizzelle maker, but now it seems it is for waffles, but really thin waffles. Hopefully someone can help me out here.

It is stamped on the outside "Jotul No. 6 Product of Norway" on the center of each side. The only information I can find online is Jotul's stoves or sales of vintage items like this. I can't tell from the sales listings what it is for sure, since some call it a waffle maker, some a pizzelle maker, some a krumkake pan, others a crepe press. What I do know for sure is, it weighs more than most of my iron skillets!!! Thank goodness it also has a stand that allows you to simply pivot it in the holder to flip while cooking.

I seasoned it, and this morning tried it out using Lou's pizzelle recipe. I guess it is not a pizzelle maker, because these were not crisp and thin as I think a pizzelle should be. But really, it is very thin for a waffle.

What do I have, and what is the best kind of recipe to use in it?

To help a little, here is a picture of the inside of the device. It's about 7-3/4" across the baking surface and the impressions are about 1/8" deep, so the final product is about 1/4" thick, kinda thin for a waffle, and too thick for a crispy, pizelle-type cookie, I think.

Anybody have one of these or know what I have for sure?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jotul cast iron waffle/pizzelle/krumkake maker

May be you have a Krumkake maker

dcarch

o

Here is one on ebay. (krumkake maker) Is this what you have?

Here is a link that might be useful: Jotul krumkake iron

o
RE: Jotul cast iron waffle/pizzelle/krumkake maker another

Here's a better pic with the stand

Here is a link that might be useful: Jotul krumkake iron

o

Thanks, dcarch and olychick. The outside of mine looks like the iron in the first link (scroll down) however the inside is quite different. (Hey! I posted a picture before, but I can't see it! I will try again.)

The ones in the links would make a nice, thin cookie with a design sort of inscribed into it, what I think of as a pizzelle. The one I have has a deeper pockets, like a waffle. I suspect it is a waffle iron, but such thin waffles. I don't think it would work for krumkake cones, unless there is a specific batter that makes it crisp up when it cools. That is why I'm asking. I'm hoping there is someone here who knows what it is and what recipe I should be using.

o

Trying again to post a pic of the inside of the iron that I suspect is a waffle maker, but perhaps is a krumkake iron or pizzelle iron.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jotul No 6 Iron

o

You have a Norwegan waffle maker. Very traditional "vafell" (I can't spell it but I can say it!) maker.....they are little sort of cookie like waffles often served folded over and filled with whipped cream and jam or fruit.

o

Posted by empress"Trying again to post a pic of the inside of the iron that I suspect is a waffle maker, but perhaps is a krumkake iron or pizzelle iron.
Here is a link that might be useful: Jotul No 6 Iron"

If you look into my thread "Rice Paper", the first two photos, you will see I used the same maker to make the pancakes.

dcarch

o

Here's one recipe I found.....I have never made them..but when I have eaten them they they were seasoned with cardamon. This recipe calls for a teaspoon of ground cardamon.....think that may be a bit much!!

Here in the middle of the country, there are a lot of 3rd generation Scandanavians, and some how they get their pastries mixed up. My Danish neighbor would come over at Christmas with something that looked for all the world like the krumkaka that my Swedish mother in law made. My friend, Gerda made the waffles as well as other wonderful little treats. And then there's my Dutch friends with names like Schakel and Knoot! All make wonderful goodies!

Here is a link that might be useful: Norwegean waffles

o

Thank you all so much!

I saw the picture, dcarch, on the rice paper thread, and wondered when I noticed the heart shapes.

Lindac, thanks for the info and the recipe. I like the idea of folding them over a filling--they seem just right for that. They just seem too thin to eat like regular waffles, but I think I would really enjoy them as you suggested. (I have a sensitivity to wheat, so will have to wait another week or so before trying the recipe. I can tolerate small doses not too close together. The "blueberry puzzle" question by compumom describes my wheat situation very well.)

Have a good rest of the weekend everyone. Prayers and hugs to all those affected by the shooting in Aurora, CO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here