Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pot stickers.. sorta?!?

Posted by klseiverd (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 15:06

By NO means an expert on pot stickers. Mine always look a little "ugly" but always taste good. Have made them with a pork mixture and that came out very tasty.

Bought nice wonton wrappers at my local Asian market yesterday, and the "mad scientist" part of my brain kicked and and have started thinking of spin-offs. Made the same way... stuck and then released by a little broth with some kind of dipping sauce. BUT thinking of different stuff to put inside?!?

Have had a few ideas rattling around in my head where the marbles used to be. Thinking corned beef... minced up real fine with either sauerkraut or cole slaw... Russian dressing for dipping?

Maybe pulled pork... BBQ sauce to dip. Maybe a mini meatball (already cooked) with a nice tomatoe sauce for dipping. Shredded grilled chicken... with Buffalo wing sauce. Maybe taco meat... with salsa & melted cheese. Or seasoned potates... with sour cream, sorta like a perogi?? Haven't come up with an all veggie idea... YET.

Thinking any of these potential hair-brained idea would also make some very non-traditional "egg rolls", too. If I'm totally off my rocker... I can deal with that. If I'm still ON that rocker... what would YOU see in a pot sticker??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pot stickers.. sorta?!?

We go to a St. Paddy's day party every year & the host makes a ton of corned beef & cabbage egg rolls - they are very good!

o

Nothing is more culturally off than crab rangoon - and people love it. I like your ideas esp pulled pork and shredded chicken. Rice, mint and ground lamb with a yogurt cucumber sauce? I have only done experiments with an asian flavors. I like them cold too.

o

You could make a shrimp or lobster PS with a cocktail sauce or lemon aoli(sp?) for dipping. How about a hershey kiss and then dip it in a dark liquidy ganache? NancyLouise

o

Love the ideas!
But I think I would put the tomato sauce/sourcream etc inside....and keep my dipping sauce a little more traditional....sort of brothy but highly seasoned in keeping with the filling.
How about shredded chicken in a curry sauce with just sour cream to dip? (assuming the curry is hot).
Or shredded beef with a highly seasoned au jus for dipping?

o

I think most ethnicities have some form of ravioli, just as they have versions of stuffed cabbage, etc. My own tendency is toward authenticity within whichever ethnic cuisine I am working, based on the assumption that the authentic is T&T. However, I would nor disparage your experiments, especially if the starting point is an inspired idea.

The first gao tse I ever ate were filled with a mixture of minced pork and Chinese cabbage (napa), made by Chinese friends.

Jim

o

I use won ton wrappers for different types of filling but usually serve them more like a ravioli than a pot sticker but you have me thinking! Some of my favourites are a lobster filling, cabbage/cheese and potato filling, and a Ricotta and prosciutto filling.

The Ricotta and Prosciutto recipe would do well made in the shape of a pot sticker, fried in butter and dipped in a Marinara sauce.

Ravioli With Ricotta And Prosciutto

1/2 cup prosciutto -- Diced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large garlic clove -- minced
1 shallot -- minced (green
-onions would do fine)
1 cup ricotta
1 cup Parmesan -- Freshly Grated
1/2 cup Asiago -- grated
1/2 cup frozen spinach -- thawed and
-squeezed dry
1 egg
nutmeg
salt and pepper
won ton wrappers (or fresh
-pasta)

Saut the prosciutto in the extra-virgin olive oil just until
softened.
Add the garlic and shallot. Saut until limp but not browned.
In a bowl combine ricotta, Parmesan, Asiago, egg, spinach, nutmeg, salt
and pepper. Add prosciutto mixture.
Place a spoonful of the mixture on top of a won ton wrapper,
wet the edges. Place another wrapper on top and seal the edges.
Alternatively you can fold the wrapper over the filling to form a
triangle. I often use a ravioli cutter to trim the edges.
Place the filled raviolis in boiling salted water. They dont take very
long to cook. They float and become slightly translucent.

Serce with a light tomato sauce or a browned butter

o

Google and youtube "Xiaolongbao" making.

There is a very special technique in getting delicious soup or broth into pot stickers.

I sometime do that in making raviolis. Extra special!

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here