Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cream Cheese Danish

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 14:48

Been awhile since I baked Cream Cheese Danish.

The dough only takes a few minutes to put together. Needs to be refrigerated over night.

This morning divided it up and made three different shapes.

Ready in time for breakfast.

Will share some with neighbours and freeze the rest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cream Cheese Danish

I can't remember the last time I had a Danish, it's been years. Yours look quite perfect.

o

They do look beautiful, Ann. Same as you FOAS. It's been years.

/t

o

I know I have had one in the last year but not home made. They look delish. Recipe on the blog?

o

Thanks FOAS and Tricia.

CL, yes, I posted it (again) to the blog today.

~Ann

o

Ann are there directions somewhere as to how you roll up or make the single danish?
Have made the large one before but not the single. Your recipe is a delish no fail recipe!

Thanks for sharing!

o

Trudy, the individual danish are easy to make. Just roll the dough out, and cut into three inch squares. Fold each corner into the centre pushing so that they stay put. Cover and let rise until at least double. Make an indent in the centre and fill the indent with the cream cheese filling. Brush the dough with an egg wash and bake until golden.

The snails were also easy. Roll the dough into about a 24 X 9 inch rectangle and cut 1 X 9 " strips. Hold both ends of a strip and twist in opposite direction to form a coiled rope.. Lay the coil flat and then roll one end into the centre on top and the other end into the centre on the bottom. Kind of like an S shape. Let rise, and then make indents in the middle of each coiled end and fill with the cream cheese filling. Brush with the egg wash.

~Ann

o

Here's Ann's recipe from a few years ago. These danish are amazing. I remember when she posted this and I made them for the first time and they were as good looking and good tasting as her pictures. These got me back into baking - I was very popular at work!

It's a fall/winter project for me, and a favorite with the family. It's going to be 100 today, so we'll be buying peach cake and apple cider doughnuts from the farm store.

Well, it didn't look quite as good! LOL But it sure tastes as good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe

This post was edited by momj47 on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 8:32

o

I have made Ann's recipe-outstanding. I would eat one of these everyday for breakfast if I was more industrious.

o

Ann, I don't like cream cheese danish, but do love fruit danish. Could I just sub a thicken fruit in the place of the cream cheese? Your danish look lovely!

o

I love the generous drizzle of glaze !!!

o

Beachilly, I can't think of any reason why you couldn't. I've made it before with a cinnamon and apple filling.

~Ann

o

Thank you, thank you!

o

I love these too. My coworkers beg for them. I always add a layer of raspberry preserves with the cream cheese, and I've also used lemon curd. I want to try the different shapes now!

o

momj47: the link doesn't seem to work ... :(

o

I think it downloads the recipe as a PDF file.

Cream Cheese Danish Coffee Cake
Ann_T

Dough
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 t. salt
½ cup milk
2 packages instant (bread machine) yeast (4 1/2 t.)
(1 Tbs vital wheat gluten - optional, I like the softness it gives yeast dough)
2 eggs beaten
4 cups all purpose flour

Over low heat in a small saucepan, heat butter, sour cream, sugar, milk and salt until warm and sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.

In large mixing bowl, add flour, vital wheat gluten and yeast.
Mix sour cream mixture with beaten eggs and add to flour. Mix until cohesive dough forms. Will be very soft dough. Cover and put in fridge overnight to rise. (May be done same day. Put in fridge for about 2 to 4 hours, and then proceed.)

Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead 6 or 7 times.
Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and roll each piece out to 12 X 8 inches (the size of the paper the recipe is printed on).

Filling
2 - 8 oz. packages cream cheese (softened)
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg beaten
1 t. vanilla extract
1/8 t. salt
Beat together cream cheese with sugar; add egg and vanilla extract and salt.

Spread 1/4 of filling on to each piece and roll jellyroll style from long side.
Pinch seams and ends to seal.
Place seam side down on parchment paper on a baking sheet and cut about 4 - 6 slashes in top (a single edge razor blade works well)
Danish should be slightly flattened, and about 3 1/2 to 4 inches wide and about 12 inches long.

Cover and let rise until about double in size -approximately 1 hour Bake at 375 for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden. Let cool on wire racks. Cover with foil if the tops start to get too dark.

Glaze
2 1/2 c confectioners sugar
1/4 c milk
1 t. vanilla extract
(toasted sliced almonds)
Combine the first 3 ingredients for glaze. I let the loaves cool some and put the glaze in a baggie with a tiny hole in the corner and drizzled it on.

o

Thanks so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here