Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to Make with Lemons

Posted by blueheron (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 14:43

I have 6 lemons in the crisper that I'd like to use up. DH is diabetic and I'm trying to lower the gluten in my diet.. Plus, we would like to lose a few pounds.

What could I make with the lemons?

I printed out a recipe for reduced calorie lemon bars (I can use gluten-free Bisquick), but it calls for pine nuts. What could I substitute for the pine nuts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to Make with Lemons

I use lemon for so many foods. Why tempt yourself and hubby with sweeter treats? Last night I made lamb kebabs and they were marinated in lemon juice, oregano, S&P. I use lemons in salads, sorbets, as a hot drink in my tea, with fish, veggies...you get the idea.

o

Chicken piccata, fish w lemon, love lemon on broccoli, iced tea w lemon, plain seltzer w lemon. I have a cup of hot water w lemon every morning before breakfast.

o

Hmmm. Well, I WAS going to say lemon bars. No, lemon meringue pie. No, lemon curd. No, I'm not indecisive, LOL.

Lots of savory things can be made with lemon. I put it in my hummus, and use it in chicken piccata, as noted above. I make an Asian lemon chicken too.

If you don't like any of those ideas, try this thread, it's a Cook Along thread and the subject was lemons.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon cook along

o

If you just want to use them before they go bad, juice them all and put the juice in ice cube trays. When they're good and frozen, pop out the lemon juice cubes and put them in a Ziploc to store. Then you can use them at leisure.

You can also zest all of the rinds and freeze it for later use.

o

I tend to clip a lot of recipes but never get around to using them. I did try this one from our local paper, though, and it's a winner with everybody I've tried it on. I usually just use a bottled sauce as a dip, or a jar of satay sauce. Some Greek tzatziki is pretty good with it, too.

Chicken Skewers with Garlic, Lemon & Mint
Adapted from Roving Feast columnist Marlena Spieler.

Makes two 15-inch metal skewers, enough to serve 3-4 people.

INGREDIENTS
1.5 lbs chicken breast, skinless and boneless, completely trimmed
5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, stems removed and chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice (use 3 small or 2 large lemons), seeds removed
1 tablespoons olive oil
2 tsp McCormick's lemon pepper or other brand

Optional: only if using the cooked marinade for a sauce:
1/4 cup dry white wine or dry sherry
1/4 cup chicken broth

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Cut the chicken into 2” chunks.

2. Combine the chicken, garlic, mint, lemon juice, olive oil, and lemon pepper in a plastic container. Cover tightly. Refrigerate overnight, or up to 24 hours.

3. Remove from refrig 1/2 hr before serving. Drain the chicken, reserving marinade.

4. Place oven rack in highest position and preheat broiler on high for at least 10 minutes. Line a large flat cookie sheet, big enough to hold both skewers, with foil. Spray with cooking spray.

5. Thread the chicken cubes onto two 15-inch skewers. Place on cookie sheet, spray again with cooking spray.

6. Broil chicken skewers for 7 min. on one side and 3-4 minutes the second side. (Note: if baking at 500° instead of broiling; add another 5 min to cooking time!) Let rest on a platter 2-3 minutes.

7. Add the chicken broth and sherry to reserved marinade. Bring to a boil over high heat for 3-4 minutes. Thicken with cornstarch, or just cook over medium heat until reduced to 3/4 cup. Taste for seasoning, then cover or low heat to keep it warm.

Garnish chicken with additional chopped mint, if you wish. Serve the sauce on the side. A Romesco or Thai/Indonesian spicy peanut sauce is also good with this.

o

Thank you all. That recipe sounds delicious. If only I could
figure out how to print it out...

o

You can clip it (upper right hand of post) and before saving it, hit your print button.

o

Tonight for dinner I made Greek style chicken with lemon and garlic, with new potatoes. It was fab. Just rub some chicken (I used boneless chicken thighs, they were on sale), with salt, pepper and garlic powder or chopped garlic, and dried oregano. Slice up lemons thinly and layer between chicken pieces, maybe add some white wine if you like. Marinate 2 hours or overnight. Then mix some olive oil and potatoes and red onion covered with the same spice mix. Put the potatoes in a roasting pan along with the lemon slices and chicken and roast at 450 degrees for 1/2 hour and 400 degrees for the next half hour and they should be done. Reduce the pan juices and serve as a sauce. Great with greek salad and maybe some sauteed zucchini or steamed green beans or broccoli. Those are good with lemon butter too.

I also make lemon muffins with olive oil, they are great too, not overly sweet. Not sure about gluten free. I try to limit wheat but I am not gluten sensitive so I sometimes have muffins for breakfast or afternoon snack.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tuscan Lemon Muffins, Cooking Light Magazine

o

L, so your company enjoyed the chicken? Elery says your new digs passed inspection, so congratulations on that too. (grin)

Annie

o

Make a jug of lemonade and use them all up at once!

o

I got this off GW back in 2009, and it's a winner:

Sol’s Lemon Garlic Chicken
Revised March 2009 by jkom51

Lemon pepper (I use McCormick's; less sodium than salt)
3 lbs chicken thighs, boneless/skinless, trimmed of visible fat
3 Tblsp olive oil
25 garlic cloves, halved
1 Tblsp grated lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary and/or tarragon
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
3/4 cup chicken broth, reserved for gravy

1. Lightly sprinkle lemon pepper the chicken thighs, up to the night before, but at least 1/2 hour before cooking.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
3. In a saute pan large enough for the garlic to spread out, saute the halves over medium heat until lightly speckled with golden brown, and just beginning to soften. Do not let them burn or turn dark brown.
4. Remove garlic from heat. Add lemon zest, juice, and all chopped herbs. Add this marinade to the chicken parts and mix lightly.
5. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Spread the chicken and marinade into a single layer. If the pan is too large, shorten the foil lining, leaving at least a full 1” rim to contain juices.
6. Bake 30 minutes. Change to Broil, move rack to highest position, and caramelize under the broiler for 4-5 minutes.
7. Remove chicken to a warmed serving dish. Lift foil carefully and pour juices into the saute pan. Heat, adding the broth, and thicken with cornstarch.

Excellent with simpler starches: roasted or mashed potatoes, Israeli couscous or orzo, steamed rice.

o

Preserved Lemons in One Week
From Michael Bauer, SF Chronicle food writer

• Quarter as many lemons (preferably Meyer) as you want and freeze them overnight in a glass or other non-reactive bowl.
• The next day, remove the lemons from the freezer and sprinkle on 1 tablespoon of kosher salt per lemon; stir to coat.
• Cover and set aside at room temperature for one week, stirring once a day.
• At the end of the week, the lemons will be ready to use - as a flavoring for roast chicken, a sauce for pasta, a condiment for cauliflower or broccoli and myriad other ways limited only by your imagination.

QUESTION OF THE WEEK
I tried your recipe for preserved lemons you wrote about in a previous newsletter. Now they're in my refrigerator and I was wondering if you had recipes for using them?

I don't have any specific recipes, but I use them liberally as flavoring agents. They're great tossed into the cavity of a chicken or slipped under the skin before roasting. Chop them up and use them with green beans, broccoli, spinach or just about any vegetable. They're great in pasta, especially to flavor a cream sauce or as an added boost to a tomato sauce. If you have bottled red sauce, chop up one-quarter lemon and add to that sauce, you'll be amazed at how quickly it freshens and transforms it. Minced preserved lemon is also great in a vinaigrette salad dressing or stirred into mayonnaise as a quick sauce for fish.

Also: chopped and added to a vodka cream sauce over pasta. Yummy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here