SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moosemac_gw

Need Corn Cake HELP!

moosemac
10 years ago

I'm hoping you can help me. I've been testing Corn Cake recipes for a special dinner. The basics are 1.5 cups of raw corn pureed with a tbs. of buttermilk, and one egg; 3 ears of roasted corn, 1.5 oz. of corn flour and 1.5 oz. AP flour, tsp. baking powder, garlic, green onions, a dash of hot sauce, salt and pepper.

I wanted to showcase the beautiful fresh corn of the season and layers of corn flavor. The first batch was just plain bland and heavy. Plenty of fresh corn flavor but no depth. The second batch I added a adobo, and substituted egg whites whipped stiff to add some lightness.

This second batch had a better texture and were lighter but adobo didn't pair well. for the third batch, I though I'd try a riff on Mexican Street Corn so I added a touch of crystalized lime, mayo, chili powder and a little bit of cheese and one more whipped egg white. I also browned the corn flour to give it a more complex and less raw flavor.

These didn't cook well; they stayed raw in the middle and they tasted fishy! I did make the puree last night, could that be it?

These will be served with Seared Sea Scallops with Citrus glaze and an heirloom tomato salsa.

Anyone have any suggestions or a TT amazing corn cake recipe?

Comments (4)