Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I make taco 'shells' from flat tortillas?

Posted by terri_pacnw (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 08 at 14:30

Okay I've got corn tortillas, and would like to make them into shells....
How do I do this? How do I form them? At what point of "frying" them do I shape them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I make taco 'shells' from flat tortillas?

Fry them in about an inch of hot oil turn and when they are slightly browned remove and place them in a "taco shaper". I have used the times of a wooden fork to hold themw hile theya re cooling.
You have to hold them in the shape while they cool or they will flop open.
Or do you mean make them into a bowl? To do that it's best to use a "taco bowl shaper" which is a basket thingey that you lower into the fat with the raw shell in it...I have fried the shell until it's soft and then shaped it over a bowl while hot and put into a 200 oven to firm up....but it's not the same as a deep fried shell.
Linda C

o

No taco shapers Linda.. Thanks for the tip to hold while cooling. I think I'll have the boys help..they can each take a wooden spoon..LOL

o

Terri, I make taco shells frequently. I don't make them real crispy, we like them more flexible. I do as Linda does-that is--fry them in a little oil, flip to the other side, fold in half, flip to the other side again for a few seconds, then drain on paper towels. This is done no longer than a minute total.

o

Thanks Cathy!
The boys and I will give it a try this week for lunch.

o

What they said. I've never seen a taco press but I found this gizmo on Amazon. What a hoot!

We like them "taco truck" style: soft, very fresh corn tortillas (2 stacked) left open-face with the fillings on top. Fold with fingers, turn head sideways, bite.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taco Press

o

I have seen a thingey that holds the shells after you fry them so they stay in shape and it makes it easy to fill...
And the other thing was for making tortilla salad bowls. You can also use it to make hash brown potato bowls for...?? Soup?
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Tortilla bowl maker

o

Do Mexicans use those gadgets?

(Answer: No)

Jim

o

This is one of my fast go-to meals, especially when tomatoes and peppers are coming in. Like Linda and others said just fry at medium-hot for 30 seconds or so, flip and do the same...then transfer to a napkin and 'fold and hold' just long enough for the shell to conform to taco size or thereabouts...usually not long.

This is just great with fresh corn tortillas. I can't believe I actually bought the 'box' of crunchy shells for so many years.

Duane

o

Mexicans don't make taco salads in cute little bowls of fried flour tortillas. They make a taco salad in a pottery bowl and surround it with chips.

o

My Mom always made her own taco shells because my Dad hated the premade ones. They were too hard and usually shattered at the first bite.
She put the tortilla into hot oil for a couple of seconds and then used tongs to fold it basically in half, letting one side fry until crispy and then flipping it over and frying the other side. It only takes the blink of an eye and they are finished.
Lisa

o

Thanks Lisa for that tip..

o

On ATK, they held one side of the tortilla with tongs and fried half of the tortilla, sort of in an "L" shape, with the upper part of the "L" held by tongs. Then when half of the tortilla was done, they would fold it gently and turn it over to fry the side that had been held out of the oil. I think they only used about 1/2 inch of oil. After draining, they put the shells in a 200 oven to keep warm.

DB has a taco press, and so I've used that, but it requires more oil.

Lars

o

I saw this on Rachael Rae. She turned a muffin pan upside down and inserted the hot fried tortillas between the "bumps". It is an easy way to serve pre-filled tacos as well as a method to help shape them. I can't remember exactly but I think that is what she was using the muffin pans for. Guess not all muffin pans would work but you might luck out. Give it a try.

o

If you like crispy tacos and want to avoid all that extra oil, what we do is fill the soft taco shell , fold and tuck then into the oven for 7 minutes or so then flip for another 7 minutes.

These are pretty hot out of the oven, be careful of youngsters.

With the flipping, you can judge how crispy you like to have em.
You can freeze them and put them into a toaster oven or back into the oven, of course fresh is best.

o

WOW, even more tips..
I did the frying today..the boys were "wowed"..LOL

okay not really..:0>

but I used the tong in the oil method..
put the tortilla in, 8 seconds, flip, 8 seconds, fold, 8 seconds flip to the other side, hold first folded side open while second side cooked for 8 more seconds.
I got some perfect ones..some not so perfect and a few that you had to "shoot" the stuffing in from one side.. LOL

o

I have had those same experiences, Terri. It gets better with practice.
I just wish I could get the fresh corn tortillas here. I have to make do with the premade taco shells.
Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here