Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zucchini bread. Can't believe I did that.

Posted by dedtired (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 14:29

Just baked two loaves of Z-Bread. Smells great. Looks great. A light bulb just went on in my head that I forgot to add the cup of oil. I'm an idiot. I haven't cut them yet but I am betting that it will be extremely dry Z-Bread. Oy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zucchini bread. Can't believe I did that.

I finally sliced one. It is about one step away from being a brick. These are going into the trash and I will try again. Dammit.

o

Oh no!! Doesn't that make you mad!

Lately I've been putting all of my ingredients on the counter and then putting them to the other side, or back in the cupboard as I use them. I even do that when I make my spice mix, to ensure I don't forget anything.

o

I have done this sort of thing often enough so that I have learned to read the entire recipe first and then go back over the list of ingredients to be sure everything is in there. Well, obviously, I didn't do that this time.

And yes, it does make me mad! I like your method. Maybe if I put everything on the right and then move it to the left as I use it, I'll do better.

o

BREAD PUDDING!!!!

o

Door stops.

o

dupe

This post was edited by dedtired on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:49

o

I forgot the sugar once in Zucchini bread.

o

Ew. How did that taste?

o

Disgusting...fed to dog.

o

Hmmm, maybe my zucchini bread would make good dog chews.

I made two more loaves, this time with the oil and some yogurt. They are still cooling, but they look a lot better. Guess which one has the oil in it?

o

dedtired, it's not funny, but it is, kind of. It seems so much like something I'd do, although I usually read the recipe, mix up all the ingredients, read the recipe AGAIN to make sure I added everything, then bake. Sometimes I still get it wrong. Ah well. I was hoping that all that zucchini would add enough moisture to at least save it.

French Toast? Not that MY dog would turn up her nose but still...

Annie

o

I wouldn't trash them.... A failed (yeast or quick) bread can be incorporated into other things like French Toast or Bread Pudding.

I also convert them to fresh or dried bread crumbs and use them in "bread crumb recipes" I have gleaned from old cookbooks over the years making brownies, cakes, cookies, waffles and pancakes. It merely replaces all or some of the flour.

The beauty of these old - waste not, want not - recipes, they have all worked equally well with my gluten-free leftovers and failures. :-)

-Grainlady

o

Actually, it is kind of funny, Annie, in a slap your forehead and roll your eyes kind of way. To top it off, this morning I discovered a pint of expensive organic ice cream left in the fridge not the freezer. I put it in there to soften it because it was hard to scoop and forgot it. The only thing getting soft is my brain.

Grainlady, it is encouraging to hear that you screw up sometimes too! In this case, I cannot see putting good ingredients after bad. Maybe I will throw it out for the foxes to eat. They seem to eat pretty much anything and have strong jaws.

o

I made rolls today, took them out of the oven & I always have to have one immediately with butter. Took the first bite & realized I had left out the salt. Not a total loss, lacking in flavor, but nothing a bit more butter wouldn't cure.

o

Squirrels enjoyed the zucchini brick.

Ngraham, spread them with salted butter, I guess!

o

Yup, salted butter smeared all over it, yum, I never missed the salt. Of course, a lot more calories than I usually take in, but can't waste a good roll :)

o

It happens.

But your perseverence paid off, and now you have two beautiful zucchini loaves. The squirrels are happy. And I'll bet the birds are singing too.

Pam, long ago, when I used to bake for clients, I forgot the sugar in a cake I was baking. The sugar.

I would've never realized the error of my ways if I hadn't trimmed the cake (to sneak a taste from the scraps), before icing it. Ay Dios mio :)

A recipe for disaster, indeed.

Sol

o

Squirrels enjoyed the zucchini brick.

Ah but were they your neighboring black squirrels.....

o

Jessica!!! You're back and evil as always, LOL.

I missed you.....

Annie

o

Bet those sqirrels are holding their tummies...

I have forgotten things too so now I put everything on the counter then pour and put back in the cupboard or fridge. When the counter is clear, the recipe is filled. Oh, except for that time I forgot to put the eggs on the counter... yup, even that method is not fool proof!

o

If I was feeding it to the "neighboring black squirrels" I would have included some arsenic. Nice to see ya, EJ.

Well, if you can forget ingredients, Sol, then I don't feel so bad. Another time I made a german chocolate cake and forgot the butter in the cake. Fortunately the icing wa so rich it kind of covered up for the cake. A cake without sugar? Yuck.

Yeah, Lori, at some point you have to get the ol' brain functioning and that is harder all the time.

This post was edited by dedtired on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 22:31

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here