Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Enormous Zucchini

Posted by blueheron (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 14:09

I missed seeing this one zucchini in the garden and it got HUGE. Can I shred it and freeze it for future use?

Zucchini bread would taste good in the winter, I'm thinking. I could also make soup and quiches.

What is the best way to freeze it to prevent freezer burn?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Enormous Zucchini

It may well be pithy inside....so check it before you commit.
Just shred and package in freezer bags. There is so much moisture (usually) in zucchini that it won't burn.....tehre will be a lot of liquid in the bag when you thaw it....dump that and proceed with your recipe....

o

They can get away from you pretty quickly. You can have almost ready ones one day, forget to check on them, and next thing you know you have huge green CLUBS!?! If cooking now, I'd split and scoop out a lot of the seeds... the bigger the zuke, the more (and larger) seeds.

My sister shreds and freezes them all the time. She packs into measured containers... usually zip bags and enough to make a loaf of z-bread. Says when it thaws, looks very watery?!? At first she was gonna drain, but decided that same amount of liquid was in product before it was frozen. One year, she made everybody a goodie basket with at least 6 different mini-loaves... some sweet and some savory... my preference, if I could only have one.

As for preventing freezer burn... I have to recommend vacuum sealing. I have a Foodsaver system... that I found at a yard sale for $10. Once properly sealed... things can live in freezer for a LONG time. I periodically have to reclaim my freezer when it starts creating avalanches every time I try to put one more thing in. Usually end up telling myself... hey, didn't know I had THAT much chicken?!? Vac sealed stuff, even if it ends up on the bottom, doesnt get freezer burned... and many items (not like a whole chicken or other large item0 will be thawed and ready to cook after a 20-30 minute "bath" in a large container of room temp water.

o

No idea about freezing, I need to know too. But I have several of those big ones and have been making zucchini fritters lately. We all love them.

2 cups grated zucchini (use the big hole). After grating run through a potato ricer to get out all water. This is an important step.

1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup Parmesan

Some seasoning salt. I have been using Penzy's Greek seasoning.

Mix all together, heat a film of olive oil in frying pan, spoon tablespoons into pan and shape into flat rounds. Fry on one side until until brown then flip.

These are good with a sauce of some sorts.

They should have some minced onion but I forgot it the first time I made them and haven't missed it at all.

The recipe is from a blog that calls for baking the fritters but I prefer to cook them on the stove top.

o

Big Zucchini are great for stuffing. You can cut them in weels (2-2.5" high). Put each circle on a baking sheet. Stuff with your choice of stuffing. I usually use ground beef/rice/ herbs/tomatoes. Add a little water , tomato juice or stock to the bottom of your sheet and bake until ready.
olga

o

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I'll have to think about one of those vacuum sealers. I seem to have a lot of freezer burn.

The last time I made z-bread, I made one big loaf and 3 small ones. The small ones took forever to get done and were too moist and fell in the middle. I didn't drain the zucchini per the recipe, but I wonder if I should have. The large loaf was ok. I think the zucchini must have been too heavy for the small loaves to handle.

o

This is a great way to use up large zukes that are too big for sauteeing, etc. I always have shredded zucchini in the freezer to make this cake with.

I don't have a sweet tooth, so I don't ice it. It freezes and travels well, and it's great to take to a potluck. The recipe gets requested often.

Make sure the zucchini is well-squeezed, and dry, if you use frozen.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

1/2 cup butter
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour milk (add 1 tsp vinegar)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 cup flour
4 tbsp cocoa
1/2 cup oil
2 cups grated zucchini (I always add more)

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs well. Add sour milk and vanilla.

Blend baking soda and powder with flour. Add cocoa to butter mixture, add flour.

Combine oil and zucchini; add to batter. Mix and pour into a 9x9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees 35-40 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.

o

UPDATE: I shredded the zucchini and got 10 1-cup bags! It was the mother of all zucchinis! lol

That will make a lot of z-bread this winter! Or whatever.

o

What recipe are you using, Blue? for the bread.

o

I make about 18-20 loaves of zucchini bread each summer. Within 6 months they are gone. I make regular, chocolate chip, and blueberry. My grand kids love the chocolate chip and will go through a loaf in a day. I love zucchini bread. I have shreaded and frozen in the past but find that I'm better off just making 2-4 loaves at a time and before I know it I have enough for the winter.

Karen

o

Nobody mentioned zucchini boats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here