SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Ice Cream or Gelato?

claire_de_luna
14 years ago

I've been making a lot of different recipes, and have to say...I'm becoming a huge fan of gelato. It seems the gelato recipes I've been finding have far more flavor, or maybe it's that the flavor comes out more with less fat. So far I've made lemon, strawberry cheesecake, coconut, peach, french vanilla and triple chocolate, so I think I can make a fair assessment by now! The triple chocolate included cocoa, dark chocolate, and chocolate brownies...you know, the really gooey kind. (There was serious swooning going on.) My next experiments will include Burnt Sugar, Lemon Verbena and Nutella. I can hardly wait!

I'm learning some things about making frozen desserts, like you don't really have to cook the curd very long. In fact, it can be overcooked quite easily, so that's something to watch out for. (I think it's why I didn't like my first few curd based desserts.) Also, I really like the technique of whipping the yolks in the mixer with the sugar until they turn thick, before adding the hot dairy mix to make the curd. That seems to really smooth out the texture, along with straining the mix before freezing. One other thing...Eggs matter! The best recipes IMO include them.

So what's your preference? Ice Cream or Gelato?

Comments (17)