SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chase_gw

Breadmaking Help

chase_gw
11 years ago

I made my first Pullman style loaf for the tea sandwiches and while it's very good and can be cut for the triangles and the ribbons it isn't going to do for the pinwheels. It has too much of a "crumb" to it. When I roll it it

"cracks" on the outer curve.

I need help modifying this recipe to a less crumby/dry bread to a softer bread or a recipe for a soft squish type bread. The only change I made to the recipe was using all white flour no whole wheat.

Dainty tea Sandwich bread - King Arthur

3/4 cup milk

1 cup lukewarm water

6 tablespoons butter

2 teaspoons salt

3 tablespoons sugar

1/3 cup Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk

1/3 cup potato flour or heaping 3/4 cup potato flakes

3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

1 1/2 cups King Arthur 100% Organic White Whole Wheat Flour*

2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast

*Use all-purpose flour exclusively, if you like; but believe me, your family will never notice the substitution of a cup of organic white whole wheat flour for part of the all-purpose.

Combine all of the ingredients, and mix and knead them�by hand, mixer, or bread machine�to form a smooth, supple dough. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl or dough-rising bucket, cover the bowl or bucket, and allow the dough to rise till puffy though not necessarily doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.

Lightly grease a standard (13 x 4 x 4-inch) lidded pain de mie pan. Transfer the risen dough to a lightly greased work surface, shape it into a log, and fit it into the pan. Flatten the top as much as possible. Cover the pan with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the dough to rise until it's about 1/2-inch below the lip of the pan, about 45 minutes.

Carefully slip the cover onto the pan, and let it rest an additional 15 minutes while you preheat your oven to 350�F. Bake the bread for 25 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, carefully remove the lid, and return the bread to the oven to bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until it's golden-brown on top and tests done; an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center will register 190�F. Remove the bread from the oven, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool completely. For a soft, flavorful crust, brush the loaf with melted butter while warm. Yield: 1 loaf.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!