Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baked cheese olive balls -- OK to reheat later in microwave?

Posted by jenn (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 13:48

We need to take an appetizer to a weekend gathering out of town with a group of friends. We meet poolside at the hotel on Friday and Saturday evenings to share munchies, before we go out for dinner.

I found this recipe that sounds great and I know my husband would love. They can be served at room temp or slightly warm. Baked Cheese Olives

Of course, I would bake them ahead and then keep them chilled in the cooler, then bring to room temp about an hour before we meet. But I'm wondering if they could be heated a little in the microwave just before serving -- and for how long and at what temp. Or, not reheated at all.

What would be best?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baked cheese olive balls -- OK to reheat later in microwave?

If you reheat in the micro, the olives will get very hot before the outside is warm, because of the oil content in the olives. That's not what you want. I would stick them into a 400 oven for about 5 minutes.
Linda C

o

I think they could be served at room temp just after baking but not after being chilled first. Fried foods get funky after being chilled - they need to be reheated in an oven to recrisp. If there's no oven in the hotel room and there probably isn't - I'd choose another recipe for this particular occasion.

/tricia

o

We know this recipe around here! These are delicious but I would not reheat in the microwave. Depending on how long the drive is to your location, I would make them ahead and freeze unbaked. Then bake just before you leave to drive to your destination. Wrap them in foil with some holes poked in the top to let steam out, put down in a cooler with lid on.

If it were me, I'd probably make another appetizer and save this recipe for another time when entertaining at home.

Teresa

o

Thank you, you've validated my thoughts. There won't be an oven in the hotel room and the there will be several hours of driving and other things before we meet that evening. I'll make another appetizer for this occasion.

o

Do you have an extra toaster oven? You could take that with you for reheating. I agree that MW would be a disaster - too much oil in that recipe, especially in the cheese. Cheddar will often separate when microwaved, and the balls would not be crisp.

Lars

o

I think something else would be better. There are zillions of delicious things that don't need to be heated.

o

I've made these and I'm pretty sure they would be soggy if you try to warm them in the microwave.

o

Yep, thanks.... I'll definitely try them at home instead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here