SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carol_schmertzlersiegel

Ice cream recipes, please!

The old ice cream maker I had is long gone, and I finally got a new one after hearing good things about the Cuisinart. Used a coupon from Bed, Bath and Beyond and now all I have to do is make some room in the freezer. This week will be an all POOF week for dinner :)

So what I want to know is, can you please post your favorites here so I can start making some ice cream and sorbets and whatever next weekend?

Comments (29)

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Okay here's some threads from the past...
    This should get you started Carol!

June 11
    Feb 11
    Frozen Custard
    Sorbet, Sherberts
    Sorbet Sucess

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

I'm not crazy about banana-nut ice cream but I made this for a good friend who LOVED it:

Banana Ice Cream

2/3 cup sugar
    2 large eggs
    1-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1-1/4 cups milk
    2 large very ripe bananas
    1 cup light cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons banana liqueur (optional)

For the strongest banana flavor, look for very ripe bananas with no green patches. A few brown spots are okay, since it means the sweetest banana flavor is inside. Adding the banana liqueur can also intensify the flavor.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs until thickened and pale yellow. Beat in the flour and salt. Set aside.

Bring the milk to a boil in a heavy medium saucepan. Slowly beat the hot milk into the eggs and suagr. pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. Be careful not to let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble. Remove from the heat and pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large clean bowl.

Mssh the bananas with the back of a fork until they are creamy or puree them in a food processor. Add the banana puree to the hot custard and mix well. Allow the banana custard to cool slightly. Stir in the cream, vanilla, and liqueur. (I left out the liqueur.) Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.

Stir the chilled custard, then freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions. When finished it will be soft but ready to eat. Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze at least two hours for a firmer ice cream.

Banana-Nut Ice Cream
    Add 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon to the custard along with the vanilla. Add 1/2 cup chopped pecans to the machine when the ice cream is semi-frozen. Allow the machine to mix the nuts. Proceed with the recipe as directed.

Source: "The Ultimate Ice Cream Book," Bruce Weinstein

• Related Discussions

LOOKING for: your favorite trifle or ice cream/cake recipe

Q

Comments (4)
    This is refrigerated, not frozen: PINK TORTE 1 box coconut macaroon cookies 1 pint heavy whipping cream 1 can crushed pineapple, drained 2 egg whites 1/2 cup sugar 1 cup boiling water 1 pkg Jello (any red color) Crush cookies in a processor to make fine crumbs. Pour Jello into boiling water, stir until Jello is dissolved & refrigerate until partially set. Beat egg whites w/sugar until stiff. In a separate bowl, beat whipping cream until thick. Remove Jello from refrigerator & beat until foamy. combine egg whites & whipping cream. Fold in Jello until entire mixture is smooth, no lumps. (This will be the pink mixture). Grease bottom & sides of a springform pan (or you can use a 9x13" pan.) Sprinkle 1/3 of the cookie crumbs on the bottom & sides of the pan. Pour in 1/2 of hte pink mixture. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the macaroon crumbs, then layer all of the pineapple & then the remaining pink mixture. Finish topping with the last of the cookie crums. Refrigerate overnight.~~Kitchen Miracles HEATH BAR ICE CREAM PIE (make day before) - Serves 12 1 1/4 cups chocolate wafer crumbs 1/4 cup butter, mleted 12 (about 12 oz) Heath bars, refrigerated to harden 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened Mix chocolate wafer crumbs with 1/3 cup butter, mleted. Line 9x13" pan with crumb mixture. Pat down & refrigerate until firm. crush hardened Heat bars but placing unwrapped candy in a plastic bag & hitting with rolling pin or saucepan bottom. Mix w/softened ice cream. Put in crust & freeze overnight. Serve with warmed sauce. SAUCE: 1/4 cup butter 6 oz pkg chocolate chips 1 cup confectioners' sugar 6 1/2 oz evaporated milk (like Pet milk) 1 tsp vanilla Melt butter w/chocolate chips in top of double boiler. Add confectioners' sugar & evaporated milk. Cook 8 minutes or until thickened. Ad vanilla. Serve sauce warm over pie.~~Pass the Plate CHRISTMAS TRIFLE (serve 8-10) 12 ladyfingers, sponge cake pieces or pieces of yellow cake 4 TBL rum, sherry or brandy 1/2 cup raspberry jam 1/2 cup slivered almonds 1 large pkg vanilla pudding (NOT the instant type) 1 cup heavy cream, whipped Place ladyfingers in 1 layer in a glass bowl. sparinkle with rum. Cover with a thin layer of jam & slivered almonds, reserving a few almonds for topping. Prepare pudding according to pkg directions, cool & spread in an even layer over almonds. Spread whipped cream over pudding & sprinkle reserved almonds over top. Chill a few hours. To serve, cut straight down through all layers for each serving.~~Bound to Please
    ...See More

ISO: Chocolate ice cream recipe.

Q

Comments (15)
    I made the Dave Lebovitz chocolate ice cream last night. It was delicious!! Very rich. But very easy to make. Thanks for posting that Tracey! By the way I used TJ's pound plus dark chocolate in the recipe. Hard to measure exactly since they are not in one ounce squares. So since the recipe called for four ounces, and the bar is 17.6 ounces, I just used 1/4 of the bar. Yes, just a bit MORE than the four ounces called for but I prefer to err on the side of excess when it comes to chocolate. Yummy!!!
    ...See More

Want to try a chocolate cake ice cream roll. Recipe please.

Q

Comments (7)
    Some years ago I had to bake six chocolate jelly rolls for Christmas logs. Only owned one jelly roll pan so purchased the two in one package of aluminum ones at the grocery store to speed up the cooking process. Much to my surprise I discovered the cake cooked much better in these cheap aluminum pans than in my heavy, expensive one. Really made a difference. That's all I use now for jelly rolls. Grease the pan, cover bottom with wax paper and butter it. After baking turn the hot cake out on a bath towel (this gives you a thicker roll) covered with powdered sugar. Quickly remove wax paper, dust roll with more powdered sugar and roll. I allow mine to cool rolled in the towel and then continue the recipe. These inexpensive pans are what I use also when baking foccasia. Works well.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Tahitian Treat Ice Cream

Q

Comments (4)
    There's a recipe on the last post at the forum below. 3 Liters of Tahitian Treat Soda (hard to find unless you are in the south. If you can't find it, sub. for Sunkist or Welch's Strawberry or Fruit Punch) 1 - can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk Open Soda a few hours ahead of preparation to let it ''flatten'' out, this will help you get all 3 liters in without it fizzing over. Put Sweetened Condensed Milk in ice cream freezer first, then add all three liters of soda (take your time). Follow your normal procedure for adding ice and rock salt, let run about 45 minutes in the ice cream maker. ---------- Here is a link that might be useful: Tahitian Treat ice cream
    ...See More
  • riverrat1
    16 years ago

I've been making this alot lately. I'm trying to watch the girlie figure ;-)

Rich Chocolate-Orange Sorbet
    ****Good if you are watching your fat intake***

3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
    1 1/2 cups water
    2 oz. European bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    2/3 cup fresh orange juice
    2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    1 tablespoon grated orange zest

In a medium sized, heavy saucepan, combine the sugar and cocoa. Gradually whisk in the water. Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil, whisking constantly, about 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to low. Add the chocolate, orange juice, corn syrup and orange zest and stir just until cold, about one hour.

Transfer the sorbet mixture to an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions,

Transfer the sorbet to a container, cover and freeze overnight to allow the flavors to develop, or for up to 3 days.

Makes about 2 1/4 cups-serves 3 or 4

Williams Sonoma Kitchen Library

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Terri, for the links! Lots of copying and pasting!

Eileen, thanks, looks great,and I love banana flavor, especially with nuts!

Hopefully I'll get to make ice cream by next weekend, after the freezer clean out! In a few weeks, we'll be making ice cream in a couple of "play n freeze" ice cream balls at camp. We'll see how that works out!

Original Author
    16 years ago

Looks good, Karen! Chocolate and Orange!

• netla
    16 years ago

This is the one my mother uses:

Vanilla ice-cream

1/2 litre heavy cream or whipping cream
    5 egg yolks (use the whites to make meringue drops - recipe below)
    75 g sugar
    vanilla essence to taste

Mix egg yolks, sugar and vanilla essence* and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Whip the cream until it is quite stiff and fold into yolk/sugar mixture. Pour into a mould and freeze, or use an ice-cream maker. Use the egg whites to make meringue tops to serve with the ice-cream.

*Note on vanilla use: A little goes a long way. The vanilla taste is stronger once the custard has been frozen. You can also use vanilla sugar or a vanilla bean (soak it in the milk).

Variations: Experiment with different flavourings and extras: chocolate chips, small pieces of preserved fruit, liqueurs, flavour essences.

Goes well with Crème de Menthe and Mint Chocolate liqueurs, chocolate sauce, Mars sauce (melt a large Mars bar in cream and mix well), hot fudge, hot caramel sauce, meringue drops, preserved fruit in syrup or fresh fruit, especially strawberries.

Meringue Drops

5 egg whites
    1 tsp cream of tartar (may be left out)
    1 2/3 cup sugar, white or confectioners'
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    a dash of salt

Whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they form stiff peaks. Add the sugar bit by bit, whipping well in-between. Whip until the dough is stiff and mix in vanilla or other flavouring (sherry or rum is also good). Oil and flour a baking sheet, or simply line one with baking paper. Put some of the dough into a pastry bag with a big tip, and squeeze out some even sized blobs onto the baking sheet/paper. The dough will not rise noticeably, so make them the size you want the cookies to be. Bake in a warm oven (150° C) until they are dry and have started to take on a slight golden colour (if you test one for doneness, it does not matter if they are sligthy chewy right at the center). Remove immediately from the baking sheet and allow to cool before storing in a cookie tin.

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

I'd like to hear how you like the Cuisinart Carol. Lee's post a few weeks ago got me going on buying an ice cream maker. I'm trying to decide between the Cuisinart or the KA that I can use on my mixer. I'm thinking the Cuisinart might not be as noisy as the mixer running for 20 - 25 minutes. I need to find one of those BB&B coupons!!

Thanks for the links and recipes too everyone.

David

Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll keep you posted, David. I used to have a Salton ice cream maker but it didn't freeze the ice cream very well. We lost the disk. Everyone who posted seemed to like the Cuisinart very much. I got mine at BB & B with a coupon. I have a bunch of BB & B coupons for 20% off a single item. If you want them let me know, I'll mail it out to you!

Recipes look great, Netla, thanks! Copied to my ice cream files!

• compumom
    16 years ago

David, send me your address! I can share a coupon.

• brenda55
    16 years ago

David, you might check Williams-Sonoma online as they were running a good sale recently with the bonus of an extra freezer container (or whatever they are called!).

Copying and pasting!

Thanks.

Brenda

• tkln
    16 years ago

I bought the Cuisinart a few weeks ago and have made three batches so far - LOVE IT! Of course, they also carry it at Costco for, hm, I think it was $50? I paid $70. :-(

If you are serious about ice cream, I HIGHLY recommend David Lebovitz's book, The Perfect Scoop. It's got some incredible recipes, including sorbets, yogurts, mix-ins, etc. It was well worth the money. My fianchas put post-it notes throughout...

I've made peanut butter ice cream with cookie dough, peanut butter ice cream with mixed nut brittle, and tiramisou...I can post recipes tonight...

Lucy

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Yes Lucy PLEASE!
    Karen..yummm! I've got to try that! Might save it for when my mother comes in Oct..she LOVES chocolate and orange together..but then I might have to make it before hand too...

I was watching Food Network this am..And Al Roker was visiting a Gelato place in FL...OMG..I wanna make Gelato now! Never had it..but man did that stuff look deVINE!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

spaghetti Icecream??? LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: TONS of RECIPES!

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

Thanks for the coupon offers Carol and Ellen!! I checked out Williams Sonoma, thanks to Brenda's info. I'm thinking that's the best deal with the extra bowl included in the deal....and that is one of the few we have in Tulsa! I'll be heading that way, traffic and all one day this week over lunch hour. Perfect timing, after a wet and cooler than normal summer we will be getting close to the 100 degree mark by weeks end. You scream, I'll scream, lets all scream for ice cream!!

David

• compumom
    16 years ago

Hey David, it's great to have two bowls. Mine actually came from Wms Sonoma and I got the two bowl deal. It doesn't make all that much, so for your large parties, you might want more than one!

• tkln
    16 years ago

Teri - I was swamped last night, but I will DEFINITELY post the recipes tonight - I promise!! I am even sending myself an email so I won't forget. :-)

I might have to make another batch while I type, as we are all out. :-)

Lucy

• compumom
    16 years ago

Here's a few that came from Eating Well.com that appeared in my inbox today. I haven't tried any of them, although they seem healthier than the norm.

Honey-Crunch Ice Cream

Makes 6 servings, about 1/2 cup each
    Ingredients

Honey crunch
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 teaspoon butter, melted
    1 teaspoon low-fat milk
    1 teaspoon light brown sugar
    ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
    ¼ cup Grape-Nuts cereal

Ice cream
    1 ½ cups whole milk
    1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    eating well Honey-Crunch Ice Cream Ingredients Cont.

eating well Honey-Crunch Ice Cream Instructions

1. To make honey crunch: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a small baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
    2. Mix honey, butter, milk, brown sugar and vanilla in a small bowl until blended. With a fork, stir in Grape-Nuts until well coated. Spread in a thin layer in the prepared baking pan. Bake, stirring once or twice, for 5 minutes, or until the cereal has darkened and bubbling has subsided. Spread on a plate and let cool completely. Break up any large clumps and set aside.
    3. To make ice cream: Mix milk, condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl until blended. Refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours or overnight.
    4. Stir lemon juice and salt into the chilled ice cream mixture. Freeze in an ice-cream maker, following the manufacturer's directions. Halfway through freezing, when ice cream begins to thicken, sprinkle in the honey crunch and continue freezing. If necessary, let the ice cream harden in the freezer for 30 minutes before serving.
    eating well Honey-Crunch Ice Cream Instructions Cont.

eating well Honey-Crunch Ice Cream Tips

Store the honey crunch (Steps 1-2) in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Store the ice cream (Steps 3-4) in a resealable plastic container in the freezer for up to 4 days.

Use Grape-Nuts to add low-fat crunch to other dessert recipes and toppings.
    eating well Honey-Crunch Ice Cream Tips Cont.

eating well Honey-Crunch Ice Cream Nutrition Information

Per serving: 268 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrate; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 219 mg sodium; 737 mg potassium.

3 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings

eating well Cinnamon Ice Cream Makes 6 servings, about 1/2 cup each Ingredients 3 cups low\-fat milk 2 tablespoons light brown sugar 6 cinnamon sticks, broken into small pieces 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise 2 large egg yolks ¼ cup light corn syrup 2 tablespoons cornstarch ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon 2 cups marshmallow creme, such as Fluff eating well Cinnamon Ice Cream Ingredients Cont. eating well Cinnamon Ice Cream Instructions 1\. Combine milk, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean in a large heavy saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar, until steaming. Remove from the heat, cover the pan and let steep for 30 minutes. Strain, discarding the cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean halves. (Scrape the tiny seeds inside the vanilla bean into the milk, if desired.) 2\. Whisk together egg yolks, corn syrup, cornstarch and ground cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Gradually add the milk, whisking to combine, and return to the saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 3 minutes. (Because the custard is thickened with cornstarch, it will not curdle when it boils.) 3\. Transfer the custard to a bowl and place a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap directly over the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Cover and refrigerate until no longer warm. Add marshmallow creme and mix with a whisk until as smooth as possible. (The mixture will be slightly lumpy, but will smooth out during stir\-freezing.) Return to the refrigerator until completely chilled. 4\. Pour the custard mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturers directions. If necessary, place the ice cream in the freezer to firm up before serving in chilled dessert dishes. eating well Cinnamon Ice Cream Instructions Cont. eating well Cinnamon Ice Cream Tips Use within hours of freezing, if possible, or store in the freezer for up to 4 days. If the ice cream becomes very hard in the freezer, let it soften for 20 minutes before scooping. eating well Cinnamon Ice Cream Tips Cont. eating well Cinnamon Ice Cream Nutrition Information Per serving: 377 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 83 g carbohydrate; 6 g protein; 0 g fiber; 126 mg sodium; 194 mg potassium. Nutrition bonus: Calcium (16% daily value). 5 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chocolate Malt Ice Cream Makes 16 servings, 1/4 cup each (1 quart) Ingredients 2 ½ cups skim milk 2/3 cup sugar ½ cup nonfat dry milk ½ cup malted\-milk powder 3 ½ ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped ¾ cup pasteurized liquid egg whites (see Note) 1 tablespoon vanilla extract ¼ teaspoon salt eating well Chocolate Malt Ice Cream Ingredients Cont. eating well Chocolate Malt Ice Cream Instructions 1\. Blend milk, sugar, dry milk, malted\-milk powder and chocolate in a blender until fairly smooth. Pour into a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking almost constantly. Remove from the heat. 2\. Pour egg whites into a large bowl and whisk in the milk mixture in a slow, steady stream until smooth. Whisk in vanilla and salt. Refrigerate until cool, at least 3 hours or overnight. 3\. Freeze the ice cream mixture in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer's directions. If using the ice cream for sandwiches, freeze until it's firm enough to hold a scoop shape. eating well Chocolate Malt Ice Cream Instructions Cont. eating well Chocolate Malt Ice Cream Tips Freeze in a sealable plastic container for up to 1 month. Ingredient Note: Pasteurized liquid "egg products" are used in recipes calling for eggs that are uncooked. Pasteurization kills any harmful bacteria that may exist in uncooked eggs. Look for them in the dairy case, near the eggs or in the freezer. eating well Chocolate Malt Ice Cream Tips Cont. eating well Chocolate Malt Ice Cream Nutrition Information Per serving: 134 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrate; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium. 1 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings Exchanges: 1/2 fat free milk, 1 other carbohydrate ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Lemon Ice Cream Makes 6 servings, about 3/4 cup each Ingredients 1 14\-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk 2 cups low\-fat milk 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest 2/3 cup lemon juice 1/8 teaspoon salt eating well Lemon Ice Cream Ingredients Cont. eating well Lemon Ice Cream Instructions Whisk together sweetened condensed milk, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt in a mixing bowl. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturers directions. (Alternatively, freeze the mixture in a shallow pan until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth.) eating well Lemon Ice Cream Instructions Cont. eating well Lemon Ice Cream Nutrition Information Per serving: 228 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrate; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 152 mg sodium; 784 mg potassium. Nutrition bonus: Calcium (27% daily value), Vitamin C (23 dv), Potassium (22% dv). 3 Carbohydrate Servings
  • loagiehoagie
    16 years ago

Okay, you guys made me do it. I went to Blood Bath and Beyond(loved that Simpson episode where Homer bought a handgun there!), uh..I mean..Bed Bath and Beyond..and got the 2 quart Cuisinart stainless steel model. Retail 99.00, they had it for 79.00 and with 20 percent off and tax 67.00. It only came with the one bowl, but I think I can deal with that for now. My birthday is in 3 weeks, so I can always ask for an extra bowl for b-day!

My bowl is in the deep-freeze. Can't wait to try it tomorrow...it's 96 degrees today and almost as hot for the next week or so! Gotta love summer!

Duane

• suellen45
    16 years ago

I have found a frozen custard I love and made it enough to require a diet, lol.

Frozen Custard is made with eggs or egg yokes and cream and ice cream is made with just cream (no eggs).

Ice Cream recipe from Alton Brown which I have used numerous times and found it to be the best. This can be used as a base for adding most anything like peaches, etc.

SERIOUS VANILLA ICE CREAM (yield one quart)
    2C half & half
    1C whipping cream
    1C (less 3Tablespoons) sugar
    3T peach preserves (not jelly)
    1T vanilla
    pinch salt

NB: if peach preserves in eliminated use full cup sugar.
    That little bit of preserves enhanses it a lot *wink*

Combine all ingredients over medium heat, stir and heat to 170--175 degrees on candy thermometer; you will see small bubbles starting around the edge of pan, (do not boil).
    Cool, place plastic wrap inside pan on top of mixture and refrigerate overnight to mellow flavors. Freeze in ice cream freezer. Cover tightly and freeze, in freezer at least four hours.

(Alton used a combination of half & half and whipping cream in an attempt to create "coffee cream" which he said was no longer available. My grocer must not have gotten the word as he keeps Coffee Cream on his shelf)

VANILLA CUSTARD (1 1/2 Quarts)

3 3/4C scant coffee cream
    1C sugar
    6 egg yokes
    1 Table sp. vanilla
    pinch salt

TEMPER: Heat the cream, sugar, and salt until it is disolved and near boiling point, do not boil. In a separate bowl wisk egg yokes. Wisking constantly, slowly add one cup of hot mixture into the yokes. Off heat, wisking constantly, slowly add yoke mixture into the hot mixture. Return to heat, cook until mixture thickens and will coat the back of a spoon (about eight minutes) do not boil. Let cool, stir in vanilla, place plastic wrap down, into the pan on top of the mixture and refrigerate overnight. Freeze in ice cream freezer. Cover tightly and freeze in freezer for at least four hours.

If coffee cream is not available; use 1 1/4C half and half and 2 1/2C whipping cream...

Sue Ellen

• tkln
    16 years ago

Okay, here are a couple from "The Perfect Scoop"

PEANUT BUTTER ICE CREAM

1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 2/3 cups half and half
    Pinch of sale
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Process all ingredients in a blender or food processor til smooth. Chill thoroughly in the fridge, then freeze in ice cream maker.

NOTE: I have made this with low fat half and half and a combo of low fat and non fat, and have been happy with the results, but I'm also not a fan of very thick ice cream.

TIRAMISU ICE CREAM

2 cups mascarpone
    1 cup half and half
    2/3 cup sugar
    Pinch of salt
    1/4 cup coffee flavored liquor, such as Kahlua
    3 tb dark rum or brandy

Puree all ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth. Chill thoroughly in the fridge then freeze in your ice cream maker.

This was good, but STRONG!

• compumom
    16 years ago

Here's an interesting one that I haven't yet tried, but we almost finished up the chocolate sorbet tonight, so I think this one might be up very soon!
    I found the main ingredient up in the Sonoma area (wine country) in Northern CA. This brand has a sweet, lovely taste.
    If you can't find it in your town, they do ship! They're a small family company too.

Verjus Mint Sorbet

Verjus is the tart, unfermented juice of unripe wine grapes. Verjus (pronounced Vair-Zhoo) literally means "green juice." It is an elegant and delicate alternative to both vinegar and lemon juice in cook. Because this sorbet is made from verjus, it goes well with wine.
    Check out Ice Cream, Sorbet, Granita, & Gelato Recipes for more recipe ideas.
    1 1/2 cups Verjus*
    2 tablespoons vodka
    * Verjus is found in specialty or wine stores. To learn more about Verjus, check out my web page HERE.
    In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, water, and mint leaves. Stir until mixture comes to a boil and sugar is dissolved; reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; place a fine strainer over a large bowl and pour syrup mixture through (straining out the mint leaves).
    Add verjus and vodka to the strained syrup mixture; stir until thoroughly blended. Let mixture cool to room temperature.
    NOTE: The vodka (or any other type of alcohol) is the secret to a soft sorbet. Alcohol itself does not freeze and adding a little bit keeps the sorbet from doing the same. Vodka is excellent to use because it doesn't affect the taste.
    Ice Cream Maker - Transfer mixture to ice cream maker, process according to manufacturer's instructions.
    Freezer Method - Pour into container, cover, and place mixture in the freezer. When it is semi-solid, mash it up with a fork and refreeze again. When frozen, place in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Cover and refreeze until serving time.
    NOTE: Can be prepared 3 days in advance. Cover and keep frozen.
    Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Verjus choice

Original Author
    16 years ago

I finally have room in the freezer! The bowl is in!

Thanks for the recipes!

Duane, which are you making first?

I only have one bowl and I'm going for the chocolate, but I think I'd really like it with the peanut butter! I think I need more bowls and I haven't even started yet!

Ellen, that verjus sounds interesting!

• lackboys3
    16 years ago

Hi Carol,

With daily highs hovering in the mid 90's here, some homemade ice cream sounds great! Here's a family favorite:

Cinnamon-Vanilla Ice Cream

3 C whipping Cream
    1 1/2 C whole milk
    2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
    1 C plus 2 T sugar
    6 large egg yolks
    2 1/2 t ground cinnamon

Combine cream and milk in heavy large saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla beans; add beans. Bring just to simmer. Whisk sugar and egg yolks in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture. Return mixture to same saucepan. Stir over medium low het until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 6 minutes (do not boil). Strain into large bowl. Whisk in ground cinnamon. Chill until cold, about 3 hours.

Transfer custard to ice cream maker and process according to instructions. Keep ice cream in covered container and freeze until firm as desired.

Carol, I also have the Cuisinart Ice Cream maker and we enjoy using it. Enjoy your ice cream:-)
    DONNA

• loagiehoagie
    16 years ago

I just found they don't make extra bowls for the 2 quart. Oh well, I will have to deal with that. I do have a deep freezer which should expedite the process a little bit.

My first batch is going to be the vanilla custard. I made the mixture last night, simmered till the right consistency and chilled overnight. Can't wait to try it later. Rich and decadent. Figured nothing 'low fat' for my first batch! And I got some Sanders hot fudge topping and some sugar cones! Don't know which version I want first....sundae or cone!

Duane

• jimisham
    16 years ago

Cinnamon Imperials Ice Cream

1/2 cup Cinnamon Imperials
    l quart Half and Half
    1 cup of sugar

Add Cinnamon Imperials to Half and Half.
    Put in refrigerator until Imperials are dissolved.
    Add 1 cup sugar.
    Pour in ice cream machine and freeze.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Donna, it's been pretty hot here too, way too hot. Perfect ice cream weather! thanks for the cinnamon ice cream recipe. I will definitely try it, my favorite Ben & Jerry's is a cinnamon ice cream with oatmeal cookie chunks. I could use your recipe and throw in some cookies!

Duane, just put some fudge into the cone, put a little marshmallow on the bottom so it doesn't leak and you can have a sundae cone!

jimisham, the red hot ice cream sounds good! I bet the color is one my kids would like!

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

Oh man....all of these recipes to try. I'm heading to WS tomorrow to buy mine and having lunch with a friend that works in Midtown. Duane, I saw that model too and REALLY like the looks of it, love SS, but I'm going with the extra bowl deal at WS. I'll probably go with vanilla first and move on from there.

David

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Thank you Lucy!!!! I forgot all about them..came to find a recipe to make ice cream for the boys tomorrow..

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Well, this is sure timely. My girls just went together and bought me a 1 quart Cuisinart ice cream maker for Christmas.

Yeah, I know it isn't Christmas yet, which did not stop me from making a batch of chocolate with peanut butter cups yesterday while I made cookies with Makayla and a batch of strawberry frozen yogurt today, sugarfree for Dad and made with my own homemade yogurt. Mmmm.

Annie

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH