Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your favorite cucumber salad recipes, please....

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 13:46

It's cucumber season! My neighbor just gifted me with three HUGE cucumbers.

Cucumber salad is in order, and tho I have made the traditional vinegar recipe and another with sour cream, I am wondering if any of you have a favorite recipe that may be a little bit special, or not quite so ordinary?

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your favorite cucumber salad recipes, please....

How about an Asian salad? There are plenty of recipes online. Here's one that sounds interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian Cucumber Salad

o

I have the dehydrator filled with cucumber slices today. We use dehydrated cucumbers instead of croutons on the top of salads; and if the slices are large enough we use them with dips or bean spreads, or just for snacking.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

QUINOA TABOULI - I made a batch of quinoa the other day and used part of it to make Quinoa Tabouli. I added lots of cucumber, tomato, fresh parsley, fresh chives (snipped), chopped mint, grated carrot (optional) and dressed with equal parts MCT oil (or olive oil) and lemon juice with a pinch of salt (to taste) and fresh ground black pepper (optional). You can find a plethora of recipes on-line.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CUCUMBER DRESSING
1 container (8-oz.) plain yogurt (I use homemade kefir)
1/2 c. chopped cucumber
1 t. finely chopped onion (or fresh chives)
1 t. prepared horseradish
1/4 t. salt

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate any remaining dressing. (Makes 1-1/4 c.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CUCUMBER SALSA
(source: Yoplait Yogurt)

1 c. low-fat sour cream
1 c. Yoplait Fat Free plain yogurt
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. salt
2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and coarsely shredded

Mix all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until chilled. Serve with tortilla chips or raw vegetables. Cover and refrigerate any remaining salsa. (Makes 3-cups)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CUCUMBER CANOES
(This was my mother's "fancy" summer lunch salad. She made the filling with macaroni salad with cubed SPAM.)

Cut 5-6" cucumbers in half lengthwise. Cut a flat base slice out of the bottom so it sits level and doesn't roll over. Scoop out pulp. Fill with a meat, bean, or cheese-filled mixture or a vegetable or pasta salad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FETA CUCUMBER SALAD

2 medium cucumbers
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. chopped green onions (or fresh chives)
1 c. feta or blue cheese, crumbled (can easily use less)
2 T. lemon juice
1 T. olive or vegetable oil (I use MCT oil)
1/8 to 1/4 t. coarsely ground pepper

Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, remove seeds and discard. Cut cucumbers into 1/2-inch cubes; place in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Stir in onions (or chives). Combine cheese, lemon juice, oil and pepper; add to cucumber mixture and stir gently. Yield: 4-5 servings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Grainlady

o

Another favorite:

Hillbilly Recipes German Cucumber Salad

Ingredients

1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1 cucumber
1 medium to large tomato
2 slices onion (slice like you would for onion rings)
2 to 4 tsp lemon juice
1/2 to 3/4 tsp dill
Pinch of salt

Instructions

Peel and slice your cucumber, slice your tomato, and slice your onion. I like to slice, then quarter the onion because its easier to eat.

In a bowl, combine dill and salt.

Add sour cream or yogurt and lemon juice to taste. Mix well.

Add onion, cucumber, and tomato to the mixture and stir until the veggies are coated with the dressing.

o

I really like Sunomono - Japanese cucumber salad

This one by Bobby Flay is like the one I make

If I'm in a hurry, I heat up the liquid ingredients and pour it over the cukes in a bag, then put the whole thing in a bowl of ice water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

Mine isn't really a recipe, because none of mine are, but a favorite of mine is:
lots of red wine vinegar
a little EVOO (to taste, but sort of the opposite proportions to vinaigrette)
lots of fresh chopped dill (or thyme for a different kind of flavor)
S&P
finely chopped garlic optional.

Leave the skins on if they're thin, or score them if they're thick, add a little vinegar (it can be white or cider, rather than the good stuff) to help them weep for an hour or two (depends on your level of patience), then pour off, and add dressing. I just put the ingredients right in by eye, but it would help to do the dressing in a bowl to make sure it's the flavor balance you want. The herb will get more intense, so don't over do it. If you use a lidded bowl, you can cover and shake, or else stir so you spread apart the clinging slices without breaking them. Let sit for at least an hour before serving, best if made ahead and left in the fridge for 8-30 hrs.

o

GRainlady, my girls used to like "Tuna Boats", kind of like your Canoes, but filled with tuna salad. No pasta or Spam, thankfully.

I have this one in my "to try" file, for when I have cucumbers ready, that should be maybe next week. It might be a bit spicy for me, but I think Elery will love it.

Thai Cucumber Salad

Makes 4 cups
3 large cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
1.Toss the cucumbers with the salt in a colander, and leave in the sink to drain for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water, then drain and pat dry with paper towels.
2.Whisk together the sugar and vinegar in a mixing bowl until the sugar has dissolved. Add the cucumbers, jalapeno peppers, and cilantro; toss to combine. Sprinkle chopped peanuts on top before serving.

Annie

o

This reminded me of a favorite from Cooking Light a few years ago. Gotta make it again. Reminds me of seaweed salad a bit. I sometimes cut long strands rather than slices - in order to remind me more of seaweed salad.

Silky Sesame Cucumbers

Slice an English cucumber very thinly and toss with a teaspoon of kosher salt. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain; firmly squeeze dry, and place in a bowl. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar and 3/4 tsp dark sesame oil; toss well. Stir in 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds.

o

A sauce to go with fresh salmon. A Scottish recipe from my old MIL.
Peel, deseed a cuke. Liquidise half and chop the other half into small dice.
Cook the dice in a knob of butter for 2 or 3 minutes. Stir in a little flour, cook a little, then add some dry white wine, the liquidised cuke and let simmer. Add some creme fraiche. delicous with salmon with peas and new potatoes.

o

Here's a fave I make often:

6 or 7 cucumbers (I usually peel them in "stripes" first, then slice them)
about 1/4 Cup of thinly sliced purple onions
1 cup white vinegar
1 cups white sugar
2 T dried dill, or to taste

Slice cucumbers--I make them kinda thick rather than super thin or thin.
Sprinkle with 2 T salt and let it set for an hour.
Drain off the liquids that come out of the cukes.
Rinse well with water.
Drain again.

Put cukes in bowl.

In a different bowl, add 1 C white vinegar and 1 C sugar and stir until the sugar is kinda dissolved (sometimes, I heat up the vinegar a little bit to help this along, then I let it come to room temp before pouring it over the cucumbers).

Pour vinegar-sugar mix over the cucumbers.

Let set for about 20 minutes, mixing a couple of times.
DRAIN again.

Add slices of purple onions.
Add dried dill. Mix again.(I usually drain it again at this point)
Chill for a couple of hours, or chill overnight.

o

I love cucumber, feta and watermelon salad with a simple vinaigrette

Also had a cucumber, cherry tomato (halved) and chickpea salad last week...yummers! Again with a simple vinaigrette

o

And of course there's plain Israeli salad: Medium dice equal quantities of tomato and cucumber (inc. juice and seeds), and similar size onion to taste. Optionally add oil and vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Otherwise, just let it sit in it's own juices for awhile and it dresses itself. Amazingly simple and yummy.

You can also vary the flavorings on any of the standard recipes. Instead of dill or other fresh herb, whether in a yoghurt or vinegar dressing, try garlic and sumac, for instance.

o

Lots of great options here, thanks!

I'll be trying several of them over the next few weeks as the cukes start getting unloaded by the bagful at work and in the neighborhood! LOL

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here