Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken Wing Tips

Posted by wannadanc (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 08 at 13:46

You know what I mean - the pointy end, last joint of the chicken wing .........OK?

Well, I am wondering if ANYONE has a recipe for cooking those? I use the other two sections - but on those rare occasions where I am the one doing all the clipping/cutting - I end up w/ quite a few .....and I just would like to know if EVERYONE throws those away??? I hate to do that and if no one comes up w/ their tried/true suggestions - I just may have to come up w/ some self-styled treat. Obviously, I could just "include" them with the other parts - I know that; but I am looking for something that excludes the "better" cuts.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken Wing Tips

Use them, along with other trimmed off chicken bits, to make stock. If you don't have enough at one time, save them in the freezer until you have enough.

Jim

o

I agree with Jim. I keep all the wing tips, the back portions, bones I remove from the breast portions and freeze them in a ziplock bag. When I get enough I make stock, or chicken noodle soup.

Annie

o

That works - thanks! I have no other left over pieces - as I never buy whole chickens any more - only breasts and wings.

o

If you like crunchy stuff:
Toss in a little olive oil; season with pepper, garlic salt and bake in 350 degree oven until golden brown and crispy.
Dip in Ranch Dressing or BBQ sauce.
Cheap, simple "snack attack" fix.
Cream

o

I generally save them for the next time I make stock. They have quite a bit of cartilage and the bones are thin, so a good sized bag of them adds richness to a pot of stock, particularly if it's one of my chicken bone stocks made from the carcasses of roasted chickens instead of one made from fresh chicken pieces.

o

Cream please - ooooooooo la la- now you are speaking my language - that is exactly the kind of answer I was seeking!!!!! I was hoping for something "different" - even though the stock ideas are good and reasonable, for this retired single woman the snack idea works best ......

THANK you!!!!!

o

I have to tell you how MUCH I enjoyed my "wing tips" today. Taking inspiration from Cream-please, I mixed up olive oil, fajita seasoning (a little) and some garlic parmesan in a plastic bag and added the wing tips. About 30 minutes at 350 degrees and I had a yummy treat .......oh yeah, I used the ranch dressing. I will no longer fuss about those little things, knowing that I have a way to fix them that I enjoy. Remember - I am a solo act, here! LOL

o

Hi guys!!
Try this for something a little oriental. I believe it's a crying shame to waste such a great part of the chook.

24 chicken wing tips
4 tablespoons honey
peanut oil
2 coriander root bunches (I just use the base of the bunch with about 4cm of stem and tied together with twine)
ginger root 4cm sliced thick
4 star anise
1 litre water.

Mix tips in honey and deep fry until golden brown.
Remove from oil and drain on paper towel.
Boil water with coriander roots, star anise and ginger
and throw in the tips.
Simmer for 30 minutes and remove the tips.
Cook tips in a moderate oven for 40 minutes until crisp.

This will be a hit at your next nibbly session!!!
Cheers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here