Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning help

Posted by momofmatt (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 13:33

The CUKES and beets have taken over my world! Today I planned to can pickles and pickled beets when I pulled out my canner and reread the instructions it said not to use on a glass top stove. Off to the stove site which says to ONLY use a flat bottomed canner. Can I use jar rings to cover bottom of a stock pot to make a rack. The canner rack is about 1/2 inch too wide to work, and this is the only idea I have been able yo come with.
I like the fairly new range a little less.LOL
Thanks so much for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning help

Jar rings to keep the jars off the bottom of the pot....and a pot large enough to cover the jars by....think it's 2 inches.

o

Have no real knowledge of glass top stoves. But canning cukes & beets (pickled) is one of the easier things to do. Saw somewhere recently where someone made a LONG "snake" of scrunched up foil and fashioned a "rack" to set jars on.

o

Thanks so much to both of you.
I haven't canned in years and the decided that I was making rocket science of the jar ring rack thing. The first batch of b and b pickles are finished and it worked a charm. Never Would have thought of the foil.....
From what I have read today you MUST use a flat bottom canner on any electric stove.

o

Well, I'm too late to help but I've seen canning rings wired together with twist ties as a rack, so I know it works. I canned for years with a dish towel in the bottom of a stock pot in lieu of a real canner or rack.

Happy Canning!

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here