SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19982892

Summer Virtual Dinner - Salads

User
16 years ago

Should be a ton of great salad recipes out there! Please post them here.

Comments (16)

• booberry85
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Panzanella

I make this to use up cherry tomatoes (I don't know how many cherry tomatoes I use). This is a combo of recipes from the Food Network.

Ingredients

Salad
    1 1⁄2 pounds ripe tomatoes (about 3)
    1 shallot, minced
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 cup fresh basil leaves
    Panzanella croutons
    Freshly ground black pepper

Panzanella Croutons
    cup unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    6 cups cubed day-old bread (½-inch cubes)
    Salt and ground black pepper to taste
    6 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan

Core the tomatoes and, if large, cut them into chunks; if small, halve or quarter them (I slice the cherry tomatoes in half). Toss them gently with the shallot, garlic, oil, vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt, and pepper. Set aside until the tomatoes are very juicy, about 10 minutes. Add croutons and give a give toss. Tear the basil over the salad and toss gently. (The bread salad can be served now or set aside at room temperature for a couple of hours.)

For the croutons, preheat oven to 375 degrees F and preheat a cookie sheet in it.
    Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and cook until it foams. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the bread cubes and toss to coat with the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the bread to a baking sheet. Immediately sprinkle with the cheese and toss again while warm to melt the cheese.
    Bake, stirring once or twice, until the croutons are crisp and lightly colored on the outside but still soft within, about 8 or 9 minutes. Let cool. Store in an airtight container.

Spinach Salad with Red Potatoes

This recipe comes from Taste of Home 2000 Annual recipes, editors Julie Schnittka and Jean Steiner. This serves 8.

Ingredients

1 package (10 oz) fresh spinach, torn
    3 small red potatoes, cooked and diced
    2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
    ½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
    1 tablespoon butter
    ¼ cup chopped red onion
    ½ teaspoon cornstarch
    ¼ cup apple juice
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    2 teaspoons sugar
    Ground black pepper to taste.

In a large bowl, combine spinach, potatoes, eggs and mushrooms. In a skillet, melt butter and sauté onion until tender. In a small pan combine cornstarch, apple juice, vinegar sugar and pepper until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Pour over vegetables. Add bacon. Serve immediately.

Tomato Cucumber Salad

This oneÂs a favorite made by a local restaurant called Dinosaur BBQ. The recipe comes from their cookbook. Feeds 6

Ingredients

Salad
    1 ½ lb tomatoes
    Pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper
    Pinch of sugar
    2 medium cucumbers
    ½ large red onion
    30 small fresh basil leaves

Dressing
    ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
    ¼ cup red wine vinegar
    Black pepper
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon dried oregano

Core the tomatoes and cut lengthwise into 6-8 wedges. Cut each wedge in half crosswise. Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and wake them up with a big pinch of salt, pepper and sugar. Cut the ends off the cucumbers and use a vegetable peeler to make long stripes in the skin. Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise and then crosswise into ¼ inch slices. Add to the tomatoes. Peel the onion and cut lengthwise into slivers. Dump the onions in with the tomatoes and cucumbers and give everything a good toss.

Clean and dry the basil leaves. Stack them on top of one another and roll lengthwise into a tight cigar. Cut crosswise into thin strips and stir into salad.

Throw together a batch of dressing. Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour over tomatoes and cucumbers. Marinate the salad at room temperature for several hours. Refrigerate any leftovers.

• arabellamiller
    16 years ago

This one's always a hit with my friends.

Strawberry Mango Green Salad

Dressing
    1/2 cup sugar
    3/4 cup veg oil
    1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp salt

Put everything in a plastic bown with a tight fitting lid and shake it up until the sugar dissolves.

For the salad use:

8 cups mixed greens (use the spring mix or mesclun mix, something with strong flavors)
    2 cups craisins
    1 package of strawberries, hulled and quartered
    1 mango, cubed (don't use frozen it's too watery, just leave it out if you can't find a ripe one)
    1/2 cup chopped red onion
    1 cup sliverd almonds

• Related Discussions

Virtual Dinner pics

Q

Comments (12)
    Kathleen, once again, you amazed me! Not only by the quality of your table setting, not only by the menu (oh! it's only 9 AM here and I'm hungry now! BTW, I will go to the supermarket to buy some chicken stuffed with some cheese: I'm the worst cooker you'll ever meet) but also by the fact that, when I see your pics, I think "that's not for me: it's too expensive to have such beautiful table items" and, once I read the prices you mention, I realize that it's so affordable that, even I could have such a beautiful setting! I'd like to use one or two of your pics for my introduction page to the Valentine's Recipes of my website. Do you agree?
    ...See More

Virtual Dinner - The Dog Days of Summer

Q

Comments (21)
    Hey Jayne thanks I was just going to volunteer someone else to do it (grin). Can you make sure you include all seven threads? My soup got lost last time, I think (sniff) - stuff happens, no biggie! Is Stacy not around?!?! I haven't check the WFD threads. BTW I'm in.
    ...See More

Summer Virtual Dinner - Hors d'oeuvres

Q

Comments (13)
    Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table ===================================== 1 focaccia, homemade or purchases 1 roasted red pepper, cut into strips and drizzled with olive oil. 1 recipe homemade Tapanade (or purchase all ready made) Chevre (Goat cheese) . Cut the Focaccia into bite size squares Cut the roasted pepper into small strips Warm the Goat Cheese in the microwave to soften. Put a dollop of goat cheese on top of each square of focaccia. On half the focaccia place a few strips of pepper and on the other half place a small spoon of Tapenade. Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table Black Olive Tapenade ==================== Olive Tapenade 2 large garlic cloves 1 3/4 cups pitted Kalamata olives 4 anchovy fillets 1 1/2 tablespoons drained capers 2 to 4 Tablespoons fresh basil 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 1/4 cup olive oil salt/pepper to taste . Finely chop the garlic cloves in a food processor. Add olives, anchovies, capers, basil . Process until almost smooth. Add lemon juice. With machine running, gradually add the olive oil. Blend mixture until smooth. Season tapenade to taste with pepper. Transfer to a small bowl. Serve on slices of french bread. Options: Use some or all green olives add small can of quality tuna add 1 to 2 tablespoons brandy add more anchovies Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table ========================================== Weber Grill REcipes 32 large shrimp (450 to 565 grams or 1-1 1/4 pounds) shelled and deveined (except for tails) Lemon Pesto 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh basil 1/4 cup olive oil 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese 1 clove garlic 1 tablespoon pine nuts . In a food processor or blender, combine ingredients for Lemon Pesto. Whirl until smooth. Rinse shrimp and pat dry. Place in a large heavy-duty plastic bag or nonreactive bowl. Pour in pesto and seal bag (or cover bowl). Rotate bag to distribute marinade and place in a shallow pan. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours, turning shrimp occasionally. Remove shrimp from bag and drain, discarding marinade. Thread shrimp on skewers. Arrange skewers on cooking grate. If using charcoal, cook directly over coals; if using gas, use medium heat and put skewers over unlit side of grill (indirect heat method). Place lid on grill. Cook, turning once halfway through cooking time, until shrimp are opaque in thickest part (4 to 5 minutes; cut to test). Transfer to platter or individual plates. Garnish with basil sprigs.
    ...See More

Summer Virtual Dinner - Links to recipe threads...

Q

Comments (1)
    Good Night Moon.... and thank you Jayne
    ...See More
  • earthlydelights
    16 years ago

We really enjoy this salad, you can tweak it with additional items, but I always have what it calls for on hand.

ITALIAN BREAD SALAD

1 small loaf country style bread - a few days old
    1 cup water
    6 ripe tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2" dice
    1 small red onion, thinly sliced
    1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and halved lengthwise cut into 1/2" dice
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 tablespoons well-drained capers
    ½ ounce (about ½ cup) fresh basil leaves, washed and torn into pieces
    1 cup dressing (recipe follows)
    salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Cut the bread into slices about 1" thick. Place in a large shallow container and pour the water evenly over the slices. Let stand for one minute. Carefully squeeze the bread between your hands until dry. Tear the bread into rough 1" pieces and spread out on paper towels to absorb the excess moisture. Let stand about 10 minutes.

In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, cucumber, garlic, capers, basil and bread and toss together to mix well. Add the dressing and toss again until evenly distributed. Cover and let rest in the frig for about an hour.

Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to serving bowl or individual salad plates

Dressing:
    5 tablespoons EVOO
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Whisk all ingredients together, season to taste with salt and pepper

This recipe comes from Joanne Weir

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Here is one I found on Food Network that I want to try and it sounds so refreshing for Summer.

Fregola Salad with Fresh Citrus and Red Onion Recipe

Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis

For the orange oil:
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 orange, zested

For the salad:
    8 cups chicken broth
    1 pound fregola pasta (or orzo) (I would sub. rice)
    1 orange
    1 pink grapefruit
    1 small red onion, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
    1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds, lightly toasted
    1 teaspoon coarse salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

For the orange oil:
    Combine the olive oil and the orange zest in a small bowl and set aside.

For the salad:
    Bring the large saucepan of chicken broth to a boil over high heat. Add the fregola pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain pasta onto a large baking sheet. Spread to a single layer and let cool for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, using a small knife cut the skin off the orange and grapefruit. Over a large bowl, cut out the segments of the citrus flesh and catch the juices. Add the onion, mint, basil, fennel seeds, salt, pepper, and cooled fregola pasta.

Add the reserved orange oil to the pasta. Toss all the ingredients together and serve.

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Diana's grilled caesars are one of my favorite summer salads...I ususally add black olives.

Grilled caesar
    Here's what Diana posted:
    Sat, Jun 17, 06 at 14:58
    "What about a grilled Caesar salad? I like making that when we have barbecues... just halve the romaine head, drizzle a little olive oil and sprinkle some salt and freshly ground pepper, then grill it just a minute or two until it picks up a little char. Add your dressing, shave some parmesan and have some croutons... I buy those, the long, cheesy slices. It's interesting and different

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Also love Woodie's layered salad!

DEEP DISH LAYERED SALAD -Woodie
    2 hard cooked eggs, chopped
    1 1/2 heads iceburg lettuce - rinsed, dried and shredded
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1 cup chopped green onions
    2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    2 cups frozen green peas, thawed

2 cups mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon curry powder
    2 tablespoons crumbled bacon
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Layer 1/2 of the lettuce in the bottom of a large bowl. Follow with a
    layer of celery, bell pepper, green onion, mushrooms, peas and egg. Top
    with remaining lettuce.
    Whisk together the mayonnaise, brown sugar,
    garlic powder and curry powder. Spread evenly over top of salad. Sprinkle
    with crumbled bacon and Parmesan cheese. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
    Makes 10 servings

• woodie
    16 years ago

Here's one that I like a lot. The leftovers are great for breakfast. Thanks, Little One!

CUCUMBER AND WATERMELON SALAD FROM EVERY DAY FOOD
    INGREDIENTS

Posted by littleonefb (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 31, 07 at 23:33

3 cups peeled and cubed european cucumber
    3 cups cubed watermelon
    3 tablespoons lime juice
    optional
    pepper and salt to taste
    Combine the cucumber, watermelon and lime juice. If not serving right away add salt and pepper if desired just before serving.

Littleonefb's Changes -
    I leave out the salt and just add pepper. This tastes wonderful served over sherbet or vanilla ice cream as well. My daughter likes to make one as is without any salt and another bowl without salt but she adds a sprinkle of white wine to the salad just before serving.

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

Here is good one for green beans from the garden or farmers market.

GREEN BEAN, PECAN, AND FETA SALAD (Cindy Mac)
    2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
    1 small purple onion, thinly sliced
    2-3 ounces crumbled feta cheese
    1 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted
    6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    coarse salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
    CUT green beans into thirds, and arrange in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Immediately plunge into cold water to stop the cooking process; drain and pat dry.
    TOSS together green beans, onion, cheese, and pecans in a large bowl. Cover and chill 1 hour.
    WHISK together olive oil and next 5 ingredients; cover and chill 1 hour.
    POUR vinaigrette over green bean mixture, and chill 1 hour; toss just before serving.
    ~adapted from Southern Living magazine

• debbie814
    16 years ago

This was posted by Cindy. I know some of the forum members enjoy it.

Bruschetta Orzo Salad (cindy)

1 cup orzo pasta
    2 tomatoes, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped red onion
    1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
    opt: kalamata olives, feta, tuna
    3 T Balsamic vinegar (***OR, 2 T cider vinegar and 1 T rice vinegar OR 1 T lemon juice)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 T olive oil
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions for about 8 minutes, or until just tender; drain.
    Combine dressing ingredients.
    Place hot pasta in large bowl and toss with a little dressing; cool about 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
    Add remaining ingredients and dressing to bowl and toss to mix well.
    Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
    Serve chilled or at room temperature.

• woodie
    16 years ago

We love a platter of Jersey Beefsteak Tomatoes!

JACK MAGRI'S TOMATOES
    Slice tomatoes and spread out on a large platter
    Sprinkle with -
    Thinly sliced red onion
    Finely minced garlic
    Salt & Pepper
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Serve at room temp

• Karigraphy
    16 years ago

At Trader Joe's recently, I tasted a salad that was being sampled and immediately bought all the ingredients to serve it as our dinner that evening.

No recipe, but it was simply: mixed greens, strawberry slices, TJ's sweet and spicey pecans, and a dressing made from TJ's Orange Muscat Champagne vinegar mixed with some vegetable oil for the dressing.

I served it with skewers of grilled shrimp.

Kari

• User
    16 years ago

Here are three of my favourites. I'm thinking of making the Prawn and Avocado Salad as a first course. Still thinking about my main course.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Prawn and Avocado Salad
    =======================

24 large Prawns/Shrimp
    2 Avocados sliced
    2 Tablespoons chopped chives
    6 leaves of Boston or Butter Lettuce

Dressing

1 cup of Mayonnaise (homemade or Hellmans is best)
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 small fresh red chilli, finely chopped
    1 clove of minced garlic

(Note: Sometimes I use just hot red pepper flakes and sometimes I roast a fresh red pepper, finely chop and add to the dressing along with the hot red pepper flakes)
    . Peel and devein shrimp, leaving on tail shell.

Cook. Cool and refrigerate

Make Dressing by mixing all of the ingredients together.

To serve,

Place one leaf of lettuce on each plate.

Place the shrimp on plate and place one slice of avocado between each
    shrimp.

Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with chopped chives.

Vittorio's Spinach Salad
    ========================

Vittorio's was a restaurant in Toronto that we use to go to years ago. Salad isn't something that I would usually order but I loved his. This is my recreation of his recipe.

Washed and dried spinach (Baby)

4 hard boiled eggs, peeled

4 or 5 cleaned mushrooms, sliced

1 can of artichoke hearts halved or quartered

3 Roma tomatoes, quartered

2 chopped green onions

Kalamata olives
    Dressing

1/4 teaspoon tarragon
    1/2 clove of garlic
    2 or 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
    1/2 cup homemade mayo or Hellmans
    salt and pepper

Place spinach in a large salad bowl. Decorate with eggs, mushrooms,
    artichoke hearts, tomatoes and green onions and olives.

Drizzle with dressing and toss.

Can be made on individual plates as well.

Dressing

Soak tarragon and garlic in vinegar. Add salt to dissolve.

Mix vinegar mixture into mayonnaise and adjust seasoning to taste.

Roasted Red Pepper And Watercress Salad
    =======================================
    Source: Judith Huxley's - Table for Eight

4 large red bell peppers
    6 Tablespoons olive oil
    1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 tablespoon minced shallot
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 bunch watercress, washed and dried
    . Broil or roasted the peppers until the skins are blackened and
    blistered. Place them in a plastic bag and let them sit for about 10
    minutes, or until they are cool enough to handle. Rub off the skins,
    seed the peppers, and cut into thin strips. Mix the oil and lemon
    juice and add to the peppers. Add the minced shallot and salt and
    pepper. Set aside. Just before serving place the watercress in a
    bowl, add the peppers with the dressing and toss.

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Blackeyed Pea and Jalapeno Salad (from "Martha Stewart Living" magazine, Aug. 2004)

2 15 oz. cans blackeyed peas, drained and rinsed
    2 fresh jalapeno chiles, seeds and ribs discarded, cut into 1/4 inch dice (I think I might use hot cherry peppers instead)
    1 small red onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice
    3/4 cup sprouts, such as sunflower or alfalfa (sprouts at the grocery are gross, so I'm going to substitute celery and maybe green pepper.)
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    2 TBLSP red-wine vinegar
    Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper (I'll use a lemon pepper salt mix I have)

Mix all ingredients together and season with salt and pepper. (I'd add marinate for at least an hour for flavors to meld. If you do that and use the sprouts, then add them at the end, just before serving.)

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

I am not participating in the virtual dinner, but here are a couple of my favorite salads.

Tequilaberry's Salad
    source: Tequilaberry restaurant

Dressing:
    1 cup Hellmann's Mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip!)
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup milk
    1 pound bacon-cooked until crisp and crumbled
    Salad Base:
    2 pounds bagged Dole Salad Mix
    1/2 head of cauliflower, cut in small pieces
    11/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
    Mix dressing ingredients until they are the consistency of heavy cream.
    If needed, add extra milk or sugar to taste.
    Toss together the Salad ingredients and pour the dressing on. Toss until
    well coated.

Strawberry Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing Source: St. Paul Hotel Baby Spinach Leaves Sliced Strawberries Dressing: 1 c sugar 1/4 c poppyseeds 1/2 c Sesame seeds 1 c salad oil 1/2 c raspberry vinegar dash paprika 1 T worcestershire sauce 1 T minced onion Combine sugar and vinegar and whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and chill well. Serve over baby spinach leaves and sliced strawberries. Garnish with brie cheese wedges. (you may want to half this recipe, as it makes a LOT of dressing...) Linda
  • jade.d
    16 years ago

I rolled my eyes when my SIL was telling me about this recipe, watermelon,feta,olives,onion. But she brought it to a family function and it is awesome!

• woodie
    16 years ago

Jade - that sounds wonderful to me! On Saturday at a very special lunch at the Culinary Institute, this is the salad that I had and it was delicious.

Salade de Roquette et Pasteque 6.50
    Watermelon and arugula salad, candied pistachios, mint, feta cheese and cucumber dressing

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths