Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Class Reunion Approches

Posted by moonwolf (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 13:12

Hi everyone,

In eleven days, my five year high school class reunion will take place. For this special event, we are asked to bring covered dishes. I have chosen to make two batches of cobbler. One will be peach, and the other will be blackberry. Lucky for me, the recipe I use is only 4 ingredients and only takes 40 minutes to bake :-).

I'm also going to make a batch of Gram's Lemonade, provided that any of my beverage containers fit in the cooler we have lol.

The reunion is to be held outdoors at a local lake, which is a popular tourist attraction, especially during this time of year. I just hope the weather's nice. I have butterflies in my stomach for so many reasons lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Class Reunion Approches

Only 5 years, lol. My 30th is in a few weeks. Only going to the bar night but will be making quiche to a few friends for we head to the bar.

Just wanted to add that the butterflies don't go away as you get older!

o

Brad,

Enjoy your reunion! They are a kick...well, at least until you get my age. ;)

/tricia

o

Yes, they can be a blast, or... We had our 50th last year and I was sick so couldn't go. They are having a mini-reunion in three days and, of course, I'm sick. Dang!

o

Thank you, debrak2008 and Tricia!

I have butterflies mainly because I really hope they like what I bring and well, I'm wondering to see how much they've changed. I remember the one teacher said that our class reminded her of the characters from "Grease". Being a musical and an Olivia Newton-John fan, of course I took that as a compliment lol.

The good news is that I will be able to make two gallons of lemonade and take along some Cool/Reddi Whip for the cobblers! I can't wait!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

bcskye, I'm sorry to hear that you're sick and can't make it for your mini-reunion! Heal fast!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Get well soon, Bcskye - sorry to hear that you can't make your reunion.

I can't imagine that people would change that much in five years, but perhaps they do. I didn't go to my five year HS reunion because I was in San Francisco, and the high school is in central Texas. Anyway, I went to my 20 year reunion, feeling that by then people would look different, and for the most part they did. Most of the men looked terrible, and suddenly I was very popular with the most attractive women, who had ignored me in high school. Anyway, the women had kept their looks much better than the men.

"Grease" is a fun musical, and one of my best friends in SF had played the leading role on stage when he was in Seattle. I helped him put together a show for when the Queen of England visited SF in 1983. Anyway, I had him sing the song "The Queen" by the Rip Chords, which was pretty fun. Several clubs had "Queen Elizabeth look-alike" contests (which were not pretty) for the event.

I really like blackberry cobbler, but I have not had it in a long time. Blackberries are not that common in SoCal, as they are not cultivated here that I know of, but I used to find them wild in northern California and in Texas. In Texas we called them "dewberries", but I think they were really blackberries. Peach cobbler is good too, but I've only had it with ice cream.

Hope you have a great time, and don't think about the butterflies!

Lars

o

Thank you, Lars! I'll try not to think about those butterflies in my stomach.

There is talk of me being the so-called "Food Coordinator" for the reunion. Now, this is a very informal get-together, almost like one big barbecue/cook out. So, I'll help out in any way that I can. A few guys are going to be grilling some burgers, hot dogs, hot sausages, and a few other surprises (I hope it's not deer meat; ugh!). I really hope I can make it to the reunion for sure!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

It sounds like it will be simple enough so you can enjoy the event. People no longer cook and bake much, so homemade anything, especially something yummy like cobbler, should be a big hit. :-)

Our little high school (there were 160-170 students in four grades in high school when I graduated in 1970) has an all-school reunion every year. If you attend each year aging doesn't seem to be a big deal - it's people who only make it for anniversary reunions and you don't see them for 10-20-years (or so) who seem to age. As long as I can get in my cheerleader uniform, I can't possibly be getting old (LOL)!

Our principal and our science teacher (in their 90's) still attend the banquets (which are held in the school gym), and not that many years ago our 3rd grade teacher attended.

-Grainlady

o

Brad, I hope you have fun.

I just got the information regarding my 40th class reunion. Since I have not attended a single one, I don't plan to attend this one either. Any friends that I cared about in high school have stayed in touch and so I know where they are and how they are, thus I've never felt inclined to attend any of the reunions.

Annie

o

Grainlady, those banquets sound very nice. Not all of us are going to be in attendance, but those that show up, it should be a good time. Some I haven't seen in ages, and the way things are, it might be every 5 years or so that we'll have one.

Annie, dad's 40th reunion is this year as well. He's never went to his reunions. Same for mom. Our class was like a little family, and I keep in touch with a few of them, not too many. I was always different than the others because of my tastes in music/entertainment and other hobbies, and got made fun of for other things, but the ones who were my friends didn't care. They love me for what I am today.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Brad, we love you for what you are too! After all, you love to cook, you're will to share your Gram's recipes with us, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Annie

o

Thank you, Annie!

I'm happy to be here and share recipes and get advice from you all! Funny you should bring up Gram, Annie. I'm making her lemonade tomorrow for the theatre workday on Saturday. I'm also going to make a mandarin orange cake recipe I found today online. It has a brown sugar glaze, whereas I read most recipes use pudding mix, Cool Whip, and pineapple chunks all mixed together for a frosting. I'm wondering if I still should refrigerate it, if I'm just using the brown sugar glaze.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Brad, I think if you are using the glaze you won't need to refrigerate it, I think that's probably because of the Cool Whip.

Have fun at the theater AND the reunion!

Annie

o

Thank you, again, Annie! I'll be sure and have a good time!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

No theatre workday for me this weekend. They said they're only needing a few people and they're not doing lunch, so I'm free for this weekend lol. Next weekend is the reunion! :-). I'm so excited!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Correction: I am making the lemonade and mandarin orange cake after all to share with my neighbors who come up on weekends. The lemonade is already made, and the cake will be made and baked tomorrow.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Have a great time Brad. Have a great time at your reunion. And thank you for all your sharing here. I love your posts.
I'm also one who was never popular. Our reunion was last summer, 35 years, but I didn't go. It was to be a 3 day event, the only day that I might have thought about going was the night they had the banquet. But at $90 for DH and me to go, I decided we would have more fun putting that $90 into the gas tank of the RV and doing something else. That's half a tank of gas in that thing! And it's amazing to me just how often I see an old class mate in Walmart that always speaks to me like an old friend, that never had anything to do with me in school. They were always polite, but I sure wasn't in their circle! Now it's like I'm a long lost friend. But as I haven't left the area, and they know who I married, I guess if they really wanted to talk to me, they could get in touch with me!

Tami

o

Glad you enjoy being here, Tami! I enjoy being here as well!

Five more days until the big event! Tomorrow is when I buy the cake mix and pie filling for my cobblers. Thursday, I'll be getting the lemons for the lemonade.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Cobbler sounds wonderful. Like many here, I'm coming up on my 40th HS reunion. I have never been, and may not ever go. This past year, our college (small one) had a "choir reunion" during Homecoming Weekend -- anyone who had ever been in the college choir was invited to come and sing certain pieces under the direction of the director that I'd had (he's in his 70s now). Unfortunately, I could not justify the expense of flying from SAN to STL for a 4-day trip for this, taking time off work. So I didn't go. In many ways, I regret it.

Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here