Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Psyllium husk substitution in muffins

Posted by ovenbird (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 13:11

I want to try this recipe but do not have psyllium husk. I'm at a loss as to what to substitute and have not had any luck searching online. Any suggestions?

Tangelo Cheesecake Muffins (chocolate chilli mango)
Makes 10 standard muffins or 15 financier (friand)

300 grams low-fat cottage cheese (drier, not runny) or quark
185 grams liquid egg whites (or 3 large eggs plus 1 egg white)
1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla powder or 1 teaspoon extract
105 millilitres fresh tangelo juice (from 1 large tangelo)
grated zest of 1 tangelo
150 grams almond meal
20 grams psyllium husks
90 grams Natvia (or preferred stevia blend sweetener)*
1 teaspoon baking powder (gluten-free)
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

*If you prefer, substitute about 100 - 115 grams of sugar, depending on how sweet you like your muffins. This will increase both the total carb count as well as the sugars in the macros.

Preheat the oven to 180°C. If using silicon muffin or financier molds, there is no need to line the molds. If using standard muffin or financier pans, line with cupcake or financier liners or grease with preferred spray or brush with a little oil of choice. Set aside.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the cottage cheese (or quark) and egg whites (or whole eggs). Whisk together until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla and tangelo juice, and whisk until smooth.

In a large mixing bowl, add the tangelo zest, almond meal, psyllium, sweetener, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well until combined and there are no lumps.

Add the wet mixture to the dry. Use a fork to very quickly and lightly combine the ingredients.

Do. Not. Over. Mix. We're making muffins, not meringue

Having a light touch when deliberately under mixing muffin batter will result in wonderfully light muffins. Beating the life out of the batter will only make you cry when you take your first bite. Now that we're all on the same page...

Divide the batter between the muffin or financier molds. Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes until well risen and golden. Do not over bake. They will puff up with lovely domes and then fall a little because they're cheesecake muffins

Remove from the oven and allow to cool a little before removing from their molds and serving. They will keep for up to a week if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

They are lovely served warm on their own or split and served with fruit and yoghurt or with your favourite chocolate spread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Psyllium husk substitution in muffins

Psyllium seed husk is a source of fiber....to promote regularity.
That's what Metamucil is....you could likely substitute that....or maybe oat bran.

o

Or ground flax seed.

o

So you think the psyllium husks just add fiber and have no other purpose?

I do have ground flax seed so maybe I'll use that.

Thanks for the quick input!

o

But flax seed contains fat and carbs....don 't know if it would make a difference.....
Also the psyllium would act as sort of a glue to hold the muffins together as there is no flour.

o

I think the amount of flax seed will not make much of a difference re: fat and carbs. And I'm hoping the eggs will be the glue! We'll see...

o

Both Lindac and myself use Metamucil, for a reason.
Try it, you'll like it.

o

I wish I lived closer to my sister...she uses Metamucil too!

o

I don't use metamucil....but my grandmother did.
When you add water it looks like that stuff inside of an overnight extra absorbent diaper.
The eggs will provide one sort of glue....but the psyllium provides substance, which flax seed doesn't doo. You add water to ground flax and it stays the same....you add water to psyllium husks and it swells into a gelatinous mass.
It's a key ingredient....I wouldn't try that recipe without.

o

Ground chia seeds might do the trick.

o

I've got some chia seeds I could grind up. I also have Hi-Maize fiber (not flour)...might that work too?

o

You know there are certain things that you can sub in recipes and no one will know....but for a little different taste. Doesn't effect the tecture or size or much else. Things like chopped dried apricots for raisins or for dried peaches, pecans for walnuts, milk and a bit of lemon for sour cream....but with something like this....I wouldn't try it.
If, as I suspect, it turns out to be a dense soggy "thing"....you will have wasted almond flour, tangelo juice, cottage cheese and about 3 eggs.
I would save the experimentation for something where the outcome is more promising and the potential for high dollar waste isn't so great.
But....if the prospect of tossing all that stuff isn't an issue....then go for it and perhaps we all can learn.

o

My advice was off the cuff for both items but I just did a search and found this on a gluten free baking site:

"Binders
If xantham gum, guar gum, or psyllium husk powders make your belly upset you can usually substitute with ground flax seeds or ground chia seeds. Simply substitute the same amount of ground flax or ground chia seeds as the gum or psyllium husk called for in the recipe and add twice the amount of super warm water, giving it all a good stir until it's thick, goopy, and kinda "eggy". That's it and should do the trick. So far it's been working great!"

Here is a link that might be useful: Link.

o

barnmom, you're a surfing wiz! I really did try finding this info, but with no luck.

Lindac, you have a good point re: wasting time and $$$. I'll have to give this more thought. I have about a dozen small tangerines which won't be eaten, so I thought I'd give this recipe a try. Maybe I'll boil and freeze them so they'll be ready when I want to make Nigella's clementine cake.

Thanks!

o

Lindac, from what I've read, you are pretty damn close
to my age. So, TRY the Metamucill, and I'll bet you
LOVE it. Lemme know how it "WORKS OUT".

o

Poddy....I will bet lots that I am older than you....but I'm not the "up tight sort"....thanks for the recommendation but no thanks.

o

This isn't about muffins anymore, is it?

o

We need Ewww! alerts on this forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here