Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Then and Now.....

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 12:56

At one time, the soda crackers used to fit snugly in the metal container.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Then and Now.....

It doesn't seem that long ago, when they would fill the container

o

I'm sure we could all add to the shrinking product list and we would all agree that it's going to get worse.

Ray's New York Bagels: They use to be too large to fit into my wooden bagel slicer, then they dropped right in. I contacted the company; the response was that the cost of flour had gone up. I said I would pay more for the original size.

o

Agreed. Raise the price enough so that you don't have to keep going up a penny every year. Like a dime.

OTOH, the bagels here keep getting bigger and breadier. I miss the old small bagels with the hard, chewy crust and would be happy to pay more for less. :)

o

> I miss the old small bagels with the hard, chewy crust and would be happy to pay more for less

Me, too. When did bagels stop being bagels and become just round bread?

Another interesting shrinking item is the pint of ice cream, which is now 12 oz for a lot of brands. (I don't get too upset by that one since I shouldn't be eating it anyway.)

o

Writersblock - The ice cream makes perfect sense. There's 8 pints in a half gallon, right? Half gallons of ice cream are 1.5 quarts so the pints can only be 12 ounces now.

The good news is beer cans keep getting bigger. Remember when tall boys were 16 ounces? Now 24 ounce beers are common, and you might also see 32.

o

HA! Totally coincidentally minutes after I posted that my friend came over and mentioned that a bunch of 24s are going to 25s!

o

I have quite a few old recipes that use a specific weight can of an ingredient. I now am finding the the contents are an ounce or two short of what to be in the same can. It makes making some of the old recipes wasteful when I have to take a few ounces out of a second can.

o

Remember when a pound of coffee was a pound???

Ah yes, they shrink and shrink the ingredients until they can't shrink no more. Then they come up with the new "economy size" or "family size" that gets you back to where you used to be, but at a higher price....

o

I'd rather have the higher price to start with and have consistency in quantity and quality.

o

Yes, I've often bemoaned the 4 pound bag of sugar instead of 5 pounds, and the 8 pound bag of potatoes that used to weigh 10 pounds. Ice cream has been mentioned, I hadn't noticed that beer had grown, LOL.

It's the industry's way of slowly introducing us to price increases, I guess. I've never purchased based on cost by package, I've always figured out cost per item or per ounce, etc. Yeah, I know, food producers hate me.

Annie

o

Exactly, Annie, I don't know if it's universal but at least around here unless you're doing your grocery shopping at 7-Eleven the price per pound (or whatever unit) is right there.***

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't see the big deal. The fact is food prices are going up, have been going up and will continue to go up. So whether it's smaller packages keeping the "price" level, or higher prices keeping the volume level, it's really six of one, half dozen of the other.

Personally, I'm not opposed to the smaller packaging. Why? Because that's typically the "inner aisle" stuff that's for the most part garbage anyway. Either that or stuff that you might not use as fast as you thought. In both cases, I actually appreciate the smaller packaging. Either I'm eating less of it or I'm throwing out less of it. Win-win.

For the most part, "perimeter shopping" is by the pound. Meaning produce, seafood, butcher, etc.

Yes, there are things that are annoying, but it's kind of personal. Annie doesn't like 3 pound bags of sugar, for me that's a year's worth so I couldn't give a hoot. Annie doesn't like pasta, but for me the pasta I regularly buy comes in a 12oz box now. My family goes through a pound for dinner, so I'm always splitting boxes. If that's the most annoying thing that happens to me in a given day, it's a good day.

*** Sometimes this will surprise you - for example I've been consistently finding that the medium size Nutella jars are cheaper per ounce than the larger jars. Sale items are worth a look, too. For instance often the smaller boxes of cereal are more economical than the value/family size when they're on sale.

o

FOAS, I get around that Nutella problem by buying the LARGE jar. It's always better than the small one. (grin)

I also try to buy smaller versions of nearly everything else, or it gets stale before I use it. Quarts of milk, small boxes of cereal. As a double bonus, my small grocery will double coupons up to 60 cents, so if I have one on Cheerios, I get the small box and pay nearly nothing, plus get to use up the whole box before it gets stale. Not that it happens very often that I buy something I actually have a coupon for they seem to be mostly for various frozen items and convenience mixes which I don't use. When I do, though, the small size is nearly always best for me, I don't have to store the huge containers of stuff.

It still feels really sneaky, though, to just downsize packages while we aren't paying attention.

Annie

o

I find raising the minimum wage a joke.

So everyone gets a bigger paycheck, companies have to pay employees more, they charge more for everything they produce, ------- where does it get us?

It gets our products more expensive and non-competitive for exporting. It gets imported goods cheaper, and we import more.

Everyone loses.

dcarch

o

It is maddening when they make the new sizes so much smaller.

Last week I noticed that 1-litre of chocolate milk (we don't buy it) which is on sale for 99c, is now a 750 ml carton.

25% smaller is pretty drastic IMO.

It will only be a matter of time that my half-and-half is that size as well.

o

Ah, but that's another tricky thing stores do. The "sale" version is often smaller than what they sell for full price. Oddly, occasionally it will be larger (usually when that particular size is being discontinued).

o

WB, we have never, ever seen 1-litre containers of milk products sold at 750ml. I've only ever seen l-litre and 500ml sized containers. This is going to be the new size, I fear.

o

I often wonder...how did my mother feed breakfast to her 5 children with 1 box of cereal that lasted a week?

How did our family of 7 eat one chicken for dinner? My brothers and I laugh when we recall the chicken disbursement--Neal was assigned the neck; Doug a wing; I got a breast.

o

And have you noticed that a store will run a "sale" on a product and remarkably when the product has sold through, there will be NEW packaging, usually with a smaller quantity, that will replace it?

o

Mustangs, how did Neal survive on the neck? Were you ever able to trade or rotate on who gets what?

o

Jasdip, Neal got the neck AND back. We don't remember ever having other pieces of the chicken but then we didn't have chicken very often, we were very poor at one time. I remember Neal eating "chocolate flavored" Ex-Lax for a treat.

o

So now the rich folks are eschewing chicken (I remember when it was "luxury" food and beef was cheap), and eating beans and rice with collards instead. :) Which is why they're talking about "food gentrification".

o

Look at the size of snack food like HoHos. They are nowhere near as big as they used to be.

When you buy canned veggies, they are a smaller size and the same or a bigger price.

It is the practice of companies, give you less for more money. I grow my own and pay less.

Before you give arguments about fertilizer and such, I make my own and know where my seeds come from. Even a small garden can be to your benefit, and save you money.

Cheri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here