Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tortellini, Peas, and Prosciutto - T&T?

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 12:56

I had a recipe for Tortellini, Peas, and Prosciutto. I haven't made it in a quite a while, and now I can't find it.

As well as I remember, it was tortellini, prosciutto, peas, cream, Parmesan cheese, and maybe shallots.

I googled those ingredients, but most of the recipes were from Yummly, a site I'm unfamiliar with.

Anyone have a T&T recipe for me to try?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tortellini, Peas, and Prosciutto - T&T?

Was it this one?

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: Tortellini Peas and Proscuitto

o

No, but thanks for the try, caliloo. I'm sure it was meatless and tomato-less, too.

o
meatless

Make that "meatless but for the prosciutto"

o

I often make a very similar meal. So often that I've never even bothered to write down any given version of it. It is usually some combination of meat and/or vegetables that I happen to have on hand, mixed with a three-cheese tortellini and a pan-made parmesan cheese-cream sauce.

Assuming that I had the main ingredients you listed, here's how it'd go:

Tortellini con tutto cio che e in frigo
serves 3 to 4

9 oz package Buitoni 3 cheese tortellini
2 medium shallots (chopped fine)
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 oz proscuitto (sliced into thin ribbons 1/4"x2")
1/3 cup frozen peas
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
1 tsp crushed garlic
4-6 medium white mushrooms (sliced)
1/3 cup light cream (or half and half)
1/3 cup white wine
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

Cook tortellini according to package directions.
Heat oil over medium heat. Add chopped shallots and cook until shallots start to become translucent, being careful to not let them brown.
Add garlic and mushrooms, and cook until mushrooms soften.
Add peas and proscuitto. Melt butter in center of pan and add flour to melted butter, letting the butter and flour foam up.
Add cream and stir until sauce starts to thicken.
Stir in wine and cheese, adding more wine if the sauce is too thick, add more cheese if the sauce is too thin.

Drain tortellini and add to pan with sauce. Stir until well mixed and serve with crescent rolls.

o
translation

I meant to post the translation of the title of the recipe:

Tortellini con tutto cio che e in frigo == Tortellini with whatever you find in the fridge

o

Hilarious, bob. I'm going to give your tortellini a try soon. Thought I would have done it by now, but life interfered ... in a good way.

o

Bob cville, I tried your recipe for our supper tonight.

Definitely a keeper!

Thanks for posting it.

Rusty

o

I felt a little guilty posting it since I hadn't actually "tried" that exact combination of "con tutto cio che e in frigo", but I make the rest of the dish so often and in so many different ways that I had no doubt that that recipe would be "true".

The recipe above is a sort of template recipe where once you have the basic outline of ingredients and method, the rest can be filled in with almost anything and you'll have a fairly good chance at success.

To make other variations of this dish, I generally leave everything else the same and replace the proscuitto, peas, and shallots with other ingredient combinations. such as:

Chicken & asparagus
shrimp and peas
italian sausage, roasted red and yellow peppers
zucchini, yellow squash and roma tomatoes
chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives
shrimp and pesto

o

YUM! Made Bob's recipe tonight. I regret to inform you that DH and I ate the whole thing!

o

I'll have to change the above to be:

Tortellini con tutto cio che e in frigo
serves 2 to 4

:-)

o

LOL, bob. It was very very good. I am definitely putting this one on my pepperplate.com site.

o

Thanks glad you enjoyed it. Years ago when I first would make this dish, I would use a pre-made alfredo sauce, but it was often heavy and gluey and somewhat flavorless. Then once I started this dish and found the already-open alfredo sauce was moldy, and I made a quick sauce with what I had on hand, and it turned out better (IMHO) than the store-bought sauce.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here