SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Piccalilli relish for Sienna 98

lpinkmountain
11 years ago

Sorry I am so slow. I am swamped with ongoing projects so don't have much time to post. Here's my Piccalilli recipe. It's a green tomato relish that you can. Good in salads, sandwich topping, etc. I use it to flavor coleslaw. The recipe comes from my old Ball Blue Book from 1996 but I also have a recipe from "Keeping the Harvest" that does not call for horseradish or include cabbage. I never put horseradish in mine.

Ball Blue Book Piccalilli

4 quarts peeled, cored chopped green tomatoes (about 32 med.)

2 quarts chopped cabbage (about 1 large head)

2 cups chopped sweet green peppers (about 4)

1 cup chopped onion

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

1/2 cup salt

2 TBLSP mustard seeds

1 TBLSP celery seed

1 TBLSP prepared horseradish

4 1/2 cups vinegar

Sprinkle salt over the vegetables and let stand in a colander 3-4 hours. Drain thoroughly. (I rinse first.) Press with tea towels to remove free liquid. Put sugar, spices and vinegar in non-reactive pot on the stove. Simmer 15 minutes. Add the vegetables and bring to a boil. Pack hot into hot jars prepared for canning, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust caps. Process 10 min. in a boiling water bath. Yields about 7 pints.

Piccalilli without cabbage from "Keeping the Harvest" by Nancy Chioffi and Gretchen Mead.

3 sweet red peppers

3 sweet green peppers (or throw in a hot pepper if you are a wild one!)

2 quarts green tomatoes

10 small onions

3 cups cider vinegar

1 3/4 cups sugar

1/8 cup table salt (Use non-iodized or your relish will be cloudy)

1/4 cup mustard seed

1 tsp. celery seed

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. allspice

Wash, seed and quarter the vegetables. This recipe says put it through a food mill. I would just chop fine, or use the food processor if you want it really fine. Drain off excess liquid. In a large, non-reactive kettle, add vegetables and half of vinegar. Boil for 1/2 hour, stirring often. Drain and discard liquid. Add remaining vinegar, suagar and spices, and simmer 3 minutes. Pour into hot, sterilized pint jars, allowing 1/2 inch headroom, and process in a boiling-water bath for 5 minutes. Yields 6 pints. Ideal with hamburgers or mixed with ketchup for relish, or in potato salad.

"Non-reactive" means not aluminum or cast iron, which will "react" with the vinegar to give an off taste to your relish. Enamel, non-stick or stainless steel are fine.

These recipes assume you know safe canning procedures, which I won't go into. If you're not sure, check out the Web site of the National Center for Home Food Preservation, http://nchfp.uga.edu

Comments (3)

• lbpod
    11 years ago

Lpink, I hear ya. I too have been swamped with ongoing
    projects. Just this morning I was going to trim my
    toenails and suddenly I had to take a nap.
    Concering your Picadilli recipe, I really like it!!!!
    Of course, I LOVE anything with horseradish in it,
    along with cabb-aghe. But I think your recipe just
    craves or some HOT peppers. Just my opinion, and .............
    (I know you are just waitin.........."I'm just sayin...."

• lakemayor
    11 years ago

Thanks Lpink for this recipe. I think I will try it without cabbage since I don't have any on hand. It sounds great and I think I will add a little hot pepper.

Karen

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You can mix and max the spices to your taste, just don't change the total quantity of spices in either recipe, or the levels of vinegar and sugar, or the total quantity of vegetables. It's pretty important to either sweat off or drain off the liquids though in this relish. I usually am pretty haphazard with that part and my relish is a bit watery.
    I love homeade relishes! You should definately give homeade ketchup a try if you have enough ripe tomatoes! Annie gave me some once, it was fab.!

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm