Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kentucky Jam Cake

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 12:34

One of my FBI friends posted this list of American desserts. In addition to the ones I'd eaten, I had heard of all of them except for Fried Coke and Kentucky Jam Cake.

I was intrigued by the cake and checked my cookbooks that might have a recipe for it and none did. When I checked the Internet, there was a slew of recipes with so many variations I didn't know where to start.

I'd like to try making a Kentucky Jam Cake but having no idea what It's supposed to taste like or what the traditional ingredients are other than seedless blackberry jam.

Anyone have a T & T recipe for it or any information to help me select a recipe?

Here is a link that might be useful: American Desserts

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kentucky Jam Cake

I made it a couple of years back. Just a typical recipe I found on the Internet. I made a half recipe just in a 9 inch square pan. It was YUM! It's an old fashioned type cake, very moist.

o

OK Ruthanna here is my recipe, it is written on scrap paper and I think it is for a 9 inch pan. Maybe double if you want to do a two layer cake, we can't eat a whole one of those. Not sure what kind of icing to recommend, I didn't serve it with icing since that was too rich for me.

It's kinda cryptic, but might give you a guide as to what is good.

325 degrees for 45 min.

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2.5 eggs (which would be two eggs and one egg white)
1.5 cups flour (1 1/2 cups) + 1/2 TBLSP
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup pecans (I can never afford pecans so I probably used walnuts)
1/2 cup jam.

I have no instructions with this but just your basic cake stuff--butter and flour your pan, mix together dry and wet ingredients and then fold together for batter. Bake until it's done and I use the toothpick test. You combine the jam with the wet ingredients, just mix it right in.

o

I only scored a 64 on the test. Some of those desserts I'd never even heard of much less eaten or made. :( It was fun though.

Lpink!!! (((hugs)))

/tricia

o

Good to see you, Lpink. Thanks for the recipe. I've made enough cakes that I'll just follow the normal mixing procedure. Most have a caramel icing and I have a good recipe for one but think I will wait to see if we like the cake before I make the frosting.

Tricia, I only tried 60 of the desserts but I confess there were a few of them that I tried and had no desire to eat a second time.

o

I got a 73, but I've never had fried coke or Watergate Salad or persimmon pudding.

I have made jam cake, though, with homemade blackberry jam. The recipe was from the old Farm Journal cookbooks, I think, and now I'll have to go look for it.

Annie

o

My score was also 64 - never heard of some of those desserts. I made a blackberry jam cake one time and it turned out well, but was way to sweet for me to ever make again.

This link below is similar to the recipe that I made.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kentucky Jam Cake at SouthernFood.about.com

o

Kentucky Jam cake sounds interesting.
Maybe use an "all fruit" spread
instead of actual jam?
I love the Polaner "All Fruit With Fiber Spreadable Fruit".

Good to "see" you, Lilpink.
Your recipe has been added to my 'To try' flle.

I got a whopping 54 on the dessert file test! :>)
Quite a few there I've never heard of, either.
The Fried Coke is one,
but it sounds interesting,
Anyone here know what it's like?
Have a recipe?
Hadn't thought about Watergate Salad in years,
And I love it!

Rusty

o

I made it once years ago. It was a Bundt cake with no icing. If it had been much less sweet it would have been very good. If I made it again I would experiment with that, but really I'd have to leave out all the sugar.

o

After looking at more recipes, I think I'll pass. Given the quantity of the sugar + the jam + the frosting, it may be the cake equivalent of sweet tea and that is not an item I like.

Rusty, I'd never heard of fried Coke either so I looked it up and it's deep-fried balls of Coke-flavored batter, served drizzled with Coke syrup and topped with whipped cream and cinnamon-sugar. It was introduced at the 2006 Texas State Fair and was very popular.

o

Thanks, Ruthanna.
I got side tracked today,
So haven't tried to find a Fried Coke description or recipe.

Sounds like it would be good, (kinda)
If you like the flavor of coke. . . . .

Rusty

o

I wondered about fried coke, too. I got a 62. I've never had a Snickers salad and I hope I never do. That Kentucky Cake would not appeal to me because I don't like overly sweet food.

o

It was very sweet, which is why I didn't do a frosting with it. You could cut the sugar to 2/3 cup maybe?? I just have the recipe around to use up old jam that tends to accumulate at my house. It was tasty though, moist and spicy. I wouldn't go out of my way to make it but would make it with leftover jam if I had some languishing around. Does not have to be blackberry jam, I think I used plum, 'cause that's what I had.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here