Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electric meat slicer

Posted by publickman (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 12:32

I've noticed that the price for electric meat slicers for home use has gone down since the last time I looked at them. When I asked about them here before, ReneeKY said that she thought they were too flimsy to be practical and that only commercial grade slicers were worth buying. I've also noticed that there are quite a few brands available.

Does anyone have personal experience with any of these machines? I think the biggest drawback is the use of counter space, but I'm willing to live with that. I would want one mainly to slice meat and cheese very thinly, and maybe onions, although the mandoline works well for those. I am also a bit concerned about the quality of the blade. I saw the Waring model at Lowes yesterday, and the blade seemed sharp enough and the adjustment for thickness also looked acceptable.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Home use meat slicers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electric meat slicer

Lars, I've had a WS slicer for 22 years. Originally, we purchased it for bread. Now, it's used for bread & all the uses you noted. Love it! It is NOT flimsy & is easy to clean. It does not live on the counter 'cause we go weeks w/o using it. Oh, we also use it for homemade smoked bacon. It's one of those appliances I wouldn't want to be w/o. We prepare our own lunch meats & it's terrific for things like slicing a large roast beef or ham.

/tricia

o

I don't think Williams-Sonoma still makes the meat slicer, but if yours works fine after 22 years, I think one of the other models should be acceptable.

Lars

o

DH bought one a few months ago and loves it. We use it mostly for slicing salumi..... it just tastes different when sliced thinly. Ours is a Chef's Choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chef's Choice model 610 slicer

o

We picked up a Waring Pro at Costco last year. We haven't used it much, but it seems to work well and it was the sturdiest one we saw in the price range.

o

Bumping this thread up because I'm interested in buying an electric slicer. Sorry if there's a newer thread, but I didn't find one.

It's not something I'd use a lot, so I'm not interested in the weight, footprint, or cost of even a cheap commercial unit like MTN.

I'm thinking about the most challenging thing I'd be looking to do is thin slices of raw top round for Rouladen. If you have a slicer, can you post a quick review and say if you think it would be up to that task?

Thanks in advance for not telling me I can slice meat with a knife! :)

o

"----Thanks in advance for not telling me I can slice meat with a knife! :)"

You can slice meat paper thin with a knife if you semi-freeze the meat.

:-)

I see meat slicers all the time in Goodwill stores.

dcarch

o

Something like this?

I bought this commercial Slicer back in 1993/4. And I bought it for the purpose of slicing a friend's homemade salami paper thin. Rick and Judy's salami was soooo gooood that it justified the cost of an expensive machine. I can't remember what I paid for it, but it was in $400 to $500.00 range.

Now it gets used basically to shave leftover prime rib for beef dip sandwiches.

Made in Italy - Food Machinery of America - Model #195.

Looks like they still make the same model. See Link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Meat Slicers

o

I ended up buying the Waring Pro, and the only (or main) complaint I would have about it is that it is difficult to adjust the thickness of the slices, especially for the very thin slices. It will still do very thin slices, but the adjustment is at the back instead of at the front, and the dial at the front would be much more convenient. That said, it still does everything I want and is fairly powerful at 130 watts. The more powerful the motor, the faster it will operate during difficult tasks. However, I really do not need it to be any faster, since I am not slicing mass quantities.

Most important consideration: how powerful the motor is.

Second: adjustability of slice thickness.

I opted for getting the most powerful motor, and even slicers costing 3-4 times as much were not more powerful. I bought a butcher block table from IKEA for this item, and I use it pretty much every day. It is great for slicing bread, which is what I use it for more than anything else, but I use it at least three times a week for cutting turkey breast, ham, and cheese for sandwiches. I also use it for hard salami, and that does slow it down a bit. Just do not expect it to cut through salami as if it were butter, as the butcher shop is able to.

Lars

o

In a perfect world... where my kitchen made Martha S JEALOUS... I'd definitely have a REAL deli slicer! I have a cheap-o slicer that I found at either a yard sale or thrift store for a few $$. I like it for slicing up turkey breast for roast beef. It does NOT come out DELI thin, but much thinner and more uniform than with my sharpest knife.

Also like to make my own bagel chips. One of the supermarkets I like to go to has discounted stuff from bakery area. "Fresh" bagels are $.65 each, but a bag of 6-8 (with a sell by date of TOMORROW) costs $1.50. My found slicer produces a much thinner result. I "doctor" slices up (LOTS of seasoning, butter and/or olive oil), then pop into oven in big roasting pan... at about 350, tossed about every 10 minutes till crispy. Much cheaper and more flavorful than box/bag bagel chips.

o

Just a point about slicing onions on a meat slicer- I was told by a service technician who came to fix one of those at the place where I worked, that you should not slice wet vegetables such as onions, tomatoes, lettuce etc (which the boss always did) on a meat slicer. Apparently the blade wicks up the juice into the workings and eventually the motor will short out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here