SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ritaotay

Nuwave Precision Induction Cooktop

ritaotay
11 years ago

My experience...

Saw the ad on TV... For $99.99 you buy one induction cooktop get the second one free and the Ultimate Cookware Set is free ( 3-1/2 qt Stainless Steel Pot, Stainless Steel Steamer, Glass Lid, Fondue Insert and 8 Fondue Forks ) and a 9" Perfectgreen Frying Pan as well as a 10.5" Perfectgreen Frying Pan ) all free for shipping and handling only.

Well, yes the second unit is free BUT the shipping and handling is $40.00!

And yes, the cookware is free but the shipping and handling is $70.00!!!

What I got was one Precision Induction Cooktop ( PIC ) and the Ultimate Cookware Set but no frying pans for $159.99 ( $99.99 for cooktop & pot and $59.90 for shipping and handling !!!!! ) The rest of the order was backordered.

Before I took anything else out of the box I grabbed the manual ( Oh, got the Recipe book/manual and a DVD ) and began to read it... You can't put the PIC on a metal surface.. I wanted to use it on my SS cooktop as a replacement for a bad burner... To disconnect the unit you must "turn any control to off".... Wait a minute there is NO off button on the unit... Never use any pot bigger then 9' on the PIC... Wait a minute the 3-1/2 qt pot is 9-3/4" and they want to send me a 10.5" frying pan.

On my first call I got the usual barrage of options and, naturally, the last one was the one I wanted.... After a full 15 MINUTES of Nuwave commercials I hung up... For the next two weeks I called the same number and only got a fast busy signal... On Monday ( 7-23 ) I called again and got a recording saying the number had been disconnected!!! ( Yes, I checked and tried again, same thing. )

BTW, in the meantime I tried the PIC with a cheap pan ( about 7" wide ) I got from Aldi's and it worked like a charm... ( you have to press the Pause button twice before removing the pot and unplugging the unit or the magnetic waves shoot all over the place )... It boiled about an inch and a half of water in about a minute... Worked great for beef stew, seared the meat on the Max/Sear setting then powered down to 200 degrees to simmer the meat and cook the rest... I was pleased that the PIC didn't heat up the kitchen, the entire surface of my 30 year old electric cooktop seems to generate heat across the most of the 45" by 22" surface every time I have two or more burners going... Oh, and I tried boiling 3 qts of water in the 3-1/2 qt pot --- After 30 minutes at 500 degrees it only came to a simmer ( tiny bubbles on the bottom of the pot. )

Anyway, today, after checking out a couple of their websites I found another 800 phone number and called... The pleasant woman I talked to couldn't believe that I was having so much trouble calling the 1-855 number and tried while I was waiting... After three attempts and getting the same fast busy she profusely apologized and put me on hold... She came back about a minute later and tried again, success, she got through, hung up and tried again... While she was going through the answering machine options she was asking me if I heard what was going on... She could barely hear me so she hung up and ask if I wanted her to call again, get me where I needed to be and let them talk to me or just call myself... I thanked her and then called myself...

I got through on the first try then AFTER A FULL 30 MINUTES OF COMMERCIALS I finally got a live person... The obviously haggard young woman listened to my complaints, tried to tell me that the 10.5" frying pan and 3-1/2 qt pot were actually only 9" across the bottom, then asked for the order number when I told her I wanted to cancel the rest of my order... I could tell she had gone through the same complaints many times... She told me that the $159.99 would be the only charge to my credit card and thanked me for my order.

Have I learned my lesson... YES!... Never buy anything from a TV ad that states you get a lot of free stuff for shipping and handling only.... $110.00 is NOT free.

More importantly, find out what can be used on it and where it can be used.

Rita

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County