Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NOAA says, "Eat sustainable - eat Lionfish"!

Posted by triciae (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 12:16

Anybody in Florida, the Carolinas, and the Gulf states see Lionfish at their fishmongers? If so, how do you prepare them? Tasty? I am old enough to remember when Lionfish were considered exotic and from far away islands. Are they good on the BBQ?

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: NOAA say,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NOAA says, "Eat sustainable - eat Lionfish"!

Interesting. But it's too pretty to eat. haha
I had no idea it is invasive. I actually thought it was like a Sculpin.
I follow MonteryBaySeafoodWatch and have the app on my phone.
(not a mention on their postings)

This video answers my questions and yours....I was curious how to clean them especially since they have stingers. Good recipes also. Seems to be mild that lends it to many flavors.
This was the first link i found...

Here is a link that might be useful: lionfish

o

I have seen them in Akumal as fish tacos.

but for those health conscious

“Once stripped of its venomous spines, cleaned and filleted like any other fish, the lionfish becomes delectable seafood fare,” NOAA officials enthused.

But another government agency, the Food and Drug Administration, now frowns on the “Eat Lionfish” campaign after tests of nearly 200 lionfish show that more than a quarter exceed federal levels for a toxin that can cause ciguatera, a potentially dangerous fish food poisoning.

“We certainly don’t promote any campaign like that since we have found levels above our guidance,” said Alison Robertson, the FDA’s lead ciguatera researcher for the chemical hazards branch of the Gulf Coast Seafood laboratory. “It certainly wouldn’t be our recommendation at this time.”

Robertson said she and other FDA scientists decided to test the lionfish in the summer of 2010 after hearing about NOAA’s gustatory effort.

Of 194 fish tested, 42 percent showed detectable levels of ciguatoxin and 26 percent were above the FDA’s illness threshold of 0.1 parts per billion.

Here is a link that might be useful: original article

o

Egads! Is nothing ever easy? Shoulda known there would be a gottcha somewhere and darn, the recipes sound so good! I was all prepared to wave the article in my fishmonger's face and tell him to get me some Lionfish for this weekend. :( lol

/t

o

Oh well. Good to know but i'm not anywhere near the crop.
I'll be fishing the NorthAtlantic in August and it is carefully regulated.
Reminded me about those Sculpin the French eat somehow...I just get nasty razor cuts and
toss them back...

The best site to follow? I use MBS Watch...

Here is a link that might be useful: MBS seafood watch

o

Yep, I use MBS also. We live on the water in SE CT and are distance boaters. We catch most of the fish we consume but I've never had Lionfish and it sounded like such a fun meal to invite a few friends over to share. Drats. lol

/tricia

o

After quickly read the FDA’s article, I get the impression that the danger is not great. Still I am not going to eat it, not at $16.00 a lb.

I can get live swimming tilapia for $2.75 a lb.

Speaking of live tilapia, and watching how they fillet a lionfish, I think we can help by eating the whole fish. A lot of good fish meat is thrown out when you fillet a fish.

Whenever possible I enjoy the whole fish. When you order fish in a Chinese restaurant, you get the whole fish. In many other parts of the world, every one eats the whole fish.

dcarch

o

There were some guys on the TV show Shark Tank trying to get some money to sell lionfish. They didn't get any bites. :-)

Yup, lionfish is a big problem in the Florida and the Caribbean - it's an invasive species that eats everything in sight and has no natural predators. That's why dumping your aquarium in open bodies of water isn't a good idea.

I've never tried it or seen it for sale anywhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here