Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellow squash recipe

Posted by finchelover (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 22, 09 at 12:09

Can any of you tell me how you fix your yellow squash
Do you bake as a casserole,slice put in salad of just fry in oil or butter. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellow squash recipe

Eating Well did an entire spread on squash this last issue, but these two caught my eye. I've had the cakes and like them, and a friend had the soup and said it was good.

2 medium summer squash (about a pound)
3 t chopped fresh herbs (thyme, oregano, etc.)
14 ounces low sodium chicken broth
1/4 t salt
1 c corn
1/2 c feta cheese

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot, stirring, 1 minute. Add squash and 1 t herbs, stirring occasionally, until squash softens (about 3-5 minutes).
2. Add broth and salt, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmering until squash is mostly translucent, about 5 minutes. Transfer to blender, use stick blender, etc. blend until smooth. Return soup to pan and stir in corn. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally until corn is tender, 3-5 more minutes. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice. Garnish with 2 teaspoons herbs and feta.

1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 cups shredded seeded summer squash (2-3 medium, about 1 pound; see Tip)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Beat egg in a large bowl. Stir in shallots, parsley, salt and pepper. Place shredded squash in the center of a clean kitchen towel; gather up the ends and twist to squeeze out any liquid. Add the squash and cheese to the bowl; stir to combine.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pack a 1/3-cup measuring cup with the squash mixture and unmold it into the pan; gently pat it down to form a 3-inch cake. Repeat, making 4 squash cakes. Cook until browned and crispy on the bottom, 3 to 4 minutes. Gently turn the cakes over and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 130 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrate; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 322 mg sodium; 406 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Calcium & Vitamin A (15% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat

TIP: Tip: To remove the seeds from summer squash, cut the squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. To shred the squash, use the large-holed side of a

**doesn't work with a stronger onion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eating Well squash recipe collection

o
I forgot

And this one. She made this and said it was good. Can you tell she's growing squash? ;)

Squash Relish

8 cups diced squash
2 cups diced onions
4 cups diced green pepper
Mix vegatables with 1 T. of salt, put in colander and let drain for 1 hour.

2 cups vinegar
3 cups sugar
2 t. mustard seed
2 t. celery seed
Bring to boil
Add vegatables and bring to second boil.

Pack in sterilized jars and seal. Boil completely covered for 5 minutes.

o

I line a 9X13 baking pan with foil. I mix softened butter, olive oil, s&p, fresh basil and a little Italian seasoning in a bowl. Set aside. Slice 5 small yellow squash, 5 zukes, 3 roma tomatoes, and a medium sized yellow onion. Toss all together with the olive oil mixture. Put in baking pan and bake in the oven at 350 till soft when poked with a skewer. Usually 25 minutes or so. You can also cook this on your grill without the baking pan and just using heavy duty foil to keep everything together. NancyLouise

o

Slice, salt, eat.
Slice, dip in egg, then seasoned bread crumbs, bake @ 450 about 25 minutes. Enjoy!

Fresh in salads.
Lightly steamed or sauted..........preferably slathered in butter...........sigh.
Bake with spaghetti sauce, topped with cheese.
Bake into bread.

Anywhere you'd use zucchini, you can use yellow squash!

Deanna

o

Hi finchelover,

As Deanna/dgkritch said, anywhere you would use zucchini you can use yellow/crookneck/summer/pattypan squash.

Sometimes I just rinse the squash, cut it in chunks or slice it, put it in a bowl & microwave it on High for about 3 minutes. If I feel gourmet-ish, I sprinkle it with Parmesan when it's cooked.

I've made the soup rob333 posted - it's really good, easy to prepare & not heavy, so is nice for hot weather.

I just made this vegetable dish that luckygardnr posted on the Kitchen Table. It's also really good & simple to make. Instead of zucchini I used yellow & green pattypan/summer squash.

Parmesan Baked Zucchini and Tomatoes
8 servings
8 plum tomatoes, sliced one-quarter-inch thick
5 small onions
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
4 zucchini, sliced one-quarter-inch thick on the diagonal
1 Tbsp dried oregano

1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and pour in oil. When it's hot, add onions and salt and pepper. Saut until the onions are softened and beginning to caramelize. Pour into the bottom of a 9" by 13" baking dish.
3. Begin layering tomato slices along the side of the pan to form an overlapping row. Overlap zucchini slices along edge of tomato row, and repeat alternating tomatoes and zucchinis, adjusting as necessary until the pan is filled.
4. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, oregano and grated Parmesan and bake for 30 minutes, or until top is golden and juices are bubbling.

o

Most of mine I just slice and nuke until warm... a little S&P. In the summer my chili morphs into a spicy vegtable soup and squash falls in the pot without a problem.

If you are growing your own get it while it is young. Older squash tend to get a tough rind.

: )
lyra

o

I made this a few nights ago and the whole family loved it. I bet it woudl be fab with yellow squash too!

Barefoot Contessa Recipes
Vegetable Tian (Serves 4 to 6)

Good olive oil
2 large yellow onions, cut in half and sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound medium round potatoes, unpeeled
3/4 pound zucchini
11/4 pounds medium tomatoes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus extra sprigs
2 ounces Gruyre cheese, grated

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Brush a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish with olive oil. In a medium saut pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and cook the onions over medium-low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Spread the onion mixture on the bottom of the baking dish.

Slice the potatoes, zucchini, and tomatoes in 1/4-inch-thick slices. Layer them alternately in the dish on top of the onions, fitting them tightly, making only one layer. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, thyme leaves, and thyme sprigs and drizzle with 1 more tablespoon of olive oil. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Uncover the dish, remove the thyme sprigs, sprinkle the cheese on top, and bake for another 30 minutes, or until browned. Serve warm.

o

Dh craves squash and onions, which seems to be similar to the Ina Garten recipe posted.

I film a frying pan with evoo and add sliced yellow onions.
Cook on medium high until crispy. Add thick sliced squash, some s & p, thyme, garlic and a dab of butter. Cook not turning, until squash is browned. Turn some and cook again to continue browning some more.
When everything is nicely browned add some Parmesan cheese and a splash of wine (optional)and serve.

If the squash is sliced too thin it will get mushy before browning. Also the heat should be fairly high to get a nice crust without over cooking.

I use equal amounts of squash and onions.

o

I toss slices of yellow squash, zucchini, and onion (and sometimes garlic and/or mushrooms or other veggies like nancylouise) with evoo, s&p and roast them outside on the gas grill in a grill pan. Yum!

like others I also sautee with evoo - & I like to add rosemary. I don't mind it a little mushy, so I tend to cut them thinner than bumble does

o

Here are two summer squash combos that we really enjoy:

1) Yellow summer squash, red onion, sweet red bell
pepper and white mushrooms, all cut into similar size &
shape - saute in butter/olive oil - season with herbs
de provence.

2) Yellow summer squash, Jonagold apples (sliced but not
peeled) and red onion - saute in butter - season with
salt, pepper and fresh thyme. (This is good with pork).

seagrass

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here