Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Safely Use This Cheese?

Posted by amck (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 11:57

I'm making M Stewart's Tomato Tart recipe which calls for Fontina cheese. I have a big unopened block in the fridge from last year's tomato season. I opened it and it still looks, smells and tastes fresh. Do you think it's safe and prudent to use in this baked tart?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Was Still in Wax Coating

Just want to add that it was encased in thick red wax coating, as well as sealed plastic packaging.

This post was edited by amck on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 12:08

o
RE: Can I Safely Use This Cheese?

Here's a link to Still Tasty that may give you some solid information. Just because a product is out of date doesn't mean it's "unsafe", but the texture, flavor, or other factors may be compromised without it being unsafe.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Still Tasty

o

I agree with Grainlady.

The point of cheese, however, is to preserve milk. Inspect the cheese. If it's damp, that might just be migrating water from being in the fridge so long, but it could also be a sign that there's mold going on. Scrape the surface and see if you find any mold. If yes, try to find how far in it goes. If it's just near the surface, pare all around it, including some of the unmoldy bit. If there's no mold, or it's easily removed, taste it.

If it tastes like Fontina, and it's soft, stretchy and not crumbly, it should be fine for your recipe. If you've done the recipe before and you don't really care about the texture, you can even use it crumbly. Fontina is a very tasty cheese. If it's only somewhat tasty, you can still use it, knowing it won't have as much of an impact.

Or if it's just okay, but not delicious enough for your tart, you can use it with other cheeses for mac and cheese, or on cheese toast, or something.

o

If it has fur growing on it, take it off. Wash the cheese and enjoy. It is cheese! The mold won't hurt you.

o

It is safe and prudent to use it any way you like. Enjoy! I love fontina.

o

Cheese is one of the few "safe" things you can cut away fur. Unlike bread (it permeates, so it's a no if you see or smell any hint of mold). You're golden since you don't even have fur!

o

Take it from a food microbiologist, your nose knows. If it smells edible, it probably is. Some cheeses are agreed for 10+ years. Don't waste it!

o

amck, you've probably already made your tart and lived to tell the tale, but I want to throw in my vote to go right ahead and use the Fontina.

I'll bet it was delicious.

Annie

o

Contrast to the Fontina I bought, pristine, less than a week ago, which had both blue and fur, and mold in the holes when I went to use it today. Nothing a little knife work can't fix, but you're lucky yours lasted a year...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here